Computer no longer boots after reverting to last restore p..

I accepted a MS update for one of my PCs recently including an updated driver
for part of the hardware. This didn't work so I selected back to the last
restore point. The PC rebooted as expected, but never completed its boot
sequence, freezing with the XP screen. Tried rebooting from the XP
installation disk - No Joy. Any suggestions?
--
Substitute my surname for nospam

>Tried rebooting from the XP installation disk - No Joy.

What do you get when you try to install from XP installation disk? Unless
the cd is damaged or there is any error in the cd rom, you should always be
able to boot from XP cd.

Do you get any error message?

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

In news:D1C611F6-A873-4B5F-88B9-EEE144D8284A@microsoft.com,
Ian Birchenough <ian@nospam.demon.co.uk> typed:
> I accepted a MS update for one of my PCs recently including an
> updated driver for part of the hardware. This didn't work so I
> selected back to the last restore point. The PC rebooted as expected,
> but never completed its boot sequence, freezing with the XP screen.
> Tried rebooting from the XP installation disk - No Joy. Any
> suggestions?

Did you try booting in safe mode? If you can get in, try removing the device
in Device Manager.

NB: Never ever take driver updates from WU. Always get updated drivers (if
they are truly needed) from the hardware manufacturer's website/ftp site.

I get no error messages and if I boot in safe mode it freezes at
windows\system32\DRIVERS\amdagp.sys. I've just changed the IOS to boot from
CD as I didn't set the priorities righ first time, so I'll let you know how
that goes.
--

=?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEJpcmNoZW5vdWdo?= <ian@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> I get no error messages and if I boot in safe mode it freezes at
> windows\system32\DRIVERS\amdagp.sys. I've just changed the IOS to boot
> from CD as I didn't set the priorities righ first time, so I'll let
> you know how that goes.

Have you tried rebooting to 'Last known good config'? that check point is
taken after a successfull login.

Yes thanks, tried that and it still fails at the same point.
--

"Asher_N" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEJpcmNoZW5vdWdo?= <ian@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > I get no error messages and if I boot in safe mode it freezes at
> > windows\system32\DRIVERS\amdagp.sys. I've just changed the IOS to boot
> > from CD as I didn't set the priorities righ first time, so I'll let
> > you know how that goes.
>
> Have you tried rebooting to 'Last known good config'? that check point is
> taken after a successfull login.

Yes, tried this the process freeses at windows\system32\drivers\amdagp.sys
Thanks for the tip about not taking drivers a from WU. I'll know next time.
--

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:D1C611F6-A873-4B5F-88B9-EEE144D8284A@microsoft.com,
> Ian Birchenough <ian@nospam.demon.co.uk> typed:
> > I accepted a MS update for one of my PCs recently including an
> > updated driver for part of the hardware. This didn't work so I
> > selected back to the last restore point. The PC rebooted as expected,
> > but never completed its boot sequence, freezing with the XP screen.
> > Tried rebooting from the XP installation disk - No Joy. Any
> > suggestions?
>
> Did you try booting in safe mode? If you can get in, try removing the device
> in Device Manager.
>
> NB: Never ever take driver updates from WU. Always get updated drivers (if
> they are truly needed) from the hardware manufacturer's website/ftp site.

I had a big crash a while back and here is what helped me.

FOLLOW THE STEPS AS STATED!!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545&sd=RMVP

"Ian Birchenough" wrote:

> Yes thanks, tried that and it still fails at the same point.
> --
> Substitute my surname for nospam
>

> "Asher_N" wrote:
>
> > =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEJpcmNoZW5vdWdo?= <ian@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in
> >
> > > I get no error messages and if I boot in safe mode it freezes at
> > > windows\system32\DRIVERS\amdagp.sys. I've just changed the IOS to boot
> > > from CD as I didn't set the priorities righ first time, so I'll let
> > > you know how that goes.
> >
> > Have you tried rebooting to 'Last known good config'? that check point is
> > taken after a successfull login.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I did a complete windows re-install
over the weekend and all is now working.