Invalid boot.ini ( different)

I have looked at all the other boot.ini threads and replied to one in this
group. It didn't appear and looking into my sent items see it went to
win2000.general, must have been a crosspost.

Here is the jist of it...

Invalid Boot.ini file
Booting from C:\WINDOWS\

Hmm, what does that mean?
Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?

I have been having this problem for a while. I THOUGHT it was because I had
the first boot device set as CDROM and it was telling me...
Invalid boot.ini file( because it was trying to boot from CDrom and couldn't
find a boot.ini file) and it was then telling me..
(I am) booting from C:\windows\ ( because it couldn't boot from the cdrom)
Two different events( I thought)
Did that make sense?

Anyway, today I changed the boot order and I still see the same error. So
now I see its telling me the boot.ini file is invalid while trying to boot
from C:\windows\.

What's weird is that error flashes for a second or so , goes away and the
system boots right up.

What is going on?

I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2.
AMD 64 2800 MSI K7N neo Platinum with a Gig of ram (2 x 512)and a 256meg
9600XT. (should I get SP2?)
WD 80 gig sata unpartitioned (primary boot disk) and an old WD ide drive

The system DOES seem (always has) to lag when opening apps. It should just
fly me thinks.
Could the invalid boot.ini file be the culprit?

Now, that said, I ran msconfig..no boot.ini, did a search for boot.ini, just
found a back-up somewhere..
what is the easiest way to find this file? Is there a chance it is gone?
would the system run?

Thanks all for insight and if someone can post a boot.ini file that I could
use as well.

CAZ
14 answers Last reply
More about invalid boot different

    Hello,

    The boot device order has nothing to do with boot.ini file. When you set the
    first boot device to cd rom if nothing is found on that the next boot device
    will be searched and finally hard disk will be reached so the problem is with
    damaged or corrupted "boot.ini" file.

    You have to use Windows recovery console for that.
    See here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    > Hello,
    >
    > The boot device order has nothing to do with boot.ini file. When you set
    the
    > first boot device to cd rom if nothing is found on that the next boot
    device
    > will be searched and finally hard disk will be reached so the problem is
    with
    > damaged or corrupted "boot.ini" file.
    >
    > You have to use Windows recovery console for that.
    > See here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

    Strange, i dont think i had a boot.ini file..is that possible?
    when i typed bootcfg \list during the process it told me there was nothing
    to list, so i just proceeded, all went fine after that and the error during
    boot is gone.
    Thank you

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Pramit Roy
    >

    > "GotBonus?" wrote:
    >
    > > I have looked at all the other boot.ini threads and replied to one in
    this
    > > group. It didn't appear and looking into my sent items see it went to
    > > win2000.general, must have been a crosspost.
    > >
    > > Here is the jist of it...
    > >
    > > Invalid Boot.ini file
    > > Booting from C:\WINDOWS\
    > >
    > > Hmm, what does that mean?
    > > Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
    > >

    > > I have been having this problem for a while. I THOUGHT it was because I
    had
    > > the first boot device set as CDROM and it was telling me...
    > > Invalid boot.ini file( because it was trying to boot from CDrom and
    couldn't
    > > find a boot.ini file) and it was then telling me..
    > > (I am) booting from C:\windows\ ( because it couldn't boot from the
    cdrom)
    > > Two different events( I thought)
    > > Did that make sense?
    > >
    > > Anyway, today I changed the boot order and I still see the same error.
    So
    > > now I see its telling me the boot.ini file is invalid while trying to
    boot
    > > from C:\windows\.
    > >
    > > What's weird is that error flashes for a second or so , goes away and
    the
    > > system boots right up.
    > >
    > > What is going on?
    > >
    > > I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2.
    > > AMD 64 2800 MSI K7N neo Platinum with a Gig of ram (2 x 512)and a 256meg
    > > 9600XT. (should I get SP2?)
    > > WD 80 gig sata unpartitioned (primary boot disk) and an old WD ide drive
    > >

    > > The system DOES seem (always has) to lag when opening apps. It should
    just
    > > fly me thinks.
    > > Could the invalid boot.ini file be the culprit?
    > >
    > > Now, that said, I ran msconfig..no boot.ini, did a search for boot.ini,
    just
    > > found a back-up somewhere..
    > > what is the easiest way to find this file? Is there a chance it is
    gone?
    > > would the system run?
    > >

    > > Thanks all for insight and if someone can post a boot.ini file that I
    could
    > > use as well.
    > >
    > > CAZ

    Well as far as I know it is impossible not having any boot.ini file at all.
    That may be missing after you install Windows XP.

    Glad to see you solved.

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "GotBonus?" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > system boots right up.
    > > >
    > > > What is going on?
    > > >
    > > > I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2.
    > > > AMD 64 2800 MSI K7N neo Platinum with a Gig of ram (2 x 512)and a 256meg
    > > > 9600XT. (should I get SP2?)
    > > > WD 80 gig sata unpartitioned (primary boot disk) and an old WD ide drive
    > > >

    > > > The system DOES seem (always has) to lag when opening apps. It should
    > just
    > > > fly me thinks.
    > > > Could the invalid boot.ini file be the culprit?
    > > >
    > > > Now, that said, I ran msconfig..no boot.ini, did a search for boot.ini,
    > just
    > > > found a back-up somewhere..
    > > > what is the easiest way to find this file? Is there a chance it is
    > gone?
    > > > would the system run?
    > > >

    > > > Thanks all for insight and if someone can post a boot.ini file that I

    Time out.
    Its seems the fix , didn't.

    Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very quickly in
    post.
    How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?

    Thanks
    sigh

    "GotBonus?" wrote:
    > Time out.
    > Its seems the fix , didn't.
    >
    > Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very quickly in
    > post.
    > How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?

    Maybe Start/Settings/Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab/
    check "Display the contents of system folders".

    Then open C:\boot.ini with Notepad and copy the contents
    to the clipboard.

    *TimDaniels*

    Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and
    Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and
    > Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
    > --
    > Ron Sommer

    I got this the first time i clicked on the settings step..
    The C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened. Operating system and timeout
    settings can not be changed.
    i cancelled through and it allowed me to then click on edit, where it tells
    me this...
    The boot.ini file cannot be found. would you like to create a new one? I
    click yes and notepad appears(blank).

    how can i NOT have a boot.ini file?

    Now when i go back through the same steps i get no error, edit opens a blank
    boot.ini file.

    Now i did a search and find a boot file in C:\
    There is also a boot.ini.backup in C:\WINDOWS\pss, i cannot open it

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "GotBonus?" wrote:
    > > Time out.
    > > Its seems the fix , didn't.
    > >
    > > Problem has returned, perhaps it never went away, it flashes very
    quickly in
    > > post.
    > > How do I find the contents of the boot.ini file so I can post it?
    >

    > Maybe Start/Settings/Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab/
    > check "Display the contents of system folders".
    >
    > Then open C:\boot.ini with Notepad and copy the contents
    > to the clipboard.

    Thanks to all for the replies.
    The boot.ini file now exists(see previous post), but is empty.

    > *TimDaniels*

    From another post:
    --
    Ron Sommer

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    /FASTDETECT

    The above is a typical BOOT.INI file for a computer with a single hard disk
    and XP installed on the first, or only partition. This is also for an SP2
    system.

    Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and
    Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.

    If your system differs from the one described, above, post back with more
    info.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security

    > From another post:
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    > /FASTDETECT

    Thanks, my system has is SP1, what need to be changed? i may get SP2 soon,
    but want to make sure i have everything i want backed-up in case.
    curious as to the timeout=30 how does that affect boot time?

    > The above is a typical BOOT.INI file for a computer with a single hard
    disk
    > and XP installed on the first, or only partition. This is also for an SP2
    > system.
    >
    > Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and
    > Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
    >
    > If your system differs from the one described, above, post back with more
    > info.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    >

    > "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > >> Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup
    > >> and
    > >> Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
    > >> --
    > >> Ron Sommer
    > >>
    > > I got this the first time i clicked on the settings step..
    > > The C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened. Operating system and timeout
    > > settings can not be changed.
    > > i cancelled through and it allowed me to then click on edit, where it
    > > tells
    > > me this...
    > > The boot.ini file cannot be found. would you like to create a new one?
    > > click yes and notepad appears(blank).
    > >
    > > how can i NOT have a boot.ini file?
    > >
    > > Now when i go back through the same steps i get no error, edit opens a
    > > blank
    > > boot.ini file.
    > >
    > > Now i did a search and find a boot file in C:\
    > > There is also a boot.ini.backup in C:\WINDOWS\pss, i cannot open it
    > >

    > >> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > > quickly

    > > you
    > > boot
    > > problem

    > > one
    > > went

    CDrom
    > > and
    > > the

    > > trying

    > > ide

    > > is

    > > that

    I believe /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN is added with SP2.

    I use timeout=3

    --

    > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    >> From another post:
    >> --
    >> Ron Sommer
    >>
    >> [boot loader]
    >> timeout=30
    >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >> [operating systems]
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    >> /FASTDETECT
    >>

    > Thanks, my system has is SP1, what need to be changed? i may get SP2 soon,
    > but want to make sure i have everything i want backed-up in case.
    > curious as to the timeout=30 how does that affect boot time?
    >
    >> The above is a typical BOOT.INI file for a computer with a single hard
    > disk
    >> and XP installed on the first, or only partition. This is also for an
    >> SP2
    >> system.
    >>
    >> Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup
    >> and
    >> Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
    >>
    >> If your system differs from the one described, above, post back with more
    >> info.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >>

    >> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    >> >>
    >> > I got this the first time i clicked on the settings step..
    >> > The C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened. Operating system and timeout
    >> > settings can not be changed.
    >> > i cancelled through and it allowed me to then click on edit, where it
    >> > tells
    >> > me this...
    >> > The boot.ini file cannot be found. would you like to create a new one?
    >> > click yes and notepad appears(blank).
    >> >
    >> > how can i NOT have a boot.ini file?
    >> >
    >> > Now when i go back through the same steps i get no error, edit opens a
    >> > blank
    >> > boot.ini file.
    >> >
    >> > Now i did a search and find a boot file in C:\
    >> > There is also a boot.ini.backup in C:\WINDOWS\pss, i cannot open it

    >> > quickly

    > at

    > message

    >> > you
    >> > boot
    >> > problem

    > error

    >> > one
    >> > went

    > CDrom
    >> > and
    > from
    >> > the

    > same
    >> > trying

    > 512)and
    >> > ide

    > it
    >> > is

    >> > that

    Very good.
    So as you posted without the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

    I am assuming if I get SP2 that will be added?

    going to give it a try

    > I believe /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN is added with SP2.
    >
    > I use timeout=3
    >
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > >> From another post:
    > >> --
    > >> Ron Sommer
    > >>
    > >> [boot loader]
    > >> timeout=30
    > >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > >> [operating systems]
    > >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP"
    /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    > >> /FASTDETECT
    > >>

    > > Thanks, my system has is SP1, what need to be changed? i may get SP2
    soon,
    > > but want to make sure i have everything i want backed-up in case.
    > > curious as to the timeout=30 how does that affect boot time?
    > >
    > >> The above is a typical BOOT.INI file for a computer with a single hard
    > > disk
    > >> and XP installed on the first, or only partition. This is also for an
    > >> SP2
    > >> system.
    > >>
    > >> Once you're in Windows, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup
    > >> and
    > >> Recovery, Settings, and click the Edit button.
    > >>
    > >> If your system differs from the one described, above, post back with
    more
    > >> info.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > >> Display\Security
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >>

    > >> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message

    Startup

    > > at

    > > message

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

    > > error

    > > CDrom
    > > from

    > > same

    > > 512)and

    > > it

    Seems to have worked, the only difference is see now is a short pause where
    I am asked which version of windows I want to use( I think, it was fast..I.E
    timeout=3?). Then the startup continues normally.

    Is that what should happen?

    > Very good.
    > So as you posted without the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    >
    > I am assuming if I get SP2 that will be added?
    >
    > going to give it a try
    >

    > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > > I believe /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN is added with SP2.
    > >
    > > I use timeout=3
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ron Sommer
    > >
    > > "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

    > /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    > > >>

    > > > Thanks, my system has is SP1, what need to be changed? i may get SP2
    > soon,
    > > > but want to make sure i have everything i want backed-up in case.
    > > > curious as to the timeout=30 how does that affect boot time?

    > > > disk

    Startup

    > more

    > Startup

    > one?

    > message
    > file
    > > > at

    > > > message

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

    > > > error

    > > > CDrom
    > > > from

    > > > same

    > goes

    > > > 512)and

    > for
    > chance
    > > > it

    Correct
    --

    > Seems to have worked, the only difference is see now is a short pause
    > where
    > I am asked which version of windows I want to use( I think, it was
    > fast..I.E
    > timeout=3?). Then the startup continues normally.
    >
    > Is that what should happen?
    >

    > GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Very good.
    >> So as you posted without the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    >>
    >> I am assuming if I get SP2 that will be added?
    >>
    >> going to give it a try
    >>

    >> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    >> > I believe /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN is added with SP2.
    >> >
    >> > I use timeout=3
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ron Sommer
    >> >
    >> > "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message