Dell Express Service--is it real?

When purchasing my 8300 desktop (I like the computer!), I shelled out a few
extra bucks for Express Service. This was supposed to give me sort of
priority (shorter waits) when requesting telephone support. To obtain this
service, I dial a special extension and input a code number. However, I
have yet to distinguish a "difference" between Express Service and standard
service. In the last 2 weeks, my waiting times have been just short of an
hour. It's hard to believe that others are waiting even longer.

My question: Have I given Dell a gift or am I getting something for having
purchased Express Service?
6 answers Last reply
More about dell express service real

    I don't think there's any objective way of proving that Express Service is
    consistently faster than regular service, if it's faster at all.

    I hope Dell sent you a thank you card for that gift (;->

    Rocky

    "Arthur Berger" <aberger22@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > When purchasing my 8300 desktop (I like the computer!), I shelled out a
    few
    > extra bucks for Express Service. This was supposed to give me sort of
    > priority (shorter waits) when requesting telephone support. To obtain
    this
    > service, I dial a special extension and input a code number. However, I
    > have yet to distinguish a "difference" between Express Service and
    standard
    > service. In the last 2 weeks, my waiting times have been just short of an
    > hour. It's hard to believe that others are waiting even longer.
    >
    > My question: Have I given Dell a gift or am I getting something for
    having
    > purchased Express Service?

    The only two times I've had to call Dell my wait was under 10 minutes each
    time, and I had them on the phone for over 40 minutes both times so I did
    good, but then again I'm using just my regular number and never paid for any
    Express Service.

    "Arthur Berger" <aberger22@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > When purchasing my 8300 desktop (I like the computer!), I shelled out a
    few
    > extra bucks for Express Service. This was supposed to give me sort of
    > priority (shorter waits) when requesting telephone support. To obtain
    this
    > service, I dial a special extension and input a code number. However, I
    > have yet to distinguish a "difference" between Express Service and
    standard
    > service. In the last 2 weeks, my waiting times have been just short of an
    > hour. It's hard to believe that others are waiting even longer.
    >
    > My question: Have I given Dell a gift or am I getting something for
    having
    > purchased Express Service?

    Chopperdad: I've called Dell three or four times (over a period of 2 weeks)
    and my minimum wait time was 30 minutes. Hey, maybe my Express Service
    means I have to wait longer! (just kidding)

    "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > The only two times I've had to call Dell my wait was under 10 minutes each
    > time, and I had them on the phone for over 40 minutes both times so I did
    > good, but then again I'm using just my regular number and never paid for
    any
    > Express Service.

    Arthur;
    When were your calls made in relation to the time frame Sasser was a
    major issue?
    A major event such as Sasser ties up most tech support.
    It sounds like Sasser may have aggravated your wait times.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.

    "Arthur Berger" <aberger22@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > When purchasing my 8300 desktop (I like the computer!), I shelled
    out a few
    > extra bucks for Express Service. This was supposed to give me sort
    of
    > priority (shorter waits) when requesting telephone support. To
    obtain this
    > service, I dial a special extension and input a code number.
    However, I
    > have yet to distinguish a "difference" between Express Service and
    standard
    > service. In the last 2 weeks, my waiting times have been just short
    of an
    > hour. It's hard to believe that others are waiting even longer.
    >
    > My question: Have I given Dell a gift or am I getting something for
    having
    > purchased Express Service?

    To be fair: I really don't call Dell for technical support, but not because
    I don't have confidence in them. Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I like to try
    to do my own research. I also find the Dell Community Forums to be a great
    source of information, as is this group. I've called Dell once over the last
    3 or 4 years, when my hard drive died and Dell replaced it under warranty.
    That was on a Sunday and I was on hold for just a few minutes.

    Rocky

    "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > Arthur;
    > When were your calls made in relation to the time frame Sasser was a
    > major issue?
    > A major event such as Sasser ties up most tech support.
    > It sounds like Sasser may have aggravated your wait times.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones
    > Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Arthur Berger" <aberger22@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > When purchasing my 8300 desktop (I like the computer!), I shelled
    > out a few
    > > extra bucks for Express Service. This was supposed to give me sort
    > of
    > > priority (shorter waits) when requesting telephone support. To
    > obtain this
    > > service, I dial a special extension and input a code number.
    > However, I
    > > have yet to distinguish a "difference" between Express Service and
    > standard
    > > service. In the last 2 weeks, my waiting times have been just short
    > of an
    > > hour. It's hard to believe that others are waiting even longer.
    > >
    > > My question: Have I given Dell a gift or am I getting something for
    > having
    > > purchased Express Service?

    "Arthur Berger" <aberger22@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > When purchasing my 8300 desktop (I like the computer!), I shelled out a
    few
    > extra bucks for Express Service. This was supposed to give me sort of
    > priority (shorter waits) when requesting telephone support. To obtain
    this
    > service, I dial a special extension and input a code number. However, I
    > have yet to distinguish a "difference" between Express Service and
    standard
    > service. In the last 2 weeks, my waiting times have been just short of an
    > hour. It's hard to believe that others are waiting even longer.
    >
    > My question: Have I given Dell a gift or am I getting something for
    having
    > purchased Express Service?

    I'd vote for gift!

    From their website...

    What is Express Tech Support?

    Express Tech Support is your answer to help reduce
    critical downtime when you need technical support
    assistance from Dell. Express Tech Support offers
    the fastest access to Dell's expert Technical Support
    Staff by placing your telephone call in a priority
    position in Dell's Technical Support queue.(1)

    (1) Express Tech Support hold time will be the effected
    by multiple variables including, but not limited to:
    date, time of day, day of week, product release cycle,
    product recall occurrences and total number of Express
    Tech Support customers. Express Tech Support covers your
    PC only and does not apply to calls to Dell Customer Care
    or transferred calls.

Dell Desktops Computers