Windows Update won't run

September 4, 2005 10:11:51 PM

I have a problem with a few programs, being that they won't run, one of
which is the Windows Update Manager "wupdmgr.exe". When I click it, I
get a flicker of an house-glass as my cursor and then nothing. As I
said, this only seems to affect a few of my programs, everything else
seems fine.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Lua

More about : windows update run

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:11:52 PM

Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I click
on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
Regards

Alberto
Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection

"Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b28f5$1_1@x-privat.org...
> I have a problem with a few programs, being that they won't run, one of
> which is the Windows Update Manager "wupdmgr.exe". When I click it, I
> get a flicker of an house-glass as my cursor and then nothing. As I
> said, this only seems to affect a few of my programs, everything else
> seems fine.
> Can anyone shed any light on this?
> Lua
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:25:06 PM

Alberto wrote:
> Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I click
> on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
> Regards
>
> Alberto
> Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection
>

> "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b28f5$1_1@x-privat.org...
>
>>I have a problem with a few programs, being that they won't run, one of
>>which is the Windows Update Manager "wupdmgr.exe". When I click it, I
>>get a flicker of an house-glass as my cursor and then nothing. As I
>>said, this only seems to affect a few of my programs, everything else
>>seems fine.
>>Can anyone shed any light on this?
>>Lua

Your location won't affect the ability of WU to run. Anyhow, when I
click I don't even get IE to open.
Lu
September 4, 2005 11:25:07 PM

What happens if: You bring up IE browser, and select Tools, then Windows Update?

Also, bring up IE and type in this URL address
http://update.microsoft.com

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Lua" wrote
> Alberto wrote:
>> Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I click
>> on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
>> Regards
>>
>> Alberto
>> Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection
>>

>> "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b28f5$1_1@x-privat.org...
>>
>>>I have a problem with a few programs, being that they won't run, one of
>>>which is the Windows Update Manager "wupdmgr.exe". When I click it, I
>>>get a flicker of an house-glass as my cursor and then nothing. As I
>>>said, this only seems to affect a few of my programs, everything else
>>>seems fine.
>>>Can anyone shed any light on this?
>>>Lua
>

> Your location won't affect the ability of WU to run. Anyhow, when I
> click I don't even get IE to open.
> Lu
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:35:34 PM

"Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b3a1d_2@x-privat.org...
> Alberto wrote:
> > Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I
click
> > on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
> > Regards
> >
> > Alberto
> > Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection
> >

> > "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have a problem with a few programs, being that they won't run, one of
> >>which is the Windows Update Manager "wupdmgr.exe". When I click it, I
> >>get a flicker of an house-glass as my cursor and then nothing. As I
> >>said, this only seems to affect a few of my programs, everything else
> >>seems fine.
> >>Can anyone shed any light on this?
> >>Lua
>

> Your location won't affect the ability of WU to run. Anyhow, when I
> click I don't even get IE to open.
> Lu

Yes Sir,I was referring to the time this happened to you,to see if there was
a coincidence in the timing of this problem,it looks to me that the Windows
Update site is just refusing to open,at this time anyways.
If your IE does not open ,I would do a reboot and see.

Alberto
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:35:35 PM

I went to W U site just a few minutes ago and everything works & is normal. Maybe you ran into a temporary glitch.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Alberto" wrote

> Yes Sir,I was referring to the time this happened to you,to see if there was
> a coincidence in the timing of this problem,it looks to me that the Windows
> Update site is just refusing to open,at this time anyways.
> If your IE does not open ,I would do a reboot and see.
>
> Alberto
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:52:32 AM

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> What happens if: You bring up IE browser, and select Tools, then Windows Update?
>
> Also, bring up IE and type in this URL address
> http://update.microsoft.com

Both work. My problem is not that I can't get updates, but as I said
earlier, this is affecting a few other programs too.
Lua
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:52:33 AM

"Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b5cad_1@x-privat.org...
> Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
>> What happens if: You bring up IE browser, and select Tools, then Windows Update?
>>
>> Also, bring up IE and type in this URL address
>> http://update.microsoft.com
>

> Both work. My problem is not that I can't get updates, but as I said
> earlier, this is affecting a few other programs too.
> Lua

What specific other programs?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Alberto wrote:
> "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b3a1d_2@x-privat.org...
>
>>Alberto wrote:
>>
>>>Not sure where you are at Lua,but I am in Canada,West Coast,and when I
>
> click
>
>>>on Windows Update,it opens IE but the page is frozen. (10.27 am here)
>>>Regards
>>>
>>>Alberto
>>>Running WINXP,IE6,high speed connection
>>>

>>>"Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>Your location won't affect the ability of WU to run. Anyhow, when I
>>click I don't even get IE to open.
>>Lu
>

> Yes Sir,I was referring to the time this happened to you,to see if there was
> a coincidence in the timing of this problem,it looks to me that the Windows
> Update site is just refusing to open,at this time anyways.
> If your IE does not open ,I would do a reboot and see.
>
> Alberto

Aha, IC. I had this problem for a few days, so that theory is blown out
of the window.
Lua
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:00:08 PM

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> "Lua" <lua@nospam.com> wrote in message news:431b5cad_1@x-privat.org...
>
>>Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
>>
>>>What happens if: You bring up IE browser, and select Tools, then Windows Update?
>>>
>>>Also, bring up IE and type in this URL address
>>>http://update.microsoft.com
>>

>>Both work. My problem is not that I can't get updates, but as I said
>>earlier, this is affecting a few other programs too.
>>Lua
>

> What specific other programs?

Something called Winminip.exe and the related plugin -
http://www.minitelfr.com/Uk/telecharger/index.html

Lua
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:01:26 PM

Lua wrote:
> Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:

>>> Both work. My problem is not that I can't get updates, but as I said
>>> earlier, this is affecting a few other programs too.
>>> Lua
>>

>> What specific other programs?
>

> Something called Winminip.exe and the related plugin -
> http://www.minitelfr.com/Uk/telecharger/index.html
>
> Lua

Forgot to mention that with the plugin, it's the installation
"setup.exe" that won't run.
!