Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I wait for Windows 8 release?

Last response: in Windows 8
June 9, 2012 3:33:00 PM

Guys, just need your help.

I want to build my first game PC in the summer. I can buy a Windows 7 OEM for $100 now. But the rumor says Windows 8 will be released in October. Is it worth waiting for Windows 8? Can the Windows 7 OEM version be upgraded to Windows 8 for $14.99? Thanks a lot.

More about : wait windows release

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
June 9, 2012 3:47:35 PM

i am not sure on the upgrade option. its for PC's preinstalled for windows OEM so I would think so. I personally hate windows 8 and expect it to flop. BUT the windows 8 release preview is available to install for FREE so if you are interested in windows 8 I'd try that out. it IS a beta though. But worth trying on a new machine if you are considering windows 8.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-8.as...
m
l
June 9, 2012 3:55:30 PM

should I download the preview and burn it on a disk and then install for the new machine?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
June 9, 2012 4:30:57 PM

foreinter said:
should I download the preview and burn it on a disk and then install for the new machine?

That's what I would do(and did with the previous version, just didn't like it). there will be newer more complete versions as they get closer to release. So if you like it and it causes you no problems you're good to go and can buy it at release. if you hate it you can get 7. either way saves you at least a few bucks/worrying about the upgrade.

If its just to buggy with your hardware you can double check on the upgrade and buy 7
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
June 9, 2012 4:58:15 PM

foreinter said:
Guys, just need your help.

I want to build my first game PC in the summer. I can buy a Windows 7 OEM for $100 now. But the rumor says Windows 8 will be released in October. Is it worth waiting for Windows 8? Can the Windows 7 OEM version be upgraded to Windows 8 for $14.99? Thanks a lot.

I have seen nothing in windows 8 that will incent me to change from windows 7.
Even if it is no charge, and bug free.

Newegg has windows 7 64 bit oem on sale for $79.99 with promo code EMCYTZT1730 today, Saturday.
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:01:18 PM

geofelt said:
I have seen nothing in windows 8 that will incent me to change from windows 7.
Even if it is no charge, and bug free.

Newegg has windows 7 64 bit oem on sale for $79.99 with promo code EMCYTZT1730 today, Saturday.

This is why I want to decide if I should pull the trigger. Thank you.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2012 6:30:38 PM

unless you have a touchscreen, or a tablet windows 8 will not be right for you.
aka Windows ME v2
m
l
June 14, 2012 7:49:01 AM

Microsoft has no clear words on if Windows 7 oems are eligible for the $15 upgrade. Personally, I don't think so.
m
l

Best solution

June 14, 2012 8:51:51 AM

With the current looks and status of Windows 8, I don't think it is worth the wait (and IMO the cash). Unless you got a touchscreen display or you just want to make your desktop look and feel like a tablet.
June 14, 2012 9:24:58 AM

I agree with the answers. Tried every version of windows 8 released so far, and it just doesnt seem to belong to a Pc. Using it feels akward and uncomfortable, and certainly hammers productivity if youre used to making your way fast through menus and interfaces. Windows 7 is to be supported until 2020, i think its the best option.
m
l
June 14, 2012 1:17:30 PM

Best answer selected by foreinter.
m
l
!