jusval

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
Hello and thanks for reading my post.
I have run AMD systems for several years, most recently an Athlon 3200+ on an Abit NF7-S (rev2.0), with (2) 512meg sticks of OCZ 433mhz DDR(dual) and an FX5900 128meg AGP card. The rest of the system was pretty generic, a Maxtor 80gig HDD, Samsung DVD, Samsung CDRW, Nec DVD-RW, Windows XP Pro... Using the onboard sound and 5.1 speakers... All on my AMD systems have always run very smoothly and have handled most everything I have thrown an them, from games, to benchmarks, to video, etc...

My problem is with a P4 system that I have just set up. I am not very familiar with Intel, so I am asking for some help. Here's what I have: I have a P4 2.8C processor on an Asus P4P800 board (not deluxe), I used the same OCZ DDR433 memory sticks (dual) and the same FX5900 video card and all the rest of the system is the same, so I basically just changed mobo and processor. Cooling of the processor is with an aftermarket Thermaltake cooler and from the Asus utility, the processor runs normally around 36c idle and 44c when under a load. Power is from a 600w ATX PS...
The system runs games, browsing and all the benchmarks with no hiccups, but one program in particular, will lock the thing down, or slow it to a crawl... It is an editor for making 3d virtual worlds.

A "map" is made, then textures applied to the surface, then objects applied to the surface - trees, bushes, water, etc... In this editor, when I try to add/copy an object, such as a tree, I would select an object, then copy it (1 or more) to another area... When I try to do this with the P4 system, it freezes completely, or it takes several minutes to just register the selection part, never getting to the copy part...
I use this software quite often and the AMD processors Always handled this without any hitches. The 3200+ and the 2500+ I had never slowed or locked up in this program, but the P4 does not seem to be able to handle it... In this particular program, I know that when there are many objects on the landscape, that it takes a lot to process all that the "eye can see", but I thought Intel would be better at this... Was I wrong?. I do not see anything wrong with the system itself, but I do not know enough... I don't think I will ever know enough. It does not appear to be an issue with XP. I do not get any "error status" XP windows, even if I have to reboot... I think that the processing just halts, for whatever reason and it sits there till I reboot. I know I'm probably too vauge, but if anyone has any info on this, I would appreciate it...

This problem was present from the begining and the system is running "stock", not overclocked. Without resolving this issue, I wouldn't even attempt to overclock. If it is inherent to P4, then I'll be going back to AMD, but I just don't know if there's not something I might do to resolve it. All drivers are the newest versions available and the bios is the newest version as well. No updates available for the 3d program, but as I say it has worked flawlessly with the AMD systems...

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Why don't you ask the company that develops the program?? Also, telling us the program's name might help that way we might be able to test it ourselves or tell you if we have had similar or opposite problems with it.

In the meantime though, I'll try to help. First, is all of your cache enabled? Second, did you make a clean install of XP, or just resume using the AXP install (not that it is even possible, I think)? Third, is your memory in dual channel (shouldn't make THAT much of a difference, though)? Fourth, are all your HDD drivers okay (i.e., do you have Intel Application Accelerator installed--now I'm really going out on a limb)? Fifth, have you tried reinstalling the program and/or XP?

This doesn't sound like a processor problem but rather a data or data access problem. The fact that you game fine on it also leads me to believe that it is not processor related.

BTW, why did you switch from 3200+ to 2.8C?? I know there is an increase in performance, but it is hardly worth $300 (which is probably less than what the Asus and P4C cost combined).

Damn Rambus.

jusval

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
Ok, as for the program, it's the editor program used in a couple of different games. It's the "Aspen editor" for Trophy Hunter 2003 & Deer Hunter 2004. (I know, but living alone, it's my TV & entertainment center)... I have not contacted the makers yet. I did not, due to the fact that it worked so well in my other systems, I took for granted that it would work in this one... I may contact them, but Atair's help has never amounted to much with these low selling games...

As for the rest of the questions:
First; Ok, I assume all of the cache is enabled, Sandra shows 512 ECC Syncronous ATC cache, so I assume (once again), that it is enabled.

Second; It's a completely fresh install of XP Pro and Service Pack for XP.

Third; Yes Dual Channel. running at 400mhz according to bios.

Fourth; As far as HDD drivers, I have installed the newest version of intel drivers from the Asus web site, but the HDD does not run at all, when using this editor, it does it all through processor/ram and only writes to the drive when something is "saved"... Changes made while in the editor are stored in ram, I would imagine written to virtual memory on HDD if ram overflows occur... (again assuming)... but I never see the HDD run unless I'm saving a change...

Fifth; I have tried reinstalling the program and the editor after uninstalling it. I have not tried reinstalling XP, due to the fact that this is the only program giving me fits right now...

BTW: I switched to the P4, because it's been eons since I played with an Intel processor and because of all the comments/articles I have read about how AMD has dropped the ball and Intel is batting a thousand... I live alone and money is not a problem. I sold the AMD/Abit to compensate for the costs of the P4/P4P800 and it isn't $300.00 everywhere...

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
The performance difference between AXP 3200+ and P4 2.8C GHz is not worth spending extra money

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

ironmike

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
DO you have mem.test 86,if not go to google search and download,you will have put on a floppy.Test memory with it and if your getting errors go to bios and jump up Vdimm voltage to 2.7,if no errors then try 2.6.I am not an expert but maybe that will help.If you wanna go straight to bios and jump it up thats ok to.I am no expert but i had to do that myself.

The man of steel said that

jusval

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
The performance difference between an AMD 3200+ and a P4 2.8c running at 3.4-3.5 gig, Is worth the price difference. Right now the P4 is cheaper than the 3200+.
2.8c's are running $229.00 and an XP 3200+@400mhz is $329.00 and the P4 should overclock faster than the AMD. That's my intention, is to clock this rig. I am running it stock now, but the intention is to overclock...

ironmike

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
Sorry if its not a memory problem then i just dont know.Good luck to you and hope you find the problem.

The man of steel said that

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
jusval, this appears to be a good source of info on that game and links to map making sites:

<A HREF="http://www.huntersrealmforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22" target="_new">http://www.huntersrealmforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22</A>

Maybe someone there knows if there is a problem with this software?

Best of luck...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
a Very few applications can have problems with hyperthreading. Try turning hypertheading off in BIOS and see if it makes a difference.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just a side note to that - If that is your problem - it's not Intel's fault, it's bad programming that causes it...

I know interbase 6 suffers from hyperthreading incompatibilities.. Found that out the hard way. :frown:

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

jusval

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
It may be due to "bad programming", but my point is that the AMD processors handle it ok and if it is something to do with actual compatibility and not something that can be readily fixed, I would then go back to AMD, but others running P4 machines and this software seem not to have this problem, so I'm wondering if it's particular to my system, due to the combo of processor, chipset, memory, etc... I'm afraid it might be a very hard one to troubleshoot and in the long run, not worth the process of finding out... Except that I will learn something by it...

jusval

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
I turned Hyper-Threading off and it works, so it's the program and no suport from Atari, so It's either waste the program or waste the P4, hmmmmmm let me see..... LOL, that's an easy one... Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it and all the responses...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Personally, I'd stick with the P4 and just turn off HT when I wish to use that program. AMD simply don't have a chip that'll beat the P4C 2.8 (at a similar price), in virtually all applications.

I'm sure applications exist with similar problems on AMD systems.

But at the end of the day, whatever works for your needs <i>is</i> the golden rule.

---