WPC Driver Board Layout Question on Fuse Holders / Clips

We are deep into the layout of a low cost WPC Driver Board and would like to
field questions as to fuse clips / holders for the board. As there are 16
fuses, pricing for the fuse clips can add quite a bit to the overall price
of the board. With this in mind:

The individual stamped clips similar to the ones used by Data East are by
far the least expensive alternative. We use them on our Data East /
Williams Power Supply Boards and have yet to have a problem; However, long
term, they are not the most sturdy (as evidences by current Data East board
sets).

Any one know of a good alternative? Remember with 16 fuses, the difference
of a $1 for each set of fuse clips is a minimum of $19 to the cost of the
board (including material overhead, etc.). I know some people would feel
this is worth it, just trying to see if there is anything out there that has
good reliability with a cost margin that is not too stiff.

Jim Knight
remove NOSPAM from direct e-mail responses
734 330 5543

No.

--
Fred
TX

"Jim Knight" <rottendog@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote

> Any one know of a good alternative? Remember with 16 fuses, the difference
> of a $1 for each set of fuse clips is a minimum of $19 to the cost of the
> board (including material overhead, etc.). I know some people would feel
> this is worth it, just trying to see if there is anything out there that has
> good reliability with a cost margin that is not too stiff.

;-(

Looked high and low (to steal a phrase).

Guess I was hoping.

Jim Knight

"Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote in message
> No.
>
> --
> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8
> ******************
>

> "Jim Knight" <rottendog@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote
>
>> Any one know of a good alternative? Remember with 16 fuses, the
>> difference
>> of a $1 for each set of fuse clips is a minimum of $19 to the cost of the
>> board (including material overhead, etc.). I know some people would feel
>> this is worth it, just trying to see if there is anything out there that
>> has
>> good reliability with a cost margin that is not too stiff.

Just stick with the Berylium Copper ones. Can't beat them for reliability -
especially compared to the tin plated brass ones.

-- Ed

"Jim Knight" <rottendog@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> We are deep into the layout of a low cost WPC Driver Board and would like
> to field questions as to fuse clips / holders for the board. As there are
> 16 fuses, pricing for the fuse clips can add quite a bit to the overall
> price of the board. With this in mind:
>
> The individual stamped clips similar to the ones used by Data East are by
> far the least expensive alternative. We use them on our Data East /
> Williams Power Supply Boards and have yet to have a problem; However,
> long term, they are not the most sturdy (as evidences by current Data East
> board sets).
>
> Any one know of a good alternative? Remember with 16 fuses, the
> difference of a $1 for each set of fuse clips is a minimum of $19 to the
> cost of the board (including material overhead, etc.). I know some people
> would feel this is worth it, just trying to see if there is anything out
> there that has good reliability with a cost margin that is not too stiff.
>
> Jim Knight
> remove NOSPAM from direct e-mail responses
> 734 330 5543

If you really think the more expensive ones will cause people not to buy the
boards then use the data east style one's at least you will get about 10
years out of them before they let go, that's long enough.

Trin
"Jim Knight" <rottendog@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> We are deep into the layout of a low cost WPC Driver Board and would like
> to field questions as to fuse clips / holders for the board. As there are
> 16 fuses, pricing for the fuse clips can add quite a bit to the overall
> price of the board. With this in mind:
>
> The individual stamped clips similar to the ones used by Data East are by
> far the least expensive alternative. We use them on our Data East /
> Williams Power Supply Boards and have yet to have a problem; However,
> long term, they are not the most sturdy (as evidences by current Data East
> board sets).
>
> Any one know of a good alternative? Remember with 16 fuses, the
> difference of a $1 for each set of fuse clips is a minimum of $19 to the
> cost of the board (including material overhead, etc.). I know some people
> would feel this is worth it, just trying to see if there is anything out
> there that has good reliability with a cost margin that is not too stiff.
>
> Jim Knight
> remove NOSPAM from direct e-mail responses
> 734 330 5543

The only way folks got 10 years out of the DE clips was to solder the fuse
directly to them!

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"Trinity" <trinity@nospam.com> wrote in message
> If you really think the more expensive ones will cause people not to buy
> the boards then use the data east style one's at least you will get about
> 10 years out of them before they let go, that's long enough.
>
> Trin
> "Jim Knight" <rottendog@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> We are deep into the layout of a low cost WPC Driver Board and would like
>> to field questions as to fuse clips / holders for the board. As there
>> are 16 fuses, pricing for the fuse clips can add quite a bit to the
>> overall price of the board. With this in mind:
>>
>> The individual stamped clips similar to the ones used by Data East are by
>> far the least expensive alternative. We use them on our Data East /
>> Williams Power Supply Boards and have yet to have a problem; However,
>> long term, they are not the most sturdy (as evidences by current Data
>> East board sets).
>>
>> Any one know of a good alternative? Remember with 16 fuses, the
>> difference of a $1 for each set of fuse clips is a minimum of $19 to the
>> cost of the board (including material overhead, etc.). I know some
>> people would feel this is worth it, just trying to see if there is
>> anything out there that has good reliability with a cost margin that is
>> not too stiff.
>>
>> Jim Knight
>> remove NOSPAM from direct e-mail responses
>> 734 330 5543

Actually I called the Keystone rep on the expected life time for these
clips. Don't know if he was jerking my chain, but he said it had to do with
the total ampere-hours that went through the fuse clips. The way I read it
was that when the machines were on 24X7 it was worse than for home use.

Oh well...

Jim Knight

"John Wart, jr" <johnwartjr@johnwartjr.com> wrote in message
> The only way folks got 10 years out of the DE clips was to solder the fuse
> directly to them!
>

> --
> http://www.myhomegameroom.com
>

> "Trinity" <trinity@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> If you really think the more expensive ones will cause people not to buy
>> the boards then use the data east style one's at least you will get about
>> 10 years out of them before they let go, that's long enough.
>>
>> Trin
>> "Jim Knight" <rottendog@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>>> We are deep into the layout of a low cost WPC Driver Board and would
>>> like to field questions as to fuse clips / holders for the board. As
>>> there are 16 fuses, pricing for the fuse clips can add quite a bit to
>>> the overall price of the board. With this in mind:
>>>
>>> The individual stamped clips similar to the ones used by Data East are
>>> by far the least expensive alternative. We use them on our Data East /
>>> Williams Power Supply Boards and have yet to have a problem; However,
>>> long term, they are not the most sturdy (as evidences by current Data
>>> East board sets).
>>>
>>> Any one know of a good alternative? Remember with 16 fuses, the
>>> difference of a $1 for each set of fuse clips is a minimum of $19 to the
>>> cost of the board (including material overhead, etc.). I know some
>>> people would feel this is worth it, just trying to see if there is
>>> anything out there that has good reliability with a cost margin that is
>>> not too stiff.
>>>
>>> Jim Knight
>>> remove NOSPAM from direct e-mail responses
>>> 734 330 5543

martin

That sounds goofy. No way can you push enough current through those
clips to get them warm enough to matter. Maybe the rep thinks that the
electrons get tired?

Life will be determined by insertion cycles. Brass will deform and let
the fuses go loose. BeCu will last just about forever, as long as the
PCB does not become the weak point - I would put a pad on both sides.

And related, how about a switcher for the 5V supply? I think that Ed
has the design done, and may be willing to share. Gets a LOT of heat
off of that board.