Invalid boot.ini ( different)

September 4, 2005 4:00:14 AM

I have looked at all the other boot.ini threads and replied to one in this
group. It didn't appear and looking into my sent items see it went to
win2000.general, must have been a crosspost.

Here is the jist of it...

Invalid Boot.ini file
Booting from C:\WINDOWS\

Hmm, what does that mean?
Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?

I have been having this problem for a while. I THOUGHT it was because I had
the first boot device set as CDROM and it was telling me...
Invalid boot.ini file( because it was trying to boot from CDrom and couldn't
find a boot.ini file) and it was then telling me..
(I am) booting from C:\windows\ ( because it couldn't boot from the cdrom)
Two different events( I thought)
Did that make sense?

Anyway, today I changed the boot order and I still see the same error. So
now I see its telling me the boot.ini file is invalid while trying to boot
from C:\windows\.

What's weird is that error flashes for a second or so , goes away and the
system boots right up.

What is going on?

I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2.
AMD 64 2800 MSI K7N neo Platinum with a Gig of ram (2 x 512)and a 256meg
9600XT. (should I get SP2?)
WD 80 gig sata unpartitioned (primary boot disk) and an old WD ide drive

The system DOES seem (always has) to lag when opening apps. It should just
fly me thinks.
Could the invalid boot.ini file be the culprit?

Now, that said, I ran msconfig..no boot.ini, did a search for boot.ini, just
found a back-up somewhere..
what is the easiest way to find this file? Is there a chance it is gone?
would the system run?

Thanks all for insight and if someone can post a boot.ini file that I could
use as well.

CAZ

More about : invalid boot ini

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:17:03 AM

Hello,

The boot device order has nothing to do with boot.ini file. When you set the
first boot device to cd rom if nothing is found on that the next boot device
will be searched and finally hard disk will be reached so the problem is with
damaged or corrupted "boot.ini" file.

You have to use Windows recovery console for that.
See here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"GotBonus?" wrote:

> I have looked at all the other boot.ini threads and replied to one in this
> group. It didn't appear and looking into my sent items see it went to
> win2000.general, must have been a crosspost.
>
> Here is the jist of it...
>
> Invalid Boot.ini file
> Booting from C:\WINDOWS\
>
> Hmm, what does that mean?
> Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
>

> I have been having this problem for a while. I THOUGHT it was because I had
> the first boot device set as CDROM and it was telling me...
> Invalid boot.ini file( because it was trying to boot from CDrom and couldn't
> find a boot.ini file) and it was then telling me..
> (I am) booting from C:\windows\ ( because it couldn't boot from the cdrom)
> Two different events( I thought)
> Did that make sense?
>
> Anyway, today I changed the boot order and I still see the same error. So
> now I see its telling me the boot.ini file is invalid while trying to boot
> from C:\windows\.
>
> What's weird is that error flashes for a second or so , goes away and the
> system boots right up.
>
> What is going on?
>
> I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2.
> AMD 64 2800 MSI K7N neo Platinum with a Gig of ram (2 x 512)and a 256meg
> 9600XT. (should I get SP2?)
> WD 80 gig sata unpartitioned (primary boot disk) and an old WD ide drive
>

> The system DOES seem (always has) to lag when opening apps. It should just
> fly me thinks.
> Could the invalid boot.ini file be the culprit?
>
> Now, that said, I ran msconfig..no boot.ini, did a search for boot.ini, just
> found a back-up somewhere..
> what is the easiest way to find this file? Is there a chance it is gone?
> would the system run?
>

> Thanks all for insight and if someone can post a boot.ini file that I could
> use as well.
>
> CAZ

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:45:00 AM

> Hello,
>
> The boot device order has nothing to do with boot.ini file. When you set
the
> first boot device to cd rom if nothing is found on that the next boot
device
> will be searched and finally hard disk will be reached so the problem is
with
> damaged or corrupted "boot.ini" file.
>
> You have to use Windows recovery console for that.
> See here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

Strange, i dont think i had a boot.ini file..is that possible?
when i typed bootcfg \list during the process it told me there was nothing
to list, so i just proceeded, all went fine after that and the error during
boot is gone.
Thank you

> --
> Regards,
> Pramit Roy
>

> "GotBonus?" wrote:
>
> > I have looked at all the other boot.ini threads and replied to one in
this
> > group. It didn't appear and looking into my sent items see it went to
> > win2000.general, must have been a crosspost.
> >
> > Here is the jist of it...
> >
> > Invalid Boot.ini file
> > Booting from C:\WINDOWS\
> >
> > Hmm, what does that mean?
> > Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
> >

> > I have been having this problem for a while. I THOUGHT it was because I
had
> > the first boot device set as CDROM and it was telling me...
> > Invalid boot.ini file( because it was trying to boot from CDrom and
couldn't
> > find a boot.ini file) and it was then telling me..
> > (I am) booting from C:\windows\ ( because it couldn't boot from the
cdrom)
> > Two different events( I thought)
> > Did that make sense?
> >
> > Anyway, today I changed the boot order and I still see the same error.
So
> > now I see its telling me the boot.ini file is invalid while trying to
boot
> > from C:\windows\.
> >
> > What's weird is that error flashes for a second or so , goes away and
the
> > system boots right up.
> >
> > What is going on?
> >
> > I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2.
> > AMD 64 2800 MSI K7N neo Platinum with a Gig of ram (2 x 512)and a 256meg
> > 9600XT. (should I get SP2?)
> > WD 80 gig sata unpartitioned (primary boot disk) and an old WD ide drive
> >

> > The system DOES seem (always has) to lag when opening apps. It should
just
> > fly me thinks.
> > Could the invalid boot.ini file be the culprit?
> >
> > Now, that said, I ran msconfig..no boot.ini, did a search for boot.ini,
just
> > found a back-up somewhere..
> > what is the easiest way to find this file? Is there a chance it is
gone?
> > would the system run?
> >

> > Thanks all for insight and if someone can post a boot.ini file that I
could
> > use as well.
> >
> > CAZ

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:44:01 AM

Well as far as I know it is impossible not having any boot.ini file at all.
That may be missing after you install Windows XP.

Glad to see you solved.

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"GotBonus?" wrote:

> [...]
> > > system boots right up.
> > >
> > > What is going on?
> > >
> > > I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2.
> > > AMD 64 2800 MSI K7N neo Platinum with a Gig of ram (2 x 512)and a 256meg
> > > 9600XT. (should I get SP2?)
> > > WD 80 gig sata unpartitioned (primary boot disk) and an old WD ide drive
> > >

> > > The system DOES seem (always has) to lag when opening apps. It should
> just
> > > fly me thinks.
> > > Could the invalid boot.ini file be the culprit?
> > >
> > > Now, that said, I ran msconfig..no boot.ini, did a search for boot.ini,
> just
> > > found a back-up somewhere..
> > > what is the easiest way to find this file? Is there a chance it is
> gone?
> > > would the system run?
> > >

> > > Thanks all for insight and if someone can post a boot.ini file that I

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:46:34 PM

Time out.
Its seems the fix , didn't.

Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very quickly in
post.
How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?

Thanks
sigh

> Well as far as I know it is impossible not having any boot.ini file at
all.
> That may be missing after you install Windows XP.
>
> Glad to see you solved.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pramit Roy
>

> "GotBonus?" wrote:
>

> > >Pramit Roy" <PramitRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > The boot device order has nothing to do with boot.ini file. When you
set
> > the
> > > first boot device to cd rom if nothing is found on that the next boot
> > device
> > > will be searched and finally hard disk will be reached so the problem
is
> > with
> > > damaged or corrupted "boot.ini" file.
> > >
> > > You have to use Windows recovery console for that.
> > > See here
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184
> > >

> > Strange, i dont think i had a boot.ini file..is that possible?
> > when i typed bootcfg \list during the process it told me there was
nothing
> > to list, so i just proceeded, all went fine after that and the error
during
> > boot is gone.
> > Thank you
> >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Pramit Roy

> > this

> > had
> > couldn't
> > cdrom)

> > So
> > boot

> > the

> > just

> > just
> > gone?

> > could

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:28:32 PM

"GotBonus?" wrote:
> Time out.
> Its seems the fix , didn't.
>
> Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very quickly in
> post.
> How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?

Maybe Start/Settings/Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab/
check "Display the contents of system folders".

Then open C:\boot.ini with Notepad and copy the contents
to the clipboard.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:25:24 PM

Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and
Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
--
Ron Sommer

"GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Time out.
> Its seems the fix , didn't.
>
> Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very quickly
> in
> post.
> How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?
>
> Thanks
> sigh
>

> "Pramit Roy" <PramitRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Well as far as I know it is impossible not having any boot.ini file at
> all.
>> That may be missing after you install Windows XP.
>>
>> Glad to see you solved.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Pramit Roy

> set
>> > the
>> > device
> is
>> > with

>> > Strange, i dont think i had a boot.ini file..is that possible?
>> > when i typed bootcfg \list during the process it told me there was
> nothing
>> > to list, so i just proceeded, all went fine after that and the error
> during
>> > boot is gone.
>> > Thank you

> in
>> > this

> because I
>> > had
>> > couldn't
>> > cdrom)

> error.
>> > So
>> > boot

> and
>> > the

> 256meg
> drive

> should
>> > just

> boot.ini,
>> > just
>> > gone?

>> > could

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:12:06 AM

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
news:o 1KTRBbsFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and
> Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
> --
> Ron Sommer

I got this the first time i clicked on the settings step..
The C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened. Operating system and timeout
settings can not be changed.
i cancelled through and it allowed me to then click on edit, where it tells
me this...
The boot.ini file cannot be found. would you like to create a new one? I
click yes and notepad appears(blank).

how can i NOT have a boot.ini file?

Now when i go back through the same steps i get no error, edit opens a blank
boot.ini file.

Now i did a search and find a boot file in C:\
There is also a boot.ini.backup in C:\WINDOWS\pss, i cannot open it

> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Time out.
> > Its seems the fix , didn't.
> >
> > Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very
quickly
> > in
> > post.
> > How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > sigh
> >

> > "Pramit Roy" <PramitRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Well as far as I know it is impossible not having any boot.ini file at
> > all.
> >> That may be missing after you install Windows XP.
> >>
> >> Glad to see you solved.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Pramit Roy

> > set
> > is

> > nothing
> > during

> > in

> > because I

> > error.

> > and

> > 256meg
> > drive

> > should

> > boot.ini,

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:15:08 AM

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "GotBonus?" wrote:
> > Time out.
> > Its seems the fix , didn't.
> >
> > Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very
quickly in
> > post.
> > How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?
>

> Maybe Start/Settings/Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab/
> check "Display the contents of system folders".
>
> Then open C:\boot.ini with Notepad and copy the contents
> to the clipboard.

Thanks to all for the replies.
The boot.ini file now exists(see previous post), but is empty.

> *TimDaniels*
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:49:55 AM

From another post:
--
Ron Sommer

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
/FASTDETECT

The above is a typical BOOT.INI file for a computer with a single hard disk
and XP installed on the first, or only partition. This is also for an SP2
system.

Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and
Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.

If your system differs from the one described, above, post back with more
info.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security

> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> news:o 1KTRBbsFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup
>> and
>> Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>>
> I got this the first time i clicked on the settings step..
> The C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened. Operating system and timeout
> settings can not be changed.
> i cancelled through and it allowed me to then click on edit, where it
> tells
> me this...
> The boot.ini file cannot be found. would you like to create a new one? I
> click yes and notepad appears(blank).
>
> how can i NOT have a boot.ini file?
>
> Now when i go back through the same steps i get no error, edit opens a
> blank
> boot.ini file.
>
> Now i did a search and find a boot file in C:\
> There is also a boot.ini.backup in C:\WINDOWS\pss, i cannot open it
>

>> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Time out.
>> > Its seems the fix , didn't.
>> >
>> > Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very
> quickly
>> > in
>> > post.
>> > How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > sigh
>> >

>> > "Pramit Roy" <PramitRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > all.

> you
>> > set
> boot
> problem
>> > is

>> > nothing
>> > during

> one
>> > in
> went

>> > because I
> and
> the

>> > error.
> trying

>> > and

>> > 256meg
> ide
>> > drive

>> > should

>> > boot.ini,
> is

> that

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:10:50 PM

> From another post:
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
> /FASTDETECT

Thanks, my system has is SP1, what need to be changed? i may get SP2 soon,
but want to make sure i have everything i want backed-up in case.
curious as to the timeout=30 how does that affect boot time?

> The above is a typical BOOT.INI file for a computer with a single hard
disk
> and XP installed on the first, or only partition. This is also for an SP2
> system.
>
> Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and
> Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
>
> If your system differs from the one described, above, post back with more
> info.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
>

> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 1KTRBbsFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup
> >> and
> >> Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> > I got this the first time i clicked on the settings step..
> > The C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened. Operating system and timeout
> > settings can not be changed.
> > i cancelled through and it allowed me to then click on edit, where it
> > tells
> > me this...
> > The boot.ini file cannot be found. would you like to create a new one?
> > click yes and notepad appears(blank).
> >
> > how can i NOT have a boot.ini file?
> >
> > Now when i go back through the same steps i get no error, edit opens a
> > blank
> > boot.ini file.
> >
> > Now i did a search and find a boot file in C:\
> > There is also a boot.ini.backup in C:\WINDOWS\pss, i cannot open it
> >

> >> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > quickly

> > you
> > boot
> > problem

> > one
> > went

CDrom
> > and
> > the

> > trying

> > ide

> > is

> > that

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:06:17 AM

I believe /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN is added with SP2.

I use timeout=3

--

> [...]
>>

>> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>> > news:o 1KTRBbsFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> >>
>> > I got this the first time i clicked on the settings step..
>> > The C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened. Operating system and timeout
>> > settings can not be changed.
>> > i cancelled through and it allowed me to then click on edit, where it
>> > tells
>> > me this...
>> > The boot.ini file cannot be found. would you like to create a new one?
>> > click yes and notepad appears(blank).
>> >
>> > how can i NOT have a boot.ini file?
>> >
>> > Now when i go back through the same steps i get no error, edit opens a
>> > blank
>> > boot.ini file.
>> >
>> > Now i did a search and find a boot file in C:\
>> > There is also a boot.ini.backup in C:\WINDOWS\pss, i cannot open it

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:07:37 AM

Very good.
So as you posted without the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

I am assuming if I get SP2 that will be added?

going to give it a try

> I believe /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN is added with SP2.
>
> I use timeout=3
>
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> >> From another post:
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> >> [boot loader]
> >> timeout=30
> >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> >> [operating systems]
> >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP"
/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
> >> /FASTDETECT
> >>

> > Thanks, my system has is SP1, what need to be changed? i may get SP2
soon,
> > but want to make sure i have everything i want backed-up in case.
> > curious as to the timeout=30 how does that affect boot time?
> >
> >> The above is a typical BOOT.INI file for a computer with a single hard
> > disk
> >> and XP installed on the first, or only partition. This is also for an
> >> SP2
> >> system.
> >>
> >> Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup
> >> and
> >> Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
> >>
> >> If your system differs from the one described, above, post back with
more
> >> info.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> >> Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >>

> >> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message

Startup

> > at

> > message

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

> > error

> > CDrom
> > from

> > same

> > 512)and

> > it

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:15:31 AM

Seems to have worked, the only difference is see now is a short pause where
I am asked which version of windows I want to use( I think, it was fast..I.E
timeout=3?). Then the startup continues normally.

Is that what should happen?

> Very good.
> So as you posted without the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
>
> I am assuming if I get SP2 that will be added?
>
> going to give it a try
>

> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> > I believe /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN is added with SP2.
> >
> > I use timeout=3
> >
> > --
> > Ron Sommer
> >
> > "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

> /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
> > >>

> > > Thanks, my system has is SP1, what need to be changed? i may get SP2
> soon,
> > > but want to make sure i have everything i want backed-up in case.
> > > curious as to the timeout=30 how does that affect boot time?

> > > disk

Startup

> more

> Startup