XP Home stuck on current (restricted) user

Hello

I have a computer running XP Home SP2.

At the moment I cannot switch users or log-off the current user.
Unfortunately the user that is the current default has very restricted
rights and cannot install programs or access any other user.

Cannot seem to fix it and wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Echy
Melbourne, Australia
www.visitvictoria.com

Echy,
There must be at least one administrator account. Try logging on as the
administrator by following the below steps.

- Restart the computer. As computer boots . continually press the F8 key
- On the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu, select 'Safe Mode' > Enter
- When asked, select Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro > Enter
- On the 'To begin, click your user name screen', click Administrator
- Type the administrator password (same as the user's logon password) >
ENTER
Note:
In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In
this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER
- Click Yes to acknowledge that Windows is running in safe mode
Drew

Drew Tognola wrote:
> Echy,
> There must be at least one administrator account. Try logging on as the
> administrator by following the below steps.
>
> - Restart the computer. As computer boots . continually press the F8 key
> - On the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu, select 'Safe Mode' > Enter
> - When asked, select Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro > Enter
> - On the 'To begin, click your user name screen', click Administrator
> - Type the administrator password (same as the user's logon password) >
> ENTER
> Note:
> In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In
> this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER
> - Click Yes to acknowledge that Windows is running in safe mode
> Drew
>
> "echy" <user@domain.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I have a computer running XP Home SP2.
>>
>>At the moment I cannot switch users or log-off the current user.
>>Unfortunately the user that is the current default has very restricted
>>rights and cannot install programs or access any other user.
>>
>>Cannot seem to fix it and wondering if anyone has any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help
>>
>>Regards
>>Echy
>>Melbourne, Australia
>>www.visitvictoria.com

Many, many thanks Drew. Following your instructions got me to a login
screen that had not come up before. Logged in as the administrator and
Bingo I'm in with full rights.

Much appreciated.

Echy

glad to hear that. thanks.