Inspiron 4100: Trackpoint broke.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

So the little plastic that the rubber nub fits on broke in half. I
ordered so new 'nubs' only to find out that it was just the nub and
not the full assembly.

Anyone know if its possible to get the part that the nub fits on? Or
do I have to make use of my Complete Care warranty.

Thanks.

"jason" <jbi130@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> So the little plastic that the rubber nub fits on broke in half. I
> ordered so new 'nubs' only to find out that it was just the nub and
> not the full assembly.
>
> Anyone know if its possible to get the part that the nub fits on? Or
> do I have to make use of my Complete Care warranty.

The keyboard needs to be replaced. It's a simple operation if you not shy.
Otherwise have someone come out and fix it or send to back to Dell.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

..

agreed. but be advised that dell will not send you the part (a replacement
keyboard) for you to install yourself even if the system is under warranty.
they feel it needs to be installed by a qualified tech. oddly, they will
sell you the part and you can install it yourself. the part costs about
$30. plenty are available on ebay but almost all of the are used
(advertised as 're-newed' or 'like new' but rarely actually new). if you
are still under warranty then call it in and have it replaced... in the
mean time you can use and external mouse (usb, ps/2, or serial)...

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "jason" <jbi130@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > So the little plastic that the rubber nub fits on broke in half. I
> > ordered so new 'nubs' only to find out that it was just the nub and
> > not the full assembly.
> >
> > Anyone know if its possible to get the part that the nub fits on? Or
> > do I have to make use of my Complete Care warranty.
> >

> The keyboard needs to be replaced. It's a simple operation if you not
shy.
> Otherwise have someone come out and fix it or send to back to Dell.
>
> --
>
> Rob
> Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
> A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"
>
> .

I think that's all dependent on how you go about requesting the support. I
only use email support and they just send me the keyboard FOC under
warranty. On occasion they want to setup a Return to Depot, I just request
the part and I haven't been denied yet. As a mater of fact I just went
trough this with an 8200 about 6 weeks ago. Prior to that it was a 5100 and
I've done several 4100 over the past couple of years.

In any event it's not a hard operation and the last one I did even came with
detailed instructions. (the same instructions available on the web)

One thing to remember when working on laptops. Make sure the power,
INCLUDING THE BATTERY, is removed from the laptop.

--

Rob