Shadow insert lights

Hey guys, I have been lurking here for several months and love all the
info you provide to help guys like me. I purchased a Shadow in May of
this year and LOVE it. (Second pinball machine, the other is a Bally
Deluxe Fun Cruise). When I got the Shadow the backglass GI's didn't
work (I assume because J120 and J121 are obviously burnt up). I read
all about it on the marvin3m site and here and decided it was over my
head to try that repair. I have emailed Clive at coin-op cauldron
about sending the board to him, and I will do that as soon I can quit
playing the darn thing. Well now I have a new problem that may be
related? I fell asleep last night and left the machine on. This
morning I played a game and noticed that NONE of the insert lights in
the playfield work. (By the way, I played that one game without the
insert lights and got Grand Champion! First time I had even got my
initials ON THE BOARD!)

I immediately went to the marvin3m site and read about insert lights
and again got lost. I did remove every fuse and check for continuity
and they were all fine. Can this be related to the burnt connectors?
Should i try to find a local repairman (I'm in Lawrence, KS) or send
the board to Clive? Is this even a problem with the board that Clive
fixes?

On a side note, on average how long does it take for the average
connector repair with Clive, and how difficult is my end going to be
installing new connectors on the ends of the wires?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

None of this is over your head.

You are probably hooked and might as well start learning how to fix this
stuff.

You can do it.

The money you save you can use to feed your addiction.

You might consider the Top dvds for the wpc era. They show you in real time
how to fix these problems you have.

You may have things as simple as fuses out or bulbs out.

Otto

CARGPB11

<patmcgroinagain@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys, I have been lurking here for several months and love all the
> info you provide to help guys like me. I purchased a Shadow in May of
> this year and LOVE it. (Second pinball machine, the other is a Bally
> Deluxe Fun Cruise). When I got the Shadow the backglass GI's didn't
> work (I assume because J120 and J121 are obviously burnt up). I read
> all about it on the marvin3m site and here and decided it was over my
> head to try that repair. I have emailed Clive at coin-op cauldron
> about sending the board to him, and I will do that as soon I can quit
> playing the darn thing. Well now I have a new problem that may be
> related? I fell asleep last night and left the machine on. This
> morning I played a game and noticed that NONE of the insert lights in
> the playfield work. (By the way, I played that one game without the
> insert lights and got Grand Champion! First time I had even got my
> initials ON THE BOARD!)
>
> I immediately went to the marvin3m site and read about insert lights
> and again got lost. I did remove every fuse and check for continuity
> and they were all fine. Can this be related to the burnt connectors?
> Should i try to find a local repairman (I'm in Lawrence, KS) or send
> the board to Clive? Is this even a problem with the board that Clive
> fixes?
>
> On a side note, on average how long does it take for the average
> connector repair with Clive, and how difficult is my end going to be
> installing new connectors on the ends of the wires?

I pulled fuse 114 one more time, and it tested fine. But it says MDL 8
on one end and 250V on the other end. Is this the wrong fuse size? If
so, what else did it fry instead of popping this fuse? thanks for the
continued help.
Rick Swanson wrote:
> patmcgroinagain@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > .... This
> > morning I played a game and noticed that NONE of the insert lights in
> > the playfield work.
>
> Check Fuse 114 one more time. It's an
> 8A, 32V, N.B. located on the Power Drver
> Board. It is the +18V Lamp Matrix fuse.
>

> Rick Swanson

patmcgroinagain@gmail.com wrote:

> .... This
> morning I played a game and noticed that NONE of the insert lights in
> the playfield work.

Check Fuse 114 one more time. It's an
8A, 32V, N.B. located on the Power Drver
Board. It is the +18V Lamp Matrix fuse.

Rick Swanson

patmcgroinagain@gmail.com wrote:

> I pulled fuse 114 one more time, and it tested fine. But it says MDL 8
> on one end and 250V on the other end. Is this the wrong fuse size? If
> so, what else did it fry instead of popping this fuse? thanks for the
> continued help.

I'm no fuse expert (far from it) but I
think an "NB" fuse is a fast acting type
fuse and an "MDL" fuse is a slow acting
fuse. I haven't a clue what the effect
of using a slow-blow fuse in F114 would
have on your Shadow.

Do you have 18V on either side of the
F114 fuse block?

Rick Swanson

The led6 on the power driver board is on showing +18v, and I tested on
both sides of the F114 fuse block with the meter and both sides show
+18v.

I noticed a couple of other lights are out as well, and hope maybe
someone can give some guidance as to why: none of the 4 ring lights
work anymore; the lights on the mini playfield are out; the green start
button on the cabinet, and the orange extra ball button on the cabinet
also quit working.

All these lights quit at the same time, so I am thinking they must be
related?

Rick Swanson wrote:
> patmcgroinagain@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I pulled fuse 114 one more time, and it tested fine. But it says MDL 8
> > on one end and 250V on the other end. Is this the wrong fuse size? If
> > so, what else did it fry instead of popping this fuse? thanks for the
> > continued help.
>

> I'm no fuse expert (far from it) but I
> think an "NB" fuse is a fast acting type
> fuse and an "MDL" fuse is a slow acting
> fuse. I haven't a clue what the effect
> of using a slow-blow fuse in F114 would
> have on your Shadow.
>
> Do you have 18V on either side of the
> F114 fuse block?
>
> Rick Swanson

patmcgroinagain@gmail.com wrote:

> All these lights quit at the same time, so I am thinking they must be
> related?

Yes, it is a problem with the entire
lamp matrix.

When you first power up the game, do any
of the playfield insert lamps come on
momentarily? If so, I suspect a problem
with the ULN2803 driver chip (U19).

Rick Swanson

Rick Swanson <rns510@charter.net> wrote in news:Gz6He.6815$c63.4455
@fe05.lga:

> patmcgroinagain@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> All these lights quit at the same time, so I am thinking they must be
>> related?
>
> Yes, it is a problem with the entire
> lamp matrix.
>
> When you first power up the game, do any
> of the playfield insert lamps come on
> momentarily? If so, I suspect a problem
> with the ULN2803 driver chip (U19).

MMMmmm, it _could_ be, but I'd start easier than that. With the game on
and in "all lamps" test mode, wiggle the lamp matrix connectors back and
forth (column AND row). If the lights come on at all (even dim), then
you have a header pin issue.

Then, check each one of the wires; make sure they're snug in the IDC
connectors.

THEN I'd start thinking about the 2803. ;) (Actually, that's a lie...
I'd cut out that IDC *cancer* and replace them first, _then_ I'd go for
the 2803.)

(Says the guy who just rebuilt half a frikkin' sys 11 interconnect board
due to IDC's frying where they shouldn't. Grrrr!)

I wiggled all of the connectors, but no luck. Nothing even came on
dim. I then turned off power and removed and re-seated EVERY connector
on ALL the boards in the backbox, but still no luck. I think the
replacement of the 2803 at U19 is beyond me (no soldering skills). I
guess I am going to have to break down and send the board in for
repair.

Another quick question, are J137 and J138 interchangable? The manual
says J137 is not used and J138 is, but on mine it is the other way
around.

It also has the rows in the lamp matrix as J133, but mine is in J135.
In the description on page 3-29 it says that J133 is not used.

patmcgroinagain@gmail.com wrote:

> Another quick question, are J137 and J138 interchangable? The manual
> says J137 is not used and J138 is, but on mine it is the other way
> around.

My Shadow has the Lamp Matrix connector
plugged into J137 too.

Curious, I notice that the Lamp Matrix
chart in the Manual uses J137-1 thru
J137-6 for the first 6 columns and then
switches to J138-7 and J138-9 for the
last two. Hard to do that when they are
all in the same connector housing. ;-)

Rick Swanson

"patmcgroinagain@gmail.com" <patmcgroinagain@gmail.com> wrote in

> It also has the rows in the lamp matrix as J133, but mine is in J135.
> In the description on page 3-29 it says that J133 is not used.

Don't worry about it. WPC games have several redundant connectors for lamp
rows & cols. Sometimes more than one is used, sometimes not.