Can I run a Tualatin Celeron with 440BX?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
here it goes
I have an old motherboard, Abit BF6, intel 440BX chipset based. It has an old Celeron500 (Mendocino) sitting on it
I wonder if I can do any CPU upgrade for this mobo? with a Celeron1300 (Tualatin) for example? is that possible?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I think its possible. but probably not worth the cost or effort. I think you need a slot1 converter card then possibly a bios upgrade. In therory it should work but ya never know maybe your mb won't have a bios to allow it.

is your board is slot1 ?

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Wait for Crashman before settling on anything...

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=521622#521622" target="_new">From the Motherboards FAQ:</A>

Q. I have a Slot 1 board and have heard about using an inexpensive Upgradeware adapter to make the newer Tualatin CPU's work, any recommendations?

A. It depends on whether your motherboard uses the original VRM 8.2 voltage regulator or the later VRM 8.4 version. The Upgradeware adapter's voltage adjustments do nothing more than manipulate the voltage detection pins of the Slot1 package. So you can have your CPU detected at voltages from 1.30v to 2.05v. And the MOTHERBOARD'S Voltage Regulator will set the voltage to whatever it detects, UNLESS it's out of range. That means, if your board has the earlier VRM 8.2 voltage regulator, which has operational voltages from 1.8 upwards, you would have to set the Upgradeware adapter to AT LEAST 1.8v just to get it to boot! 1.8v is fine to get Coppermine CPU's to work on VRM 8.2 boards, because the Coppermine is .18 micron and can handle it. The Tualatin however is .13 micron, and voltages above 1.70v are likely to damage it!

VRM 8.4. was released in anticipation of the Coppermine core CPU and allows voltages down to 1.5v or less. So basically, if your board was designed or revised for use with Coppermine CPU's, it will work with the Tualatin on the Upgradeware adapter at reasonable voltages (1.50v recommended). Otherwise, you'll need a Powerleap adapter, as these have their own ONBOARD VRM, which allows the board to detect the adapter itself at a higher voltage while the CPU operates on a separate voltage input from the Powerleap VRM.
BF6 supports Coppermines as far as I know, which would mean it has VRM 8.4, which would mean it also supports the Upgradeware Slot-T adapter, which would be the BEST solution for running a Tualatin on that board. I usually recommend the Tualatin Celeron 1100@1466/133 in order to overcome the memory bottleneck of the original 100MHz bus speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ya u can run a tully in a bx...

actually the bx is probably the best chipset to run a tualatin in.

BTW new egg and googlegear are both selling the tualatin 1.2 for 39 bux. The 1.1 and 1.0a are 55 bux. I would recomend going for the 1.2, just cause its 15 bux cheeper, mine was able to hit 1.6 at 1.70 and did 1.7ghz at astronomical voltages.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
thx, Crashman and piii_man
ok..then do I need a special adapter for that? cuz my old celeron is actually sitting on that board with a "unknown" adapter, which is writting "PGA-370"..can I simply use that adapter or i need a new one?
there is only one jumper on that adapter, i don't really know what's that for.. :tongue:
btw, how do i make sure that it has VRM 8.4?
thx for any helps~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
go to <A HREF="http://www.upgradeware.com" target="_new">http://www.upgradeware.com</A>. Yes you need a special adapter, that's the best one to get, cost $20 in the U.S., and there's a compatability list on the site.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I just went to Abit's web site, it doesn't say that BF6 is supporting Tualatin..
<A HREF="http://www.abit.com.tw/page/ta/download/download_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Bios&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=BF6&pSOCKET_TYPE=Slot+1" target="_new">Abit BF6</A>
or it supports IF i use that upgradeware?
and i'll need a Bios upgrade right?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMFG! d00d, NONE of these boards support Tualatin natively, they ALL require an adapter! And you probably didn't go to upgradware's site did you?

If it supports Coppermine, it supports Tualatin by use of an Upgradeware adapter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
How's this sound: I used to refurbish boards and sell them on eBay, ALL my Abit and Asus boards worked with the Upgradeware adapter and a Celeron 1100@1466.

The only thing that prevents them from working is that some VERY early boards didn't support voltages below 1.80v. ALL were revised to support Coppermines, and ALL those revised boards support Tualatins on the Upgradeware adapter. In addition, ALL boards released after the Coppermine were compatable.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
mine should be able to do that, I can set the voltage manually from 1.x to 2.x (i don't remember)
however, is that board going to be able to do 133FSB? when I set 133FSB, PCI becomes 1/4, but AGP stays at 2/3, will it work?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
what gpu?

BTW this was pulled from abits webpage, This board does not support Tualatin core PIII / Celeron processors, in regaurds to the BF6.

110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
None of your boards do either, but for some odd reason they work.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some cards work OK, others don't. You could run it at stock speed if you HAD to.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Well i thought he was wondering if they nativly support the tully.

BTW my cusl2 has the tully microcodes...i suppose that is half ass support.

110% BX fanboy

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Anyhow..I'll give it a try, that computer won't be for gaming anyway, purely for Internet surfing or word processing...maybe some games..but really rare, so I guess that even with 100Mhz bus should do fine...I just don't want to waste a good board
for games, I got my XP2600+ here :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, well we've already established it needs an adapter. All slot 1 boards need an adapter for ANY socketed chip! And we've already established that he needs his adapter to be Tualatin compatable. Telling him the board doesn't support Tualatins is like telling him an adapter won't work.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, your CUSL2 needs a different kind of adaptor, unless you wire mod a Tually.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Leave the old CPU in there. Word processing and web browsing take very little power.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It probably would if you had 512MB of RAM. But XP is an inferior OS for such a system, I suggest the far faster Windows 98SE operating system.