Windows Update won't run

I have a problem with a few programs, being that they won't run, one of
which is the Windows Update Manager "wupdmgr.exe". When I click it, I
get a flicker of an house-glass as my cursor and then nothing. As I
said, this only seems to affect a few of my programs, everything else
seems fine.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Lua
10 answers Last reply
More about windows update

    Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I click
    on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
    Regards

    Alberto
    Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection

    Alberto wrote:
    > Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I click
    > on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
    > Regards
    >
    > Alberto
    > Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection
    >

    > "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b28f5$1_1@x-privat.org...
    >
    >>I have a problem with a few programs, being that they won't run, one of
    >>which is the Windows Update Manager "wupdmgr.exe". When I click it, I
    >>get a flicker of an house-glass as my cursor and then nothing. As I
    >>said, this only seems to affect a few of my programs, everything else
    >>seems fine.
    >>Can anyone shed any light on this?
    >>Lua

    Your location won't affect the ability of WU to run. Anyhow, when I
    click I don't even get IE to open.
    Lu

    What happens if: You bring up IE browser, and select Tools, then Windows Update?

    Also, bring up IE and type in this URL address
    http://update.microsoft.com

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Lua" wrote

    "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b3a1d_2@x-privat.org...
    > Alberto wrote:
    > > Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I
    click
    > > on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Alberto
    > > Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection
    > >

    > > "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I have a problem with a few programs, being that they won't run, one of
    > >>which is the Windows Update Manager "wupdmgr.exe". When I click it, I
    > >>get a flicker of an house-glass as my cursor and then nothing. As I
    > >>said, this only seems to affect a few of my programs, everything else
    > >>seems fine.
    > >>Can anyone shed any light on this?
    > >>Lua
    >

    > Your location won't affect the ability of WU to run. Anyhow, when I
    > click I don't even get IE to open.
    > Lu

    Yes Sir,I was referring to the time this happened to you,to see if there was
    a coincidence in the timing of this problem,it looks to me that the Windows
    Update site is just refusing to open,at this time anyways.
    If your IE does not open ,I would do a reboot and see.

    Alberto

    I went to W U site just a few minutes ago and everything works & is normal. Maybe you ran into a temporary glitch.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Alberto" wrote

    Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
    > What happens if: You bring up IE browser, and select Tools, then Windows Update?
    >
    > Also, bring up IE and type in this URL address
    > http://update.microsoft.com

    Both work. My problem is not that I can't get updates, but as I said
    earlier, this is affecting a few other programs too.
    Lua

    "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b5cad_1@x-privat.org...
    > Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
    >> What happens if: You bring up IE browser, and select Tools, then Windows Update?
    >>
    >> Also, bring up IE and type in this URL address
    >> http://update.microsoft.com
    >

    > Both work. My problem is not that I can't get updates, but as I said
    > earlier, this is affecting a few other programs too.
    > Lua

    What specific other programs?

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Alberto wrote:
    > "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b3a1d_2@x-privat.org...
    >
    >>Alberto wrote:
    >>
    >>>Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I
    >
    > click
    >
    >>>on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
    >>>Regards
    >>>
    >>>Alberto
    >>>Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection
    >>>

    >>>"Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>Your location won't affect the ability of WU to run. Anyhow, when I
    >>click I don't even get IE to open.
    >>Lu
    >

    > Yes Sir,I was referring to the time this happened to you,to see if there was
    > a coincidence in the timing of this problem,it looks to me that the Windows
    > Update site is just refusing to open,at this time anyways.
    > If your IE does not open ,I would do a reboot and see.
    >
    > Alberto

    Aha, IC. I had this problem for a few days, so that theory is blown out
    of the window.
    Lua

    Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
    > "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b5cad_1@x-privat.org...
    >
    >>Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
    >>
    >>>What happens if: You bring up IE browser, and select Tools, then Windows Update?
    >>>
    >>>Also, bring up IE and type in this URL address
    >>>http://update.microsoft.com
    >>

    >>Both work. My problem is not that I can't get updates, but as I said
    >>earlier, this is affecting a few other programs too.
    >>Lua
    >

    > What specific other programs?

    Something called Winminip.exe and the related plugin -
    http://www.minitelfr.com/Uk/telecharger/index.html

    Lua

    Lua wrote:
    > Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:

    >>> Both work. My problem is not that I can't get updates, but as I said
    >>> earlier, this is affecting a few other programs too.
    >>> Lua
    >>

    >> What specific other programs?
    >

    > Something called Winminip.exe and the related plugin -
    > http://www.minitelfr.com/Uk/telecharger/index.html
    >
    > Lua

    Forgot to mention that with the plugin, it's the installation
    "setup.exe" that won't run.

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP