PRESARIO SR 1030NX won't make duplicate of CD's

russell

I have had virtually no problems with my 1030 nx except for one annoying
little problem. I am trying to make an exact duplicate of a audio CD using
Record Now. Program says the disc was "created successfully" but in fact
the disc is blank. I have used the DVD burner to burn my personal photos to
CD ever since I got this PC several months ago. I have also used DVD X COPY
to make 3 back up copies of DVD's I own..so I KNOW the burner works.
BUT...it will not make a duplicate of any CD using "exact copy" in Record
Now. I also have Pyro Cakewalk installed and in the past on my old pc used
this program ALL the time to make dupicate back up copies. Now after
installing on this machine it doesn't work either. I have used the Compaq
tech support system and after messaging back and forth for the last two days
the problem is still not solved and now I'm on my 3rd tech support geek and
he is suggesting a "non destructive" re-store. I'm sorry non destructive or
not that's a little more severe answer to my problem than I'm willing to try
right now. There has to be any easier answer. We have so far..reset the
bios...un-installed the DVD burner and let XP re-install it. It was
suggested that I re-install Record Now ...well after un-installing it per
the directions from the Application Recovery program it now is not on the
list of programs available for re-install. So now I'm basically screwed on
that note. Anybody had this problem on their SR1030NX??? I can burn all the
cd's I want using drag and drop from XP's explorer window, I've been doing
that for months with personal photo's and data. BUT...ask it to make a
exact copy of a audio CD and it fails. Any ideas? sorry for the length of
this question. Any help would be appreciated...thanx in advance.

Russell

russell

Ok..for once I get to answer my own question. After connecting with the 4th
Compaq tech support person his suggestion was to download a patch from :
www.dougknox./xp/scripts/xp cd dvd fix.vbs This patch has fixed my
problem. It appears it made change to the registery. Hope someone else
that needs it will find it. Strange that a "branded" computer directs you
to a secondary source for a "fix" to your problem but..OH WELL...it fixed
my problem. I did have to re-install Pyro Cakewalk but NOW it will make a
duplicate copy of a CD like it should have from the beginning.