HP External Array 4354R

I'm looking for someone who has experience with the 4354R external arrays.

I need to know if its possible to simply pick up HP / Compaq SCSI drive
trays, add 80pin scsi disks to the trays & then actually use them in the
array w/o issue. I wasn't sure if the HP/Compaq specific drives have
special firmware that a OEM market SCSI drive won't have.

I'm looking to make large RAID 5 volumes.

Chris

"Chris Little" <clittle_hosting@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for someone who has experience with the 4354R external arrays.
>
> I need to know if its possible to simply pick up HP / Compaq SCSI drive
> trays, add 80pin scsi disks to the trays & then actually use them in the
> array w/o issue. I wasn't sure if the HP/Compaq specific drives have
> special firmware that a OEM market SCSI drive won't have.
>
> I'm looking to make large RAID 5 volumes.
>
> Chris

Compaq / HP drives have special firmware, this does not mean that it does
not work with other drives, but it is not supportet, not serviced and so
on....., and you might have problem with the management agent making noise
about it the unknown firmware.

Take a look at: http://www.microstorage.com/ they sell oem solution using
standard disks.

I woundn´t use is in a produktion enviroment, but for test/less critical
installations I might be tempted.

Best Regards

Johnny