XP slow shutdown

My computer over the past few days has been very slow closing down also
slightly slow opening. Have defragged, check spyware, virus etc. also used
disc clean but no difference. Any ideas please

Thanks
John

Malke

Johnnie Scott wrote:

> My computer over the past few days has been very slow closing down
> also
> slightly slow opening. Have defragged, check spyware, virus etc. also
> used
> disc clean but no difference. Any ideas please
>
> Thanks
> John

Here's an excellent shutdown troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Johnnie Scott wrote:

> My computer over the past few days has been very slow closing down also
> slightly slow opening. Have defragged, check spyware, virus etc. also used
> disc clean but no difference. Any ideas please
>
> Thanks
> John

Another option to try is clean boot troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Johnnie Scott wrote:
> My computer over the past few days has been very slow closing down
> also slightly slow opening. Have defragged, check spyware, virus
> etc. also used disc clean but no difference. Any ideas please

Set the pagefile to NOT delete at shutdown in the registry..

Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

rw

Zone alarm, remove it.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:58:22 GMT, "Johnnie Scott"
<john374999@.nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>My computer over the past few days has been very slow closing down also
>slightly slow opening. Have defragged, check spyware, virus etc. also used
>disc clean but no difference. Any ideas please
>
>Thanks
>John

wallywalt

Yes I have same problem, I just leave it to close itself down
Wally

Wally wrote:
> Yes I have same problem, I just leave it to close itself down

Set the pagefile to NOT delete at shutdown in the registry..

Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Hello Rock, Malke & RW
How slow is slow? - for me Log Off is about 10secs, shutdown can be up to
15/20 secs, I have 97% free space, if that matters, plus McAfee, Zone
Alarm, Adaware and Antispy beta
Is mine slow?? I dont know - havnt known it any different. I have saved
the links posted.
Antioch

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Johnnie Scott wrote:
>
>> My computer over the past few days has been very slow closing down also
>> slightly slow opening. Have defragged, check spyware, virus etc. also
>> used
>> disc clean but no difference. Any ideas please
>>
>> Thanks
>> John
>
> Another option to try is clean boot troubleshooting:
>
> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
> How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

antioch wrote:

> Hello Rock, Malke & RW
> How slow is slow? - for me Log Off is about 10secs, shutdown can be up to
> 15/20 secs, I have 97% free space, if that matters, plus McAfee, Zone
> Alarm, Adaware and Antispy beta
> Is mine slow?? I dont know - havnt known it any different. I have saved
> the links posted.
> Antioch
>

> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Johnnie Scott wrote:
>>

>>>My computer over the past few days has been very slow closing down also
>>>slightly slow opening. Have defragged, check spyware, virus etc. also
>>>used
>>>disc clean but no difference. Any ideas please
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>John
>>
>>Another option to try is clean boot troubleshooting:
>>
>>How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>>
>>How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

That's not slow.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

antioch wrote:
> How slow is slow? - for me Log Off is about 10secs, shutdown can be
> up to 15/20 secs, I have 97% free space, if that matters, plus
> McAfee, Zone Alarm, Adaware and Antispy beta
> Is mine slow?? I dont know - havnt known it any different. I have
> saved the links posted.

Slow is minutes - dependent of course on your hardware.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

antioch wrote:

> Hello Rock, Malke & RW
> How slow is slow? - for me Log Off is about 10secs, shutdown can be up
> 15/20 secs, I have 97% free space, if that matters, plus McAfee, Zone
> Alarm, Adaware and Antispy beta
> Is mine slow?? I dont know - havnt known it any different. I have
> saved the links posted.
> Antioch

Antioch dear, let's not worry about 15/20 seconds. Don't spend too much
time fretting over this kind of stuff. Just relax and enjoy your
computer. You seem very tense about using it. Here is a trick I use for
my clients who are nervous about their computer - I have them go to the
System applet in Control Panel and click on the Computer Name tab. Then
I have them name the computer something friendly and comforting. When
the computer is named "Fluffy", the client feels very differently about
it. You may laugh, but this works. Consider giving your computer a name
that is special to you and you will be surprised at how differently you
feel about your little silicon-based lifeform friend. ;-)

Best regards,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Sorry Malke
Phew thank goodness - I will try that - better than 'Nutter'
antioch