Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4 EE, Unlocked?

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2003 7:16:24 PM

So the day has finally come, and newegg has the boxed version of the Pentium 4 EE available, for a mere (choke, $1045). Now, I am one of the few actually crazy enough to buy one... But only on one condition. Does anybody know if the boxed version of this processor comes with an unlocked multiplier? Most of the reviewed samples were unlocked (from 12x to 28x), and if I could run this puppy at 18x (3.6 GHz - watercooled, of course), I think it might be worth the price of admission. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : pentium unlocked

December 4, 2003 7:48:35 PM

I don't care whether someone has the money or not. For me, anyone paying $1000 for a CPU is simply stupid! Sorry for saying this but that's the way I feel, and I repeat, it doesn't matter if you have a million dollars or not. It still remains a very stupid thing to do.

Anyway, answering your question, the multiplier is locked. I guess you can reach 3.6GHz by increasing the FSB, like with "regular" Pentium 4s.
December 4, 2003 9:10:41 PM

my god... are you sane?
Why pay all that money for only a few extra Percentage points?

<b>Lead me not into temptation.
I know the way myself. :evil: 
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
Related resources
December 4, 2003 10:09:39 PM

He asked a question and he deserve an answer.
But i dont know that answer in question.

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my last computer (pIII 550......)
December 4, 2003 10:12:28 PM

I think you will have to buy it to find out.
Or wait to see what is reported on the Internet.
From past practice Intel will probably have the multiplier locked.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
December 4, 2003 10:30:24 PM

PEE 3.2 OCed to 3.6 Big deal. I bought 2.4C in July paided $175 OCed to 3.0.
December 5, 2003 12:49:13 AM

I read in a review when they first came out that is what unlocked. After all, these chips are targeted at gamers. I've been wondering that same question for myself (just for knowledge, don't actually have the money). Unfortuately, I havn't read about unlocked multipliers anywhere else, so it could have just been a blurb or something. If you do buy, post back here and tell us would ya? Or if you don't buy it.....can I have some of that money? (I think my celeron 1.1 oc'd to 1.4 could use an upgrade)

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue
December 5, 2003 1:09:55 AM

This type of CPU are made for server unless you run those type of apps you wont gain more that few %.

No multiplier are lock like any Xeon Pentium exception to Itanium.

I dont like french test
December 5, 2003 11:42:26 AM

Partly true, partly false. The extra cache on the P4EE helps it out on most all applications that utilize the processor heavily, including games. If I were building a $5000 pc and decided to go with Intel, I would probally buy the EE. It's not a good price, but shrug. It's not a bad deal if you are choosing to spend a large ammount of money on a pc, most of us just don't care to spend $1k on a single component... except occasionally a monitor which will last a couple systems.

Shadus
December 5, 2003 5:06:56 PM

5% or 8% still is on the marge of few %.Game like low lantency anything that offer lower lantency will be faster.

I dont like french test
December 6, 2003 1:29:03 AM

" Sorry for saying this but that's the way I feel, and I repeat, it doesn't matter if you have a million dollars or not. It still remains a very stupid thing to do."

Just thought I'd offer a different perspective: If a thousand dollar cpu can save you 1 hour of compile time on a programming project as compared to compiling on a budget cpu, and you compile 2 times a week, you'd end up gaining over 2 1/2 work weeks worth of time over the course of a year by going with the faster processor. That's a substantial savings in time and return on investment.

But if you're just buying a thousand dollar processor for the fastest possible gaming rig or for system speed bragging rights, then I agree: Dumb duh dumb dumb...

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>
December 6, 2003 1:42:28 AM

But in that case you would buy a MP system.
December 6, 2003 2:51:48 AM

I did, with two 1000 dollar cpu's. ;) 

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>
!