2800+ Barton stable BIOS settings.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Ok I have been messing around with 1 of the P.C' I have here at home.

Authentic Barton XP 2800+ (Not the lower class Thoroughbred type)
A7V8X-X ASUS Motherboard.
2 sticks of KINSTON PC3200/512MB @ 400MHz. KHX Extreme X type.
Nvidia Ti 4200 128MB 8X AGP.

Now the A7V8X-X Motherboard is a stock board supplying AGP 8X support and onboard LAN and Audio it was not designed with overclocking in mind. However after reading hundreds of overclocking sites that claim locked BARTON CPU's and the A7V8X-X has a poor BIOS set-up for overclocking I have some good news to you guys that run a Identical RAM/MoB/CPU the graphics card is secondary.

Ok here are BIOS settings that will enable you to run the CPU at 2.25 GHz reported in the properties of the My Computer ICON.
Aida32 also reports the same mark at 2.25GHz.

Here are the Exact BIOS settings that seem after a week of very stable function. No crashes no corruption no peripheral difficulties.

CPU SPEED [ MANUAL ]
CPU Frequency Multiple [ 12.5 ]
CPU External Frequency (MHz) [ 180/36 ]
Memory Frequency (MHz) 360
CPU Vcore Setting [ Manual ]
CPU Vcore [ 1.650v ]

Leave the Memory timing in AUTO mode the A7V8X-X see's the Great Quality Kinston Memory and AUTO configures it to the highest timing settings so there is no need to manually input them. I suspect that a matched set of Corsair memory would also default to the highest memory timing settings.

For a Motherboard that is completely available for overclocking the ASUS AN7 Deluxe is looking like the best board to go with and the onboard LAN is better then the A7V8X-X's

I first ran this set-up with PC2700 Memory Generic stuff at 333MHz and I could not get it to even run that fast its top reported speed was 167MHz. The Mad Onion Benchmarks were giving me frame rates @ around 100 for the high detail test in the 2000SE version.
Now with the new KINSTON PC3200 RAM @ 1 Gig the scores for the same benchmark are around 200 FPS for the first 4 Low Detail tests and the High Detail Tests are logging in at around 125 to 130 FPS.
The key one to look at was the NATURE test with the old PC2700 Ram the Nature test was scoring at around 70 FPS now it scores almost 100 FPS (96 to 98 FPS)

I could set this system a little higher in the BIOS settings but so far I do NOT SEE any lag out of any application at a 1024X768 screen setting.
This seems to be the optimal settings for a Barton 2800+ on this A7V8X-X Motherboard.
I have seen some individuals get scores almost as good using the Authentic AMD 2500+ CPU and it would seem that that chip overclocks impeccably well from the hundreds of posts I have read all over the internet.
I have a 2500+ in the computer desk drawer that I replaced with the Barton 2800+ but it would seem that all I realy needed to upgrade was the memory and I could have almost achieved the speeds I am receiving now with the 2800+ cpu.
If you have a 2500+ CPU don't bother dropping the cash on a 2800+ Barton simply do some minor overclocking of that Rock Solid XP ready AMD 2500+ and you are in business OH DON'T FORGET to lose any PC2700 Ram and go to the PC3200 stuff. PC3200 is the max the A7V8X-X Motherboard will run and another KEY bit of information is the A7V8X-X DOES NOT SUPPORT DUAL Channels for memory usage and there is no BIOS update to add that option so it has to be a hardware issue with the KT400 chip-set.
If you want to do more then this MoB can offer go to the AN7 from ASUS its chipset is the very best using the Nvidia chipsets.

»§øЫÑighthåwk™ Don't get mad at the player get mad at the game. Hackers drool and Skill's rule.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
lower class Thoroughbred type
hm..i'm not sure if Thoroughbred 2800+ is lower
180FSBx12.5=2250Mhz
I can easily do that with my Thoroughbred 2600+ with PC2700, and they are on a KT333 Board, however
and still running at fast timing

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I first ran this set-up with PC2700 Memory Generic stuff at 333MHz and I could not get it to even run that fast its top reported speed was 167MHz.
err... Dude, that's the speed it's <i>supposed</i> to run at :eek: . <b>No-One</b> makes 184 pin DDR RAM that runs that fast, not even now. If you're claiming your current RAM is running an <i>actual clock</i> of >= 333Mhz then you're lying.

You do realise it's your PCI/AGP bus that's holding you back don't you? This is the major reason for nforce2 boards allowing much better overclocks - they can lock them to 33 and 66Mhz respectively.

Also, as you're running your RAM below spec, you probably <i>can</i> lower memory timings to increase performance.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
You were not paying much attention to the post.... I said that it was running at 167MHz the PC2700 stuff and my current PC3200 stuff... is currently running at 200MHz as reported by aida32 among other software benchmarks.
I think I also said that the A7V8X-X was a poor board for overclocking but the best numbers that I could pop in that the whole system remained stable at were the BIOS setting I posted in the beginning Post.

And because the motherboard does not support dual channels as I said already, running it at a 366=200MHz was the best settings the system could handle.

However when I go to the A7N Deluxe board next week I will punch the ram up to spec because that board will handle it.
As for the AGP Bus holding the system back I hardly think that a AGP 8X Bus holds much back because most boards before that were 2X to 4X AGP Bus driving strength.

You did not read the post you only pulled your head out of your asstaway long enough to get ignorant.

Besides I posted in the first place to offer numbers for BIOS settings for others using the A7V8X-X mother boards and AMD CPU's from 2600+ to the 2800+.

Why don't you post your system spec's up on the board so I can look at them instead of saying that's a nice system I could get ignorant and shoot it full of holes for being out of class out of date and a lagster.

AND this system that I posted on will rape your P4 systems hands down it does every night it is put into multy player in Day Of Defeat it leads every map for flags and kills not to mention put the Allies team in the lead.

OH check out your AMD CPU's the Thoroughbreds are the low end chips that why in the 2800+ class everyone wants the BARTON.

»§øЫÑighthåwk™ Don't get mad at the player get mad at the game. Hackers drool and Skill's rule.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
CPU Properties
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2250 MHz (6.25 x 360)
CPU Alias Barton
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 453 Pin PGA
Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
Transistors 54.3 million
Process Technology 6Mi, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu
Die Size 101 mm2
Core Voltage 1.65 V
I/O Voltage 1.6 V
Typical Power 53.7 - 60.4 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 68.3 - 76.8 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Product Information http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 0 %

CPUID Properties
CPUID Manufacturer AuthenticAMD
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2800+
CPUID Revision 06A0h
Extended CPUID Revision 07A0h
Platform ID CBh (Socket A)
IA CPU Serial Number Unknown

Instruction Set
AMD 3DNow! Supported
AMD 3DNow! Professional Supported
AMD Enhanced 3DNow! Supported
AMD Extended MMX Supported
AMD64 Not Supported
Cyrix Extended MMX Not Supported
IA-64 Not Supported
IA MMX Supported
IA SSE Supported
IA SSE 2 Not Supported
IA SSE 3 Not Supported
CLFLUSH Instruction Not Supported
CMPXCHG8B Instruction Supported
Conditional Move Instruction Supported
MONITOR / MWAIT Instruction Not Supported

CPUID Features
36-bit Page Size Extension Supported
Automatic Clock Control Not Supported
CPL Qualified Debug Store Not Supported
Debug Trace Store Not Supported
Debugging Extension Supported
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology Not Supported
Fast Save & Restore Supported
Fast System Call Supported
Hyper-Threading Technology Not Supported
L1 Context ID Not Supported
Local APIC On Chip Supported
LongRun Not Supported
LongRun Table Interface Not Supported
Machine-Check Architecture Supported
Machine-Check Exception Supported
Memory Type Range Registers Supported
Model Specific Registers Supported
Page Attribute Table Supported
Page Global Extension Supported
Page Size Extension Supported
Pending Break Event Not Supported
Physical Address Extension Supported
Processor Duty Cycle Control Not Supported
Processor Serial Number Not Supported
Self-Snoop Not Supported
Thermal Monitor Not Supported
Thermal Monitor 2 Not Supported
Time Stamp Counter Supported
Virtual Mode Extension Supported

Enhanced Power Management
Frequency ID Control Not Supported
Software Thermal Control Not Supported
Temperature Sensing Diode Supported
Thermal Monitoring Not Supported
Thermal Trip Not Supported
Voltage ID Control Not Supported

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 02/13/2003-VT8377/VT8235-A7V8X-X
Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 180 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 360 MHz
Bandwidth 2880 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 180 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 360 MHz
Bandwidth 2880 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 72 MHz (ODR)
Effective Clock 576 MHz
Bandwidth 576 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 6 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset KT400
Extra Features Q-Fan, CPU Overheating Protection, JumperFree, Stepless Freq Selection

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Product Information http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm
BIOS Download http://www.asus.com/support/download/download.aspx

Physical Memory
Total 1023 MB
Used 269 MB
Free 753 MB
Utilization 26 %

Swap Space
Total 2461 MB
Used 165 MB
Free 2296 MB
Utilization 7 %

Virtual Memory
Total 3485 MB
Used 434 MB
Free 3050 MB
Utilization 12 %

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Memory Module Properties
Module Name Kingston K
Serial Number 03227F58h
Module Size 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz)

Memory Module Features
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer
Company Name Kingston Technology Company, Inc.
Product Information http://www.kingston.com/products/default.asp

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
In-Order Queue Depth 4
CAS Latency 2.5T
RAS To CAS Delay 3T
RAS Precharge 3T
RAS Active Time 7T

AGP Properties
AGP Version 3.05
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 1024 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x
Current AGP Speed 8x
Fast-Write Supported, Enabled
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.
Product Information http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/chipsetindex.jsp
Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

BIOS Properties
BIOS Type Award Modular
Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.0
Award BIOS Message ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1003
System BIOS Date 02/13/03
Video BIOS Date 10/21/02

BIOS Manufacturer
Company Name Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Product Information http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm

You did not read the post you only pulled your head out of your asstaway long enough to get ignorant.

Sorry, SoD, but you have not earned the right to call anyone else here ignorant. It's your posts that smack of ignorance.

As for the AGP Bus holding the system back I hardly think that a AGP 8X Bus holds much back because most boards before that were 2X to 4X AGP Bus driving strength.

Are you really this stupid, or is it an act? When you overclock with that VIA board (another sign of your ignorance) the PCI/AGP bus multiplier IS NOT LOCKED. Therefore you are running your AGP BEYOND SPEC. AGP slots run at 66MHz. If you go too high above that 66MHz, you get system instability. (Just like 33MHz with PCI). Now, follow me on this one... I know you can do it... because you cannot push the AGP bus too far beyond 66MHz... IT'S HOLDING YOU BACK FROM OVERCLOCKING THE FSB BEYOND A CERTAIN THRESHOLD. That's what he meant when he said that AGP is holding you back.

AND this system that I posted on will rape your P4 systems hands down it does every night it is put into multy player in Day Of Defeat it leads every map for flags and kills not to mention put the Allies team in the lead.

Now I respectfully suggest that you pull YOUR head out of YOUR ass, because that is the current hole you're speaking from.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Dude, what's the point of this thread?? Each processor is different, who says the next person will get 2.25?? Heck, somebody may find 2.5GHz stable.

I'd recommend you try to lower the latency of your RAM if at all possible (I don't think Kingston is rated at CAS2, however, but you can try it). I'd also lower the multiplier and increase the FSB to 200ish, which the RAM is rated at. But don't blame me if your PCI and AGP devices go whacky.

Anyway, you really need to cut back on the pointless threads, if somebody asks a question about ideal settings for a 2800+, you should speak up then, as it would be greatly appreciated. If you do what you just did now, it will be forgotten as people stop bumping it up with replies.

Damn Rambus.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
AND this system that I posted on will rape your P4 systems hands down
Alright, you're on. I don't even have a P4C and my Intel is better than yours (and it's not overclocked). Too bad I don't have Day of Defeat, I'd make it my personal mission to pound your ass daily.

And because the motherboard does not support dual channels as I said already, running it at a 366=200MHz was teh best settings the system could handle.
Dual channel doesn't double the MHz, just the bandwidth. PC3200 will still run at 200MHz on dual channel. PC2700 will still run at 166MHz, etc.

You simply have no f-ing clue what you are talking about, do you??

However when I go to the A7N Deluxe board next week I will punch the ram up to spec because that board will handle it.
Good luck with that, maybe your computer will best mind after that...maybe.

it leads every map for flags and kills not to mention put the Allies team in the lead.
You are way too serious about DoD...you really need to calm down, it's not like you're getting anything out of it. The only reason why I would get that game would only be to pound you into the ground. Too bad I can't run internet games from behind my school's network...but network games are sweet.

Oh yeah, <b>PLEASE</b> learn English.

Damn Rambus.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I said that it was running at 167MHz the PC2700 stuff and my current PC3200 stuff... is currently running at 200MHz
No, you said (And I already quoted this...)
I first ran this set-up with PC2700 Memory Generic stuff at 333MHz and I could not get it to even run that fast its top reported speed was 167MHz.
Now, who's going to read that and not assume you thought your memory was supposed to run at 333Mhz. It's 166.6[recurring]Mhz, and as DDR means Double Data Rate, it is commonly misreported as 333Mhz, but your BIOS will be listing it as 166.. So in fact "I could not get it to even run that fast" is unsuprising, as it was already running at it's proper speed.

And because the motherboard does not support dual channels as I said already, running it at a 366=200MHz was the best settings the system could handle.
I said nothing about Dual channel.. and '366=200Mhz'? WTF are you talking about? you already said "Memory Frequency (MHz) 360" Which is 360DDR, or 180Mhz.. The RAM is <i>rated</i> for 200Mhz, but you yourself have said it's running at less than that. Are you contradicting yourself?

Good grief. you accuse <i>me</i> of not reading posts properly? I didn't state anything about the various AGP standards, I told you <i>exactly</i> what I meant... you do realise when you quoted "CPU External Frequency (MHz) [ 180/<b>36</b> ]" That the '36' is actually referring to your PCI bus speed? do you have the remotest clue about any of this?

Uneducated I can accept. Hypocritical I choose not to.

Why don't you post your system spec's up on the board
If you like... incidentally it'll cream yours.
Athlon XP1700+ @ 2.26Ghz (196x11.5), Vcore 1.575
512Mb (2x256Mb) Corsair LL PC3200 @ 196Mhz 2-2-2-4 in dual channel
Epox 8RDA+
Geforce4 Ti4600.

So... Does it suprise you that I own an AMD system? :tongue:

You're so clueless I find it quite funny. Please keep posting, it really brightens up my day :lol: .

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I just feel bad for the poor newbs who read his crap and take it at face value. I have yet to see a post where his information is even vaguely close to accurate. But don't forget, he's a 40 yr old engineer, computer store owner, who owns everyone in fps who uses intel because his axp doesn't lag like their crappy intel chip does.

If I seriously believed he built computers for a living I'd say anyone who bought a computer off him would have a great case for gross negligence and fraud.

Shadus

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Yeah.. I really don't care what he (or anyone else) says or does.... unless someone assumes that it's correct and takes his 'advice'.

I have no objection to people being wrong. We are all only human after all.

Being too stubborn to accept we were wrong is just stupid. <b>no-one</b> is always right 100% of the time. Accepting our mistakes & learning from them is just part of life, and is the only way to gain wisdom IMO.

---

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
That's exactly why I bitch at him every chance I get...because he has been consistently wrong throughout ALL of his posts.

I'd say anyone who bought a computer off him would have a great case for gross negligence and fraud.
I might just buy one and sue his ass...anyway, I don't think he's a 40 yr old engineer, computer store owner, who owns everyone in fps who uses intel because his axp doesn't lag like their crappy intel chip does, but maybe his dad is. He seems like a 12 yr old to me...maybe even younger. Too bad Michael Jackson doesn't live close enough to him to teach him a lesson.

I can't wait for his next really stupid/ignorant/'opposite-of-the-truth' comment! I've even decided that I won't try to get him banned (ask darko, I was planning it), but if enough newbs start believing him, I might have to start trying again in order to protect the truth.

Damn Rambus.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well, IIRC the lower-end t-breds (such as my 1700+) actually have a default Vcore of 1.5V. So it is slightly raised actually. Still pretty sweet speed at that voltage though :cool: .. The really odd thing is, no amount of extra juice up to ~1.9V seems to allow more speed :eek: (through raised multis that is) And I'm unwilling to go above that as I don't want to blow it up...

My 8RDA+ is a fairly early revision, so I can't get stable above 196FSB, but I'm thinking about using an old Socket A HSF I've got lying around as a northbridge cooler & raising VDD to allow more speed... I'll probably have to hacksaw it down in size a little.

---

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
> I don't think he's a 40 yr old engineer, computer
> store owner, who owns everyone in fps who uses
> intel because his axp doesn't lag like their
> crappy intel chip does, but maybe his dad is.

Nor do I, heh... was being sarcastic :p

Shadus

TRENDING THREADS