small desktop

hello everyone.

I went to the msn website and chose custom and installed recommended drivers.
when I resarted everything was large, and the resolution was poor. I tried
letting xp fix it, and tried changing it myself to no avail. ( the changes
would not happen)

I reverted to the previous video driver.
now the colors are ok, but the desktop and everything in it is really small!

I can make it fit, but it really doesn't change the size of anything else!

I tried changing the font, it made it bigger, but still didn't look like
before. The fonts "looked bigger, but still small" if that makes any sence.

also the taskbar did not change!

I don't know what to do!

any change would be appreciated.
thank you,
luis
8 answers Last reply
More about small desktop

    Hi Luis,

    Right-click at the blank space of the desktop and go to 'Advanced' tab. In
    'font size' select 'Normal'(if that is already selected use different setting
    and click 'Apply' then again select 'Normal' then 'Apply').
    If that does not set the adjustment you need go to accessibility
    wizard(Start>All programs>Accessories>Accessibility>Accessibility Wizard). At
    the text size item select 'Usual text size of Windows' and go on clicking
    'next'.

    If you are not satisfied repeat the first process again. Though all these
    are working around but does the thing.

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "luis" wrote:

    > hello everyone.
    >
    > I went to the msn website and chose custom and installed recommended drivers.
    > when I resarted everything was large, and the resolution was poor. I tried
    > letting xp fix it, and tried changing it myself to no avail. ( the changes
    > would not happen)
    >
    > I reverted to the previous video driver.
    > now the colors are ok, but the desktop and everything in it is really small!
    >
    > I can make it fit, but it really doesn't change the size of anything else!
    >
    > I tried changing the font, it made it bigger, but still didn't look like
    > before. The fonts "looked bigger, but still small" if that makes any sence.
    >
    > also the taskbar did not change!
    >
    > I don't know what to do!
    >
    > any change would be appreciated.
    > thank you,
    > luis

    hello Pramit,
    I appreciate the help.

    I tried those a couple of times and it didn't work!

    any other suggestions?

    luis

    luis wrote:

    > hello everyone.
    >
    > I went to the msn website and chose custom and installed recommended drivers.
    > when I resarted everything was large, and the resolution was poor. I tried
    > letting xp fix it, and tried changing it myself to no avail. ( the changes
    > would not happen)
    >
    > I reverted to the previous video driver.
    > now the colors are ok, but the desktop and everything in it is really small!
    >
    > I can make it fit, but it really doesn't change the size of anything else!
    >
    > I tried changing the font, it made it bigger, but still didn't look like
    > before. The fonts "looked bigger, but still small" if that makes any sence.
    >
    > also the taskbar did not change!
    >
    > I don't know what to do!
    >
    > any change would be appreciated.
    > thank you,
    > luis

    Never get driver updates from the windows update site. Only get them
    from the device manufacturer's web site or the computer OEM if it's a
    major one like Dell, Gateway, etc. and then only update if it's needed
    to solve a problem or provide a must have feature.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    thanks,
    but what do I do now!
    luis

    "Rock" wrote:

    > luis wrote:
    >
    > > hello everyone.
    > >
    > > I went to the msn website and chose custom and installed recommended drivers.
    > > when I resarted everything was large, and the resolution was poor. I tried
    > > letting xp fix it, and tried changing it myself to no avail. ( the changes
    > > would not happen)
    > >
    > > I reverted to the previous video driver.
    > > now the colors are ok, but the desktop and everything in it is really small!
    > >
    > > I can make it fit, but it really doesn't change the size of anything else!
    > >
    > > I tried changing the font, it made it bigger, but still didn't look like
    > > before. The fonts "looked bigger, but still small" if that makes any sence.
    > >
    > > also the taskbar did not change!
    > >
    > > I don't know what to do!
    > >
    > > any change would be appreciated.
    > > thank you,
    > > luis
    >
    > Never get driver updates from the windows update site. Only get them
    > from the device manufacturer's web site or the computer OEM if it's a
    > major one like Dell, Gateway, etc. and then only update if it's needed
    > to solve a problem or provide a must have feature.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Have you tried increasing your screen resolution?
    Right-click on desktop>Graphics Options>Graphics Properties>Decrease the
    size under "screen area".

    BTW, what is your present screen area?

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "luis" wrote:

    > thanks,
    > but what do I do now!
    > luis
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >
    > > luis wrote:
    > >
    > > > hello everyone.
    > > >
    > > > I went to the msn website and chose custom and installed recommended drivers.
    > > > when I resarted everything was large, and the resolution was poor. I tried
    > > > letting xp fix it, and tried changing it myself to no avail. ( the changes
    > > > would not happen)
    > > >
    > > > I reverted to the previous video driver.
    > > > now the colors are ok, but the desktop and everything in it is really small!
    > > >
    > > > I can make it fit, but it really doesn't change the size of anything else!
    > > >
    > > > I tried changing the font, it made it bigger, but still didn't look like
    > > > before. The fonts "looked bigger, but still small" if that makes any sence.
    > > >
    > > > also the taskbar did not change!
    > > >
    > > > I don't know what to do!
    > > >
    > > > any change would be appreciated.
    > > > thank you,
    > > > luis
    > >
    > > Never get driver updates from the windows update site. Only get them
    > > from the device manufacturer's web site or the computer OEM if it's a
    > > major one like Dell, Gateway, etc. and then only update if it's needed
    > > to solve a problem or provide a must have feature.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rock
    > > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    all set guys,

    thanks for the help!

    luis

    "Rock" wrote:

    > luis wrote:
    >
    > > hello everyone.
    > >
    > > I went to the msn website and chose custom and installed recommended drivers.
    > > when I resarted everything was large, and the resolution was poor. I tried
    > > letting xp fix it, and tried changing it myself to no avail. ( the changes
    > > would not happen)
    > >
    > > I reverted to the previous video driver.
    > > now the colors are ok, but the desktop and everything in it is really small!
    > >
    > > I can make it fit, but it really doesn't change the size of anything else!
    > >
    > > I tried changing the font, it made it bigger, but still didn't look like
    > > before. The fonts "looked bigger, but still small" if that makes any sence.
    > >
    > > also the taskbar did not change!
    > >
    > > I don't know what to do!
    > >
    > > any change would be appreciated.
    > > thank you,
    > > luis
    >
    > Never get driver updates from the windows update site. Only get them
    > from the device manufacturer's web site or the computer OEM if it's a
    > major one like Dell, Gateway, etc. and then only update if it's needed
    > to solve a problem or provide a must have feature.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    May I guess: your computer is notebook?

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    wrote:

    >thanks,
    >but what do I do now!
    >luis
    >
    >"Rock" wrote:
    >
    >> luis wrote:
    >>
    >> > hello everyone.
    >> >
    >> > I went to the msn website and chose custom and installed recommended drivers.
    >> > when I resarted everything was large, and the resolution was poor. I tried
    >> > letting xp fix it, and tried changing it myself to no avail. ( the changes
    >> > would not happen)
    >> >
    >> > I reverted to the previous video driver.
    >> > now the colors are ok, but the desktop and everything in it is really small!
    >> >
    >> > I can make it fit, but it really doesn't change the size of anything else!
    >> >
    >> > I tried changing the font, it made it bigger, but still didn't look like
    >> > before. The fonts "looked bigger, but still small" if that makes any sence.
    >> >
    >> > also the taskbar did not change!
    >> >
    >> > I don't know what to do!
    >> >
    >> > any change would be appreciated.
    >> > thank you,
    >> > luis
    >>
    >> Never get driver updates from the windows update site. Only get them
    >> from the device manufacturer's web site or the computer OEM if it's a
    >> major one like Dell, Gateway, etc. and then only update if it's needed
    >> to solve a problem or provide a must have feature.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rock
    >> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I'm actually using a desktop pc.
    Pramit,

    I right clic on the desktop, but I do not get a choise of graphics, my
    choises are: arrange icons, regresh, new and properties.

    thanks
    luis

    "Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:

    > May I guess: your computer is notebook?
    >
    > --
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > ======
    > On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 07:42:04 -0700, "luis" <luis@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >thanks,
    > >but what do I do now!
    > >luis

    > >> Never get driver updates from the windows update site. Only get them
    > >> from the device manufacturer's web site or the computer OEM if it's a
    > >> major one like Dell, Gateway, etc. and then only update if it's needed
    > >> to solve a problem or provide a must have feature.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Rock
    > >> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Desktops Windows XP