system restore cannot be started

The System Restore service does not work correctly in Windows XP

SYMPTOMS

• In Services, the System Restore service is listed as stopped.
• If you try to manually start the System Restore service, you receive
the following error message:

could not start system restore service service on local computer
error 193: 0xc1
it advises to reboot and try again, but the same thing keeps happening each
time

has anyone got any advice on this?
7 answers Last reply
More about system restore started

    Regarding the Error 193: 0xc1 check out

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q325680
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q812486

    "iain" <iain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The System Restore service does not work correctly in Windows XP
    >
    > SYMPTOMS
    >
    > . In Services, the System Restore service is listed as stopped.
    > . If you try to manually start the System Restore service, you receive
    > the following error message:
    >
    > could not start system restore service service on local computer
    > error 193: 0xc1
    > it advises to reboot and try again, but the same thing keeps happening
    > each
    > time
    >
    > has anyone got any advice on this?

    i am running windows xp.
    i read and tried these articles before posting
    thank you

    "Jone Doe" wrote:

    > Regarding the Error 193: 0xc1 check out
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q325680
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q812486
    >
    > "iain" <iain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The System Restore service does not work correctly in Windows XP
    > >
    > > SYMPTOMS
    > >
    > > . In Services, the System Restore service is listed as stopped.
    > > . If you try to manually start the System Restore service, you receive
    > > the following error message:
    > >
    > > could not start system restore service service on local computer
    > > error 193: 0xc1
    > > it advises to reboot and try again, but the same thing keeps happening
    > > each
    > > time
    > >
    > > has anyone got any advice on this?

    Hi,

    Are you logged on with Administrative privileges?

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    iain wrote:
    > The System Restore service does not work correctly in
    > Windows XP
    >
    > SYMPTOMS
    >
    > . In Services, the System Restore service is listed as
    > stopped.
    > . If you try to manually start the System Restore
    > service, you receive
    > the following error message:
    >
    > could not start system restore service service on local
    > computer
    > error 193: 0xc1
    > it advises to reboot and try again, but the same thing
    > keeps happening each time
    >
    > has anyone got any advice on this?

    Hi,

    Also check Event Viewer for any errors.

    Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
    sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
    upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
    information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.

    System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

    System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

    --

    iain wrote:
    > The System Restore service does not work correctly in
    > Windows XP
    >
    > SYMPTOMS
    >
    > . In Services, the System Restore service is listed as
    > stopped.
    > . If you try to manually start the System Restore
    > service, you receive
    > the following error message:
    >
    > could not start system restore service service on local
    > computer
    > error 193: 0xc1
    > it advises to reboot and try again, but the same thing
    > keeps happening each time
    >
    > has anyone got any advice on this?

    hi, thanks for your help. i am logged on as administrator.
    having checked event viewer i have no sr or srservice errors
    i do have service control manager errors typically
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7023
    Date: 25/07/2005
    Time: 16:06:23
    User: N/A
    Computer: HOME
    The Security Center service terminated with the following error:
    The specified module could not be found.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7001
    Date: 25/07/2005
    Time: 16:06:23
    User: N/A
    Computer: HOME
    The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service depends on
    the Network Connections service which failed to start because of the

    Date: 25/07/2005
    Time: 16:06:23
    User: N/A
    Computer: HOME
    The Network Connections service terminated with the following error:
    The specified module could not be found.

    are these of any help. ps i didnt know there was a problem as in system
    properties,the system restore function shows it is monitoring my drives,
    however, when i try to go into system restore for any reason, this is when i
    get the error message.

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Also check Event Viewer for any errors.
    >
    > Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    > Click on System in the left pane.
    > Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
    > sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    > Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
    > upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
    > information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    >
    > System Restore Failures to restore:
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    >
    > System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >

    > iain wrote:
    > > The System Restore service does not work correctly in
    > > Windows XP
    > >
    > > SYMPTOMS
    > >
    > > . In Services, the System Restore service is listed as
    > > stopped.
    > > . If you try to manually start the System Restore
    > > service, you receive
    > > the following error message:
    > >
    > > could not start system restore service service on local
    > > computer
    > > error 193: 0xc1
    > > it advises to reboot and try again, but the same thing
    > > keeps happening each time
    > >
    > > has anyone got any advice on this?

    Were there any logs with an Event Source of "sr" and "srservice" rather than "Service
    Control Manager"?

    --

    iain wrote:
> [...]
    >> This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    >>
    >> System Restore Failures to restore:
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    >>
    >> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore
    >> point: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>

    >> iain wrote:
    >>> The System Restore service does not work correctly in
    >>> Windows XP
    >>>
    >>> SYMPTOMS
    >>>
    >>> . In Services, the System Restore service is listed as stopped.
    >>> . If you try to manually start the System Restore service, you receive
    >>> the following error message:
    >>>
    >>> could not start system restore service service on local computer
    >>> error 193: 0xc1
    >>> it advises to reboot and try again, but the same thing

    there were no logs with sr or srservice.

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

> [...]
    > > i try to go into system restore for any reason, this is
    > > when i get the error message.
    > >

    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Also check Event Viewer for any errors.
    > >>
    > >> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    > >> Click on System in the left pane.
    > >> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
    > >> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
    > >> look for "sr" and "srservice".
    > >> Double click on each of these events, then click on the
    > >> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
    > >> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
    > >> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
    > >> This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    > >>
    > >> System Restore Failures to restore:
    > >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    > >>
    > >> System Restore fails to create an automatic restore

Microsoft Error Message System Restore Windows XP