Looking for input for a video editing box

mn4az

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
I am building a machine that will primarily be used for video editing (converting AVI's to Windows Media format or splicing many different avi's together. I am on a realtively tight budget ($600) and would like feedback on what I have decided to purchase. I have never overclocked a system before but would consider it it it would give me enough of a boost to warrant attempting it.

As background info I have the following that I will put into and/or attach to the system I am building:

DVD Rom
CDRW
20 inch monitor
MS Windows XP Pro
Adobe Premiere 6.0
Matrox G400 AGP Video Card
Western Digital 20GB HDD (will house apps - drive below will house data)
Sony camcorder with Firewire connection to the mother board.

The machine that I am looking at building is the following:

ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4P800 Deluxe Retail ~ $125

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.6C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail ~ $173

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 512MB(2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) TWINX512-3200C2 With Heat Spreaders.Retail ~ 123

ANTEC LIFE STYLE SERIES SONATA PIANO BLACK Model# Sonata w/ ANTEC TRUE380 380W Power Supply ~ $105

Western Digital Special Edition Internal EIDE 250GB 7200RPM Hard Drive ~ $110 after rebates (I have already purcahsed this and sent the rebates in - Thank God for Black Friday!)

Any and all feedback on how to make the "rig" better, more effecient, etc is appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with the Abit IS7, it's cheaper than the P4P800 and offers more features, including 1394 Firewire wich might come it handy, and Intel's ICH5R SATA Firewire controller, which is better than other options.

Also, I'd go with a different case that supports better ventilation.

You might want to consider RAID.

You might want to consider 1GB of RAM, an important consideration in video editing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lots of guys like the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-123-040&depa=1" target="_new">Chenbro X-Spider</A> Tom's reviewed (other colors available), but I like something a bit less flashy (and also with a CPU duct) <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-108-284&depa=1" target="_new">Seen Here</A>.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>