Can Palm Sync With a Digital Watch?

Tags:
November 22, 2004 1:19:17 PM

I just purchased a Zire 31 and I absolutely love it. I use it to
organize my frequent and widely varied appointments. It's much easier
than using the paper based planner that I'm phasing out.

The only thing I'd like to change is that I'd like to sync the PDA
(and thus my Microsoft Entourage calendar) with a digital wristwatch
so that instead of having to remember to check my PDA to see when an
appointment is coming up, I can just have the alarm go off and,
perhaps, tell me what the appointment is.

Does such a watch exist?

There is something called a Fossil Wrist PDA. It seems to be
unavailable right now and I'm not sure what it cost (I'd imagine it
was expensive). According to Fossil's website, new releases are
coming.

http://www.fossil.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2071&itemType=CAT...

But that seems much more than I need.

All I'd need would be a wristwatch that can program a lot of alarms by
date and time. If it's possible to produce a text message associated
with each alarm (i.e., Appt. w/Joe @ Office), that would be ideal.
Best would be if I could sync it with my PDA.

I realize this might seem like a highly specific need, but it seems to
me that it's the sort of thing a lot of businesspeople need. And I
don't see it on the net.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 10:14:39 PM

"harryted" <harryted@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a Zire 31 and I absolutely love it. I use it to
> organize my frequent and widely varied appointments. It's much easier
> than using the paper based planner that I'm phasing out.
>
> The only thing I'd like to change is that I'd like to sync the PDA
> (and thus my Microsoft Entourage calendar) with a digital wristwatch
> so that instead of having to remember to check my PDA to see when an
> appointment is coming up, I can just have the alarm go off and,
> perhaps, tell me what the appointment is.

Doesnt the Zire have an alarm function then?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 12:15:14 AM

In article <1e9823bf.0411221019.574ec151@posting.google.com>,
harryted@my-deja.com (harryted) wrote:

> I just purchased a Zire 31 and I absolutely love it. I use it to
> organize my frequent and widely varied appointments. It's much easier
> than using the paper based planner that I'm phasing out.

Yep. I tossed my Franklin planner and haven't looked back.

> The only thing I'd like to change is that I'd like to sync the PDA
> (and thus my Microsoft Entourage calendar) with a digital wristwatch
> so that instead of having to remember to check my PDA to see when an
> appointment is coming up, I can just have the alarm go off and,
> perhaps, tell me what the appointment is.
>
> Does such a watch exist?

Yes. Its called a Zire 31. Okay, that's not a wristwatch. But it is
better. I haven't worn a watch since I started carrying a Palm. Why
would you ever be without your Palm (and its alarm)? Especially in a
business setting. What do you do when someone asks if you can make an
appointment? Look at your watch?

I also tossed my checkbook, pocket calculator, and smallish dictionary.
Let go of things. Simplify. The freedom is great. Besides, glancing
down at your PDA will seem less rude than glancing at your watch.

>[..]
> All I'd need would be a wristwatch that can program a lot of alarms by
> date and time. If it's possible to produce a text message associated
> with each alarm (i.e., Appt. w/Joe @ Office), that would be ideal.
> Best would be if I could sync it with my PDA.

Just use the PDA. Just use the PDA. Just use the PDA.

> I realize this might seem like a highly specific need, but it seems to
> me that it's the sort of thing a lot of businesspeople need. And I
> don't see it on the net.

Did you know that you can have your PDA's clock automatically sync with
an "atomic clock" during a hotsync? It's indirect. Your PC must be
able sync its clock every time you log on to the Internet (my iMac does
this, I assume Wintel machines do the same). Then use the freeware
TimeCopy. It will automatically adjust your Palm's clock if needed.

Regards,

-Doug
November 23, 2004 12:35:58 AM

harryted@my-deja.com (harryted) wrote in news:1e9823bf.0411221019.574ec151
@posting.google.com:

> I just purchased a Zire 31 and I absolutely love it. I use it to
> organize my frequent and widely varied appointments. It's much easier
> than using the paper based planner that I'm phasing out.
>
> The only thing I'd like to change is that I'd like to sync the PDA
> (and thus my Microsoft Entourage calendar) with a digital wristwatch
> so that instead of having to remember to check my PDA to see when an
> appointment is coming up, I can just have the alarm go off and,
> perhaps, tell me what the appointment is.

What's wrong with the alarms on the Zire 31? If you install GeekSounds,
you can have enough alarm sounds to give every alarm its own unique tune.

> Does such a watch exist?
>
> There is something called a Fossil Wrist PDA. It seems to be
> unavailable right now and I'm not sure what it cost (I'd imagine it
> was expensive). According to Fossil's website, new releases are
> coming.

The Fossil is a Palm OS PDA, very small. Very small means very hard to
use, in most cases, but I haven't actually tried one out.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 5:21:50 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Apparently, the world is throwing
away its wristwatches and I just hadn't noticed. I'm not sure this is
a step I'm ready to take since I'm so accustomed to it, but I've
started carrying around my Palm in my pants pocket (most of my shirts
have no pockets) and will try to start using it to check the time.
Thanks for the advice.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 8:59:31 PM

harryted@my-deja.com (harryted) wrote in news:1e9823bf.0411241421.1d4c5af2
@posting.google.com:

> Thanks for the replies everyone. Apparently, the world is throwing
> away its wristwatches and I just hadn't noticed. I'm not sure this is
> a step I'm ready to take since I'm so accustomed to it, but I've
> started carrying around my Palm in my pants pocket (most of my shirts
> have no pockets) and will try to start using it to check the time.
> Thanks for the advice.

I'm not ready to throw away my watch, but I don't use it for alarms.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 6:28:32 AM

Begin Stan Gosnell quote:

; I'm not ready to throw away my watch, but I don't use it for alarms.

Depends on which watch. If I'm wearing my Timex and all I want is a
quick one-off timer, I'll use the timer on the watch.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Actual label instructions on consumer goods:
On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights: For indoor or outdoor
use only.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:08:45 PM

Check out the Timex Data Link USB wath--pretty cool, programmable, PDA
functionality, and only $560 at Wally Mart!

No built-in integration for the Palm, but that might change soon!!!

Thanks,

Mike

harryted wrote:

> I just purchased a Zire 31 and I absolutely love it. I use it to
> organize my frequent and widely varied appointments. It's much easier
> than using the paper based planner that I'm phasing out.
>
> The only thing I'd like to change is that I'd like to sync the PDA
> (and thus my Microsoft Entourage calendar) with a digital wristwatch
> so that instead of having to remember to check my PDA to see when an
> appointment is coming up, I can just have the alarm go off and,
> perhaps, tell me what the appointment is.
>
> Does such a watch exist?
>
> There is something called a Fossil Wrist PDA. It seems to be
> unavailable right now and I'm not sure what it cost (I'd imagine it
> was expensive). According to Fossil's website, new releases are
> coming.
>
> http://www.fossil.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2071&itemType=CAT...
>
> But that seems much more than I need.
>
> All I'd need would be a wristwatch that can program a lot of alarms by
> date and time. If it's possible to produce a text message associated
> with each alarm (i.e., Appt. w/Joe @ Office), that would be ideal.
> Best would be if I could sync it with my PDA.
>
> I realize this might seem like a highly specific need, but it seems to
> me that it's the sort of thing a lot of businesspeople need. And I
> don't see it on the net.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:09:52 PM

Check out the Timex Data Link USB watch--pretty cool, programmable, PDA
functionality, interfaces with the PC, and only $60 at Wally Mart!

harryted wrote:

> I just purchased a Zire 31 and I absolutely love it. I use it to
> organize my frequent and widely varied appointments. It's much easier
> than using the paper based planner that I'm phasing out.
>
> The only thing I'd like to change is that I'd like to sync the PDA
> (and thus my Microsoft Entourage calendar) with a digital wristwatch
> so that instead of having to remember to check my PDA to see when an
> appointment is coming up, I can just have the alarm go off and,
> perhaps, tell me what the appointment is.
>
> Does such a watch exist?
>
> There is something called a Fossil Wrist PDA. It seems to be
> unavailable right now and I'm not sure what it cost (I'd imagine it
> was expensive). According to Fossil's website, new releases are
> coming.
>
> http://www.fossil.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2071&itemType=CAT...
>
> But that seems much more than I need.
>
> All I'd need would be a wristwatch that can program a lot of alarms by
> date and time. If it's possible to produce a text message associated
> with each alarm (i.e., Appt. w/Joe @ Office), that would be ideal.
> Best would be if I could sync it with my PDA.
>
> I realize this might seem like a highly specific need, but it seems to
> me that it's the sort of thing a lot of businesspeople need. And I
> don't see it on the net.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 1:23:08 AM

In message <41AB57E0.6050002@gwis.com> "Mike (remove XX's to reply)"
<aXXeneXXas@gwis.com> wrote:

>Check out the Timex Data Link USB watch--pretty cool, programmable, PDA
>functionality, interfaces with the PC, and only $60 at Wally Mart!
>
>No built-in integration for the Palm, but that might change soon!!!

*whew* I somehow couldn't see Walmart selling a $560 watch.

Any idea if these things look hideous or like a decent sport watch?

--
I read usenet for the articles

<aXXeneXXas@gwis.com> wrote:

>Check out the Timex Data Link USB watch--pretty cool, programmable, PDA
>functionality, interfaces with the PC, and only $60 at Wally Mart!
>
>No built-in integration for the Palm, but that might change soon!!!

But it does sync with Outlook. As much as I'd never let Outlook touch
my email (or anything online actually), it's a decent PIM and a good
central data source since almost everything synchronizes with Outlook.

--
I read usenet for the articles
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:41:12 PM

DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:
> In message <41AB57E0.6050002@gwis.com> "Mike (remove XX's to reply)"
> <aXXeneXXas@gwis.com> wrote:
>
>> Check out the Timex Data Link USB watch--pretty cool, programmable,
>> PDA functionality, interfaces with the PC, and only $60 at Wally
>> Mart!
>>
>> No built-in integration for the Palm, but that might change soon!!!
>
> *whew* I somehow couldn't see Walmart selling a $560 watch.
>
> Any idea if these things look hideous or like a decent sport watch?

Open your browser to http://www.google.com/
Click "Images"
Enter "Timex Data Link"

And to the previous poster, why do you think that there might be built-in
integration for Palm? Microsoft who provides the MSN linkup isn't too keen
on providing that, I bet.

There was a watch with PalmOS on it, from Fossil, but it flopped even before
hitting the stores.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

Begin Arthur Hagen quote:

; > Any idea if these things look hideous or like a decent sport watch?
;

Or better yet, go to <http://www.timex.com/datalink/&gt;.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

It is 25,000 light-years from Earth to the center of the Milky Way
galaxy, which is 100,000 light-years in diameter. The Milky Way is
about 18 billion years old, contains a few hundred billion stars, and
is only one of the 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe.
Now, how urgent was your problem?
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 10:04:09 PM

In article <coi0q8$3v6$1@cauldron.broomstick.com>, "Arthur Hagen"
<art@broomstick.com> wrote:

> There was a watch with PalmOS on it, from Fossil, but it flopped even before
> hitting the stores.

And will be coming back in an improved form "later this year." From the
Fossil Web site.
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 12:15:26 PM

DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

No, I didn't write that. Please learn how to snip, DevilsPG.

I didn't write this either:

>>> *whew* I somehow couldn't see Walmart selling a $560 watch.
>>>
>>> Any idea if these things look hideous or like a decent sport watch?

But I did write this:

>> Open your browser to http://www.google.com/
>> Click "Images"
>> Enter "Timex Data Link"
>
> The pictures aren't especially helpful since they're head-on and don't
> give any indication of how thick or unwieldy the watch would be.

There's several hundred pics there, many of which are *not* heads on.
There's a nifty little function called "Next" at the bottom of Google search
pages that will bring you more pictures.
http://www.jjbic.org/connect/products/timextransfer.jpg is an example of the
watch being worn, and seen from the side.

Of course, if none of the pictures you initially see are suitable, you can
also go to the last Google page and choose to see more pictures from the
same pages (like http://pclab.pl/print8404.html which has a whole bunch of
pictures, including at least two that are directly from the side to show the
thickness) but that might be too much to expect?

If you're truly unable to find information without help, I strongly suggest
that you take a class, or you're going to be severely handicapped in today's
society.

--
*Art
!