Hi all,

I've just been round to help my neighbour with her laptop... she's 80
(Bless!)

Anyway, when booting up a message appears to say that before windows can log
on the product (XP Home) needs to be activated.

No problem, so I press OK.

But then, in the Product Activation window it says, This product has already
been activated, press OK. Which I do but then it shuts down.

It's just a continual circle that I can't seem to get out of.

By the way, it boots up okay in safe Mode.

Can anybody offer me any assistance?

Regards,

Debi :)

Thats strange.. Have you tried to reinstall Windows, I
not sure if this is the only way.. But seems theres a problem
with the product activation feature.. It's possible that a unwanted
program/virus has messed with the products activation and
therefore thinks its not activated, therefore you cant activate it again..

In article <431b3e10$0$12890$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
debi@running.com says...
> Hi all,
>
> I've just been round to help my neighbour with her laptop... she's 80
> (Bless!)
>
> Anyway, when booting up a message appears to say that before windows can log
> on the product (XP Home) needs to be activated.
>
> No problem, so I press OK.
>
> But then, in the Product Activation window it says, This product has already
> been activated, press OK. Which I do but then it shuts down.
>
> It's just a continual circle that I can't seem to get out of.
>
> By the way, it boots up okay in safe Mode.
>
> Can anybody offer me any assistance?

Select Phone Activation and call the number listed for your area.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Debi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just been round to help my neighbour with her laptop... she's 80
> (Bless!)
>
> Anyway, when booting up a message appears to say that before windows can log
> on the product (XP Home) needs to be activated.
>
> No problem, so I press OK.
>
> But then, in the Product Activation window it says, This product has already
> been activated, press OK. Which I do but then it shuts down.
>
> It's just a continual circle that I can't seem to get out of.
>
> By the way, it boots up okay in safe Mode.
>
> Can anybody offer me any assistance?

It may be that your neighbor's activation has become
"unregistered." Try this solution, posted by Carey Frisch, MS-MVP:

Possible Resolution:

Boot into "Safe Mode" by pressing (F8) during a reboot.

Go to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 regwizc.dll , and hit enter.
Then go again to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 licdll.dll , and
hit enter again.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Debi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just been round to help my neighbour with her laptop... she's 80
> (Bless!)
>
> Anyway, when booting up a message appears to say that before windows
> can log on the product (XP Home) needs to be activated.
>
> No problem, so I press OK.
>
> But then, in the Product Activation window it says, This product has
> already been activated, press OK. Which I do but then it shuts down.
>
> It's just a continual circle that I can't seem to get out of.
>
> By the way, it boots up okay in safe Mode.
>
> Can anybody offer me any assistance?
>
> Regards,
>

> Debi :)

What is the make of the Laptop and was windows preinstalled?

--
Peace!
Kurt

Leythos wrote:
> In article <431b3e10$0$12890$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
> debi@running.com says...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just been round to help my neighbour with her laptop... she's 80
>> (Bless!)
>>
>> Anyway, when booting up a message appears to say that before windows
>> can log on the product (XP Home) needs to be activated.
>>
>> No problem, so I press OK.
>>
>> But then, in the Product Activation window it says, This product has
>> already been activated, press OK. Which I do but then it shuts down.
>>
>> It's just a continual circle that I can't seem to get out of.
>>
>> By the way, it boots up okay in safe Mode.
>>
>> Can anybody offer me any assistance?
>
> Select Phone Activation and call the number listed for your area.

You can't when the wizard says it is already activated, because the
phone option doesn't show up.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Dear all,

Thanks for your prompt replies!

I've decided to reinstall as it took over 5 mins to boot so I suspect a lot
of trash in there... she has a recent backup so all is not lost!

Kindest regards,

Debi :)

Debi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for your prompt replies!
>
> I've decided to reinstall as it took over 5 mins to boot so I suspect
> a lot of trash in there... she has a recent backup so all is not lost!
>
> Kindest regards,
>

> Debi :)

That's good she has a recent backup. Good Luck.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

That is because she has the file Reset5 sitting in System32. This will show as Activated when it is not. It comes from an Activation hack that someone tried to or did on her computer. Reset5 will cause this depending on the days that it was set to run. Could have been 30,60,90,120,180 days and when expired you get what you have at present.

--
Peter

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 21:13:17 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>That is because she has the file
>Reset5 sitting in System32. This will show as Activated when it is not. It comes from
>an Activation hack that someone tried to or did on her computer.
>Reset5 will cause this depending on the days that it was set to run.
>Could have been 30,60,90,120,180 days and when expired you get what you have at present.

Not knowing much about cracks. I don't use them
I thought reset5 was a permanent crack. It would never expire.

Delete the reset5 stuff in the c:\windows\system32
then try the key fix

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/key.html

Greg Ro

Peter Foldes wrote:
> That is because she has the file Reset5 sitting in System32. This
> will show as Activated when it is not. It comes from an Activation
> hack that someone tried to or did on her computer. Reset5 will cause
> this depending on the days that it was set to run. Could have been
> 30,60,90,120,180 days and when expired you get what you have at
> present.

Actually it is also a symptom of a BIOS-Lock install that has a some
file corruption.