Sign in with
Your question

Pentium M vs P4 Mobile vs Mobile A64

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2003 12:41:25 AM

I was wondering which one of those gives better performance? I am currently thinking top end p4 3.2 ghz and A64 3200 would have same performance like the desktop version. Possibly I was thinking they would both out perform pentium m too. Anyone actually know any benchmarks comparing them?
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2003 12:53:19 AM

The Pentium M is based on the Pentium III, but uses some advanced features from the Pentium 4. The Pentium III offered better performance, clock for clock, than the Pentium 4. And this enhanced version is better still.

I'll take an educated guess here, it would take a Pentium M around 2GHz to offer similar performance to the P4 3.2GHz in many applications. But the Pentium M would offer cooler/quieter operation and far superior battery life.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 4, 2003 1:45:01 AM

The P-M is still at 1.7 ghz only though. Is intel going to release higher clocks anytime soon. Are you sure P-M would give much better battery life? I just was looking at dell's notebook and it said the thier top end P-M has 4.5 hours of battery life and the P4 top end had 4 hours of battery life. Half hour isn't really much of difference to give up for better performance.
Related resources
December 4, 2003 1:53:54 AM

that sounds like a lie...or the dell laptop had dual batteries.

The p4 uses way more power than pentium M

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
December 4, 2003 11:28:50 AM

You'll notice that it's "Maximum battery life", which could mean many things.

In reality, actual battery life differs dramatically from the "maximum". Although the Pentium-M based notebooks usually come much closer to their maximum rated battery life than P4-M or Athlons. Keep in mind that the P4 in a laptop will *not* perform as well as its desktop counterpart. Even if you stick a desktop P4 in a laptop. The power provided by a laptop battery, not to mention the temperature levels a desktop P4 in that space will get up to, will mean the processor will constantly be throttling and performance will suffer dramatically.
I'm not sure whether this is the case for the Athlons or not. I think the Athlon64's are much better at this, however, they do run significantly hotter than the Pentium-M's and, according to <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1921&p=9" target="_new">Anand</A>, does not offer that great a battery life (about 3 hours). That's still respectable, but compare it with the 4-5 hours most Pentium-M laptops offer and the whopping <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1801&p=1..." target="_new">7 hours</A> of battery life the IBM T-40 offers, it's not that great.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
December 4, 2003 12:19:39 PM

i believe the ones with P4 have bigger, heavier batteries.

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: 
December 4, 2003 9:07:33 PM

hmm if Moblie M had higher battery life i would think they would have pumped it up like they did for p4 so they could sell more of those. The mobile M was more expensive than p4! I am guessing they have bad marketing :p 

Also is the battery power problem sloved if you just AC adapter and plug in instead of using the battery?
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2003 10:15:59 PM

When comparing two notebooks, it's often the case that one that requires twice the power will come with a battery twice the size. And it will have twice the cooling. It will likely be 3 pounds heavier, 3/8" thicker, and so forth. A lot of these Pentium M systems are made to be portable, while most P4 laptops are of the "desktop replacement" variety, you only move them when you have to.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 4, 2003 11:37:13 PM

They have "pumped it up". The $300 million ad campaign for "Centrino" advertises just that. Although the Pentium-M wasn't mentioned specifically, it is part of the "Centrino" package.

December 5, 2003 6:30:29 AM

pump up the clockspeed or the hype?

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: 
December 5, 2003 3:54:32 PM

Hype of course, clockspeed's limited by the architecture.

!