Totally confused on Monitor

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Monitors
  • HDMI
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 18, 2010 10:08:48 AM

I want to buy a monitor (yeah.. Full HD) of 22-24 inches size.

Usage
- Reading PDFs and development: HENCE, text should be very smooth and eye strain should be none
- Watching movies: SHOULD give good display from different vieweing angle so that I can grap popcorn and watch from bed
- In future when I buy a laptop (with DVI/HDMI) or DTH(with HDMI) or DVD player (with HDMI), should connect easily!
currently, I just have analog input.
- Gaming: I love to Play Serious Sam and waiting for Serious SAM III (after completing I and II .. yeepeee)

Confusions: :fou: 
- LCD v/s LED - Dell v/s Samsung v/s Benq - Response times.. etc etc etc

Shortlisted Models with so far research:
BENQ G2420HD : 2ms, HDMI, DVI, 24"
BENQ E2420HD - G2420HD + 1 extra HDMI + Speakers
Samsung P2370MS - 5ms, HDMI/DVI/Components/LineIn/Out, Speakers
Dell u2311 - 8ms, 22", no HDMI, IPS panel
Dell S2309W - 5ms, 23", HDMI

All above monitors are LCD. I m not sure of LED ones. please let me know if there is any LED

Guys having any of above monitor pleeeeease give their opinions (pros/cons).. Help me out! I am going nuts and probably will start if confusion is not cleared soon

Any other model welcome!

More about : totally confused monitor

a b C Monitor
November 19, 2010 12:34:12 AM

I vote for the Dell U2311H. The e-IPS screen already puts it miles ahead of any of the Samsung and BenQ models in terms of color and viewing angle.

A second choice would be the BenQ G2420HD. Pretty good for a TN panel.
m
l
a c 196 C Monitor
November 19, 2010 3:44:37 AM

LED basically refers to the backlight. Traditional LCDs are backlit by florescent lights. Monitors with LED backlight are general edge lit. LEDs shoots light from the edges of the monitor into an amorphous material which should reflect the light to the viewer(s).

LED backlight is slightly bluish sometimes which can throw off all other colors. But edge backlighting uses a little less electricity (about 10w less for average 24" LCD monitor) and allows for a thin design compared to florescent.

I generally prefer somewhat high end H-IPS panel monitors. I would choose the Dell U2311h from the list above since it uses a relatively inexpensive e-IPS panel.

The pros of IPS panels in general is better viewing angles and better color accuracy (not very important to the average consumer) once calibrated. The con is the higher response times of 8ms; higher end H-IPS can have as low as 5ms of response times. But the price difference between e-IPS and H-IPS can be a few to several hundred dollars.

TN panels are good because the have traditionally been inexpensive to manufacture, thus they are relatively inexpensive to buy. They also have the fastest response times 2ms or 5ms. A handful even advertise 1ms; the operative word is "advertise". This translates to "better for games". But viewing angles can range from pretty good (for a TN panel) to pretty bad.

m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2010 9:51:55 AM

Wow! U2311 is that popular for its IPS.

Just if I exclude U2311 for a sec, which other monitor can give smooth text and eye strain free good picture.. I saw many monitors with very good display of pictures but text display distort pixels on text curves.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2010 2:56:26 AM

TN panels are cheap, not just price, but cheaply made. I don't like them.

A single pixel is made of 3 sub pixels of red, blue, and green. Those primary colors mix to produce a single colored pixel. TN panels are limited to 64 orientations per sub pixel (aka can produce 64 different shades) for a combined total of 256K colors. While VA or IPS has 256 orientations for each LED sub pixel for a true 16.7 million color combinations.

TN panels are listed as 16.7 million color because they use mix the color of whole pixels. This is done by either displaying a checkerboard of various colors (dithering) or flashing different colors constantly (FRC). The end result is pretty awful if you compare it to a VA or IPS panel.

How about a AM-VA panel instead. Sports a whopping 3000:1 contrast ratio
The BenQ EW2420

Eyestrain has a lot to do with your eyes and the condition you are using the monitor under. Generally sitting further back, reducing brightness of the screen, increasing text size, and make sure your room is well lit can reduce eye strain.
m
l
!