Xeon is much bether then Opteron

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Read this, and say what you think of it, realy curious what Intel based viewers have to say about it :http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12957

taitertot

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
OCD could be your problem you should seek a support group or something.

On a serious note everyone knows the Xeon line isnt fit to compete with the Opteron line. But hey if you want to bring the Itanium into the conversation we have something to talk about.

But that isnt what you want to hear, so ill give it to you. Intelz 0wnz j00z nub Intel be l33t f00.

-taitertot

I carry the legacy of one of your fallen; let us remember him fondly for he is always watching.

sturm

Splendid
Time will tell but I think intel is in trouble. The fact that opteron can do both 64 and 32 bit at full speed will be a big plus for people/companies that have 32 bit now but want to upgrade in the future.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Are you trying to start a flame war?? Anyway, I'm biased for Intel, and I know that the Opteron is the best workstation CPU right now. If I had the money and need to upgrade, It would be my first choice. I use a dualie Opteron quite a bit...it's great, a hell of a lot better than the G5s and G4s that are also available in the yearbook office. It's also been known for quite sometime that the Opteron is great, it's not like this is new news.

However, Opteron is actually 'next-gen' (though it is available [thankfully so] right now), while Intel is behind the mark in getting out a new workstation CPU. But since the P4EE is a modified Xeon, I wouldn't doubt that a Xeon with 800MT FSB would be released to compete with the Opteron (á la FX vs. EE). But if Intel doesn't release a newer workstation CPU, they may be in danger of losing that part of the market because of Opteron's dominance. Don't get me wrong, Xeon is great, but it's no Opteron in most applications (that article was a little skimpy on benchmarks).

Everyone knows the Opteron is great, so trying to provoke people to argue that a Xeon is system is better is pointless. If you want to learn how to provoke and start a flamewar, research Popegoldx's posts, he was pretty good at it.

Damn Rambus.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
If you want to learn how to provoke and start a flamewar, research Popegoldx's posts, he was pretty good at it.
I see your quite new at this here...

I you realy want to see good trolls, search for AMDMeltdown or Fugger in the 2001-2002 archives , you'll see some damn good trolling there!! :smile:

<b><font color=red>Psychiatrist says I'm crazy but the voices in my head say I'm not :cool: </font color=red></b>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yeah, they're a bit before my time. All I've really seen of FUGGER is his recent post about his 4.4GHz P4EE getting 30k on 3Dmrk2001se. I've seen nothing of AMDMeltdown, which is probably good, since AMD trolls piss me off.

Damn Rambus.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
You got to take this on the funny side of things, read their posts as they were jokes, seriously do a research on Melty, you'll get a blast out of them!!!

<b><font color=red>Psychiatrist says I'm crazy but the voices in my head say I'm not :cool: </font color=red></b>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I've seen nothing of AMDMeltdown, which is probably good, since AMD trolls piss me off.
Actually, Melty was an Intel troll who bashed AMD constantly. Hence the name 'AMDMeltdown' which referred to how hot Athlons tend to run.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

Not to worry guys... he didn't say the Xeon is much better than Opteron... he said the Xeon was much BETHER than Opteron. Now, all we have to do is figure out what 'bether' means... although I'm sure it can't possibly mean 'better'.

:smile:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Now, all we have to do is figure out what 'bether' means... although I'm sure it can't possibly mean 'better'.
Hmmm...not sure what it means. Probably something having to do with irradiated lettuce. Yeah, that's it.

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Intel based viewers
Well, I'm using my Intel based machine now, if I posted from my AMD machine would I then be AMD based?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
How about another article? <A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1403009,00.asp" target="_new">http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1403009,00.asp</A>