'Official' Prescott release date!

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031203151532.html" target="_new">Click here to read</A> 3.4GHz P4EE price also announced (incdentally, it's lower than the 3.2's current price at newegg).

Damn Rambus.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Not sure.

Something I just realize that is kind of disconcerting...look at the Northwood and Prescott prices @ 3.4GHz...they're the same. If Scotty were better, wouldn't the price be higher?? I know X-bit mentioned something about it, but I don't understand what they mean (if anything at all). I'd imagine that more cache, SSE3, and improved HT (and simply the fact that it is newer) would be worthy of a price increase, but I guess not. I can't wait for the reviews to come though...

Damn Rambus.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
One thing to keep in mind, is that MSRPs on new chips tend to be lower than the street price. The Opteron 248 is MSRPd to be about 920, and the lowest street price I could find is about 980. The price disparity was even worse at first, so that might have something to do with it. Dunno for sure though...

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i know they were preliminary however...benchmarks i saw earlier this year show scotty getting beat by a northwood at the same speed (both at 2.8).

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
benchmarks i saw earlier this year show scotty getting beat by a northwood at the same speed (both at 2.8)
I hope those were very preliminary using benchies that don't use HT, cache, or SSE3 (not that any proggy does now anyway) with a non-compatible motherboard. If Prescott is a bust I'll be majorly disapointed (as will all non anti-Intel people), if for no other reason than for competition's sake.

Damn Rambus.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
WTF:
"According to some sources, Intel’s Prescott design does have 64-bit extensions in addition to improvements in Hyper-Threading implementation and SSE3 realization. These extensions are not compatible with AMD64 technology and will not be enabled in first Prescott chips. Moreover, some say Intel is not likely to turn on additional functionality of the Prescott processor until 2005, probably when AMD’s 64-bit processors become more or less wide-spread on the market and may affect Intel’s sales."

That sounds like marketing BS to me: "Oh, BTW, we have 64bit extensions too just like AMD! You just can't use them right now, cuz uh, we don't want you to! yeah, that's it!"

Brilliant.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Still, the fact that the MSRPs are the same is a bit scary (talking about Scotty vs. Northwood). In the 3.2EE, I know it will go down, especially by March when we can finally get a 3.4EE (assuming a 30 day waiting period). I wouldn't doubt 3.2's price dropping below 1000 by the end of next week.

Damn Rambus.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
It was probably done to save design/production costs for the future (just like 90nm fab process). Oh well, it's only rumor/speculation/hype anyway. And you know what they say: "Don't believe the hype!"

Damn Rambus.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
" If Prescott is a bust I'll be majorly disapointed (as will all non anti-Intel people), if for no other reason than for competition's sake."

Well, I don't particularly like Intel, but I'll be disapointed too. We all win with these guys doing the one upmanship game. If it stops, they'll stop pushing the envelope. The nice thing is though, even if this chip is a bust, it won't take Intel too long to come out with something that isn't.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"Still, the fact that the MSRPs are the same is a bit scary (talking about Scotty vs. Northwood)."

Yeah, didn't see that. I had replied to your post without first reading the article as it sounded like it was one of those MSRP versus street price things.

That is odd. I wonder what the reason is...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i have an idea...

Maybe intel wants people who were waiting for the prescott to upgrade their current systems to socket 478. Then later when they release the LGA scottys people will have to buy a new mobo (and thus intel chipset) and also a new proc, just an idea but intel has done similar in the past.

The low price is an incentive for people to say "gee the scottys out leme upgrade my system!"

Just a thought...i know it has a few flaws but on paper the scotty looks like it should really outperform the northwood so thats my only explination for the $$ diffrence.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Northwood 400 FSB had the same price as NW 533 FSB after a month or 2.NW 800 FSB version cost the same now as B version.I1 I2 I2Madsion all have the same price at release 4100$.P4 1.6 GHZ northwood was about the same price that 1.6 willimete.I guess you get the point.

For the Socket T vs Socket 478, it normal to have a new socket after a while as Socket 478 was intoduce in 2002.Socket T will have 2 or 3 year life spam and be change when nephalem will be release if not before to have a twin socket for tejas.

Prescott will be about faster 10% to 20% faster that Nw in ANY software.

I dont like french test

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
D00D! They were supposed to be released TODAY. Of course Intel haters will tell you they were supposed to be released last spring and were delayed 15 times or somthing, but the only date I could get was Dec. 4.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

One thing to keep in mind, is that MSRPs on new chips tend to be lower than the street price.

Exactly. MSRP prices on CPUs are usually given per processor in lots of 1000. Only major OEMs and distributors purchase that many processors at once.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this, was that the performance of Prescott vs Northwood should be about the same and that's why Intel prices are identical for the two chips. Now that I think about it, maybe it's not that simple. Intel probably WANTS to sell more Prescotts than Northwoods because they will be cheaper to produce, so by selling a $400 Prescott they get more money than selling a $400 Northwood. So, even if Prescott performs a bit faster than Northwood this still doesn't change the fact than Intel prefers selling more Prescotts than Northwoods, and if this means selling a better product at a lower price, that's what they will do.

Anyway, the point is that we will have to wait and see how Prescott really performs and THEN judge it. I have no problem admitting that I am an AMD fan myself and right now the way I see it, my next upgrade will be sometime next year when San Diego is released. On the other hand, Intel is a huge company. Whoever underestimates it is either ignorant or plain stupid. I am rather optimistic though that AMD will be able to respond to whatever Intel introduces, but I doubt Prescott will be a huge flop as many are implying.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Maybe intel wants people who were waiting for the prescott to upgrade their current systems to socket 478. Then later when they release the LGA scottys people will have to buy a new mobo (and thus intel chipset) and also a new proc, just an idea but intel has done similar in the past.
That makes a lot sense...ahhhh, why are they all out to make money?! I'd actually do the same thing if I were them, not only would I make money, but more people would have better systems (or at least those who could afford it)...it's a 'win-win' situation.

On paper, Scotty is really kickass, but I don't know about Juin's theory of 10-20% extra...the EE doesn't even do that and it will cost twice as much. I hope it's a great performer...just to have AMD raise the bar with the 3600+ A64 (and subsequently the FX-55 for the EE). Gotta love competition.

Damn Rambus.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
So.........popey is right! No Prescott in this year!

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

taitertot

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
It might be released to OEM's this year.

-taitertot

I carry the legacy of one of your fallen; let us remember him fondly for he is always watching.