Sign in with
Your question

Help making choice plzz!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2003 1:24:39 PM

Hi,

got a simple question to ask you xperts

Im getting a new pc this week but i dont know which platform to go for.One system is AMD based and the other is Intel. These are my choices:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2C (800FSB)
1024MB DDR
160GB HDD

or

AMD Athlon64 3200+
512MB DDR
320GB HDD

Which of these will perform best for gaming. I've read plenty of reviews so please dont post links plz.

Cheers

Its not about using ur cpu's speed! its knowing its there! ! ! ! !

Sorry ppl i should have stated that im buying a ready made pc system not buying componets soz once again!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sunil on 12/01/03 12:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : making choice plzz

December 1, 2003 2:32:59 PM

What will you be using it for? Will you be OCing your cpu?
December 1, 2003 2:35:57 PM

I will mainly be using it for Gaming such as Unreal 2003 and Adobe Photoshop work. As for oc/ing i kno that pentium 4's o/c better than amd's.

Its not about using ur cpu's speed! its knowing its there! ! ! ! !
Related resources
December 1, 2003 2:44:02 PM

You OC buy the P4 2.6C. That will save you some money. Plus buy Abit IS7 Mobo. That why you will have plenty of $ for 9800Pro.
December 1, 2003 2:55:32 PM

for gaming, [if they both have the same vid card] You'll probably not notice the difference. I think the A64 will just about pip the P4. [in gaming]

Personally, I agree with the others, a P4 2.6C overclocked to ~3.2Ghz will almost certainly outperform both the systems listed.

I find it hard to recommend either of those, as you're paying such a price premium for the high-end stuff, and you probably wouldn't notice any real difference between the [for example]2.6 and 3.2. the Graphics card is so much more important for gaming.

but if I had to pick one of those two, I'd go for the P4 as it's got 1Gb of RAM - which will probably be the biggest advantage for the next generation of games.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
December 1, 2003 3:00:21 PM

You're listing nonrelated components here.

Chipwise there is similar performance but the A64 performs a bit better, although if you are OCing you probally want to go with the above poster and get a 2.6C and OC it. Memory wise most modern games run somewhat better on 1g of ram over 512mb ram and of course you want to go dual ddr (2 of the same, good quality chips, half total ammount each.) Last ammount of hd space in qualitites over 5g free have absolutely nothing to do with gaming performance. The important thing in hard disks is the disk RPM (you want 7200 or +) and cache (you want 8mb).

Shadus<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shadus on 12/01/03 12:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!