Could someone tell me if there is a way to check what programs or software is
running on my computer when I start it up? I have had a problem with my
partner putting spying software on MY home computer which had tracked my
every move, litterally with sites, pictures, passwords, etc......now he is
out of town again and I am having difficulty trusting that he doesnt have
another installed that I may not know about. I did limit his user account,
but somehow he managed to bypass that and put himself back on as
administrator (sigh)

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Drexs1 wrote:

> Could someone tell me if there is a way to check what programs or software is
> running on my computer when I start it up? I have had a problem with my
> partner putting spying software on MY home computer which had tracked my
> every move, litterally with sites, pictures, passwords, etc......now he is
> out of town again and I am having difficulty trusting that he doesnt have
> another installed that I may not know about. I did limit his user account,
> but somehow he managed to bypass that and put himself back on as
> administrator (sigh)

Run the startup program tracker at Kelly's site:
Line 261: List of Startup Programs Running at Login

See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

Also scan the system for malware in safe mode using a combination of
programs:

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'msconfig' and click OK. Select the Startup tab and you'll see all programs which are loaded during Windows startup.

Take a look at the Services tab as well. (I recommend that you click on the 'Hide All Microsoft Services' check box in order not to disable an essential MS service.)

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín