SP2 and printing

I can't point a definitive finger at SP2, but my printing stopped working
some point between a clean XP install two weeks ago, SP2 install a week
ago, and today.

I use a local TCP/IP port to print to a network HP laserjet.

After searching a bit and making some changes, like deleting inf files,
it seemed serious enough to consider restore points. So I started going
backwards. The third restore point backed out of SP2. The printing
started working properly.

Just a heads up. I haven't researched this properly yet, so I can't
really blame SP2. But on the other hand, I won't be installing it on
any other machines until I figure out what happened.

One person on a computer show I listen to weekly contributed this regarding
her SP2 experience -
So Wednesday morning I installed SP2 on my desktop machine. All seemed to
go well until I tried to browse the files in My Computer with Windows
Explorer. It hung, it crashed, it was generally nasty. So I uninstalled
SP2. I did some troubleshooting, reinstalled and uninstalled SP2 and
quickly discovered that the printer (Canon Multipass F60) was not working
either. I contacted Canon Wednesday afternoon. That began a 24 hour
exchange of information and insight with Canon. By Thursday afternoon Canon
had found the fix and I was back in business. Evidently only the RTM
version of SP2 included a changed that blocked the alternative localhost,
127.0.0.2 that my printer used to communicate. By changing that to
127.0.0.1 in a .ini file the problem was easily fixed. I got one of the
nicest notes I've ever had from support after reporting that the fix worked:

Hope that helps ....

On 20 Sep 2004 22:56:54 GMT, Kevin <KevinL@nospam.edu> wrote:
> I can't point a definitive finger at SP2, but my printing stopped working
> some point between a clean XP install two weeks ago, SP2 install a week
> ago, and today.
>
> I use a local TCP/IP port to print to a network HP laserjet.
>
> After searching a bit and making some changes, like deleting inf files,
> it seemed serious enough to consider restore points. So I started going
> backwards. The third restore point backed out of SP2. The printing
> started working properly.
>
> Just a heads up. I haven't researched this properly yet, so I can't
> really blame SP2. But on the other hand, I won't be installing it on
> any other machines until I figure out what happened.

Before I installed SP2 I had trouble TCP (LPR/LPD) printing to a print
server, or even accessing its web config interface, if I enabled ICF (XP's
firewall) on my home LAN interface (pfirewall.log indicated it dropped
port 515 or 80 reply packets from printserver IP). It worked fine with
ICF disabled. Although, at work I had no trouble TCP printing to
JetDirects with ICF enabled on LAN, or even network scanning (HP Officejet
G85).

When I used the full SP2 update and it enabled its firewall on my home LAN
interface, I had no such trouble. I can also print using IPP
(http://printservername:631/queuename). So for me, the SP2 firewall was
an improvement (but still a mystery about what criteria it uses).

But I am not using print server specific software (except at work for the
network G85 printer/scanner).

BigJim

when I installed sp2 I lost my print spooler
so I did a clean install of xp and sp2 and it is working fine now
I believe that my other xp installation was getting a bit flaky and that may
have been the real cause.