A problem with my PC, heat?

KalletheMan

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Hey.

I have bought an AMD Athlon XP2800+ processor, and a Gladiatech Silent Breeze 2 cooler(because it only make about 19dBA noise). This cooler should support XP3000+.

My problem is that windows keeps shutting down(I am running WinXP Professioanl). When I get the option of running in security mode or whatever it is, the computers keeps shutting itself down, and will only restart. I am getting no further.

One of the things I could see in the BIOS(in "Hardware Monitor", if this is correct) is that the CPU was at about 40 - 45 C(then WinXP is working just fine). But after some minutes the computer is restarting, and then I saw that the temperature was about 75 - 85 C(isn't this so high temperatures that the CPU is almost dead?). The Gladiatech cooler is very hot, and it looks like the "paste" beneath it has melted.

Would someone agree, that there could be something wrong with my cooler? I would be gratefull, for any suggestion.

Thanks!

I currently running on(which is not online):
AMD Athlon XP2800+
ASUS A7N8X/DELUXE/GD
2x TwinMOS TwiSTER PC3200 CL2.0
1x Maxtor S-ATA 120GB 7200RPM 8MB cache

Steve258

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Did you put any heat conduct fluid (or whatever it's called) on the CPU die? It helps to conduct heat to the cooler. If you don't, then even the best cooler is useless.

Is there any "shut down temperature" or other similar options in the "hardware monitor"? What it does is when the CPU reaches the set temperature, it will shut the computer down automatically to protect the CPU from being cooked. You can try to disable this option.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
AS the poster above said, did you use any thermal grease, or a little pad that came with the cooler or anything?
Although temps going that high would indicate an improperly fitted cooler, as even bare metal against the core should do better that that really - thermal grease is designed to fill the minute gaps between the HS and the CPU die, <i>not</i> to form a complete layer in between the 2.

Are you sure that there wasn't a little sticker covering the thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink, that you forgot to remove? that would cause problems (as molten plastic isn't particularly thermally conductive). The other favourite is to install the heatsink backwards - there should be a 'step' on one side of the heatsink which matches with the raised part of the CPU socket. If you've got the HS on the wrong way round it'll only make partial contact with the CPU die and won't cool very well.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
If you bought your CPU retail than it came with a HSF and a pad or something beneath it, try that...
Also, the fan is connected and spinning, right?

----------
I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.

KalletheMan

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Everything of labels and everything has been taken off.

It seems like my CPU cooler is getting to hot. Maybe it sucks. I think I will try to change it, and see if my computer is getting better.

Thanks for your help.

KalletheMan

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Where can I find out what the usually temperature for an AMD Athlon XP2800+ is?

Do someone know? Should it be at 50C? 55C? etc...

Thanks!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
That cpu cooler is either a major POS or it is not making proper contact with the CPU die. Take the CPU cooler and make sure that is no plastic wrapping the the HS contact and please use some artic silver compund on the CPU die to promote contact between the CPU and the HS. If using a shim, make sure that the plastic is removed from it. Other than that, that particular CPU coller is a mojor POS and need to get a thermalright slk800-947u series with a 8--92mm fan to keep that cpu cool.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
a 'normal' temperature for an XP is anywhere between 40C and ~55C, depending on the local climate, the cooler, etc.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: