ok fellas

i need to install win2k from a non bootable cdrom drive...
i believe i have installed the cd driver..
how do start win2k from the cd rom?
i tried setup and cant do that from dos(im sure you already know), but i
dont know what to do next. thx in advance

dave4hirenow3000 wrote:
> i need to install win2k from a non bootable cdrom drive...
> i believe i have installed the cd driver..
> how do start win2k from the cd rom?
> i tried setup and cant do that from dos(im sure you already know),
> but i dont know what to do next. thx in advance

Get a bootable Win98 Emergency Recovery floppy. It will install generic
CDROM drivers and allow you to run E:\setup.exe on the CD. It's "E"
since the boot floppy installs a RAM disk as D.
http://www.bootdisks.com

Ok Qua, I did that, but it wont let me run the e:\setup from dos mode. Any
other ideas?

mark

Just had to do this myself two nights ago... been driving me nuts
because I haven't been able to install Windows2000 on several machines
for this very reason - non bootable CD.

What you need to do is start the machine with a set of CD-ROM drivers
(a win98 boot disk will work just fine). Then, rather than run
setup.exe, change to the "I386" folder and run "winnt.exe" - this file
will accomplish the same task as the four startup disks... however, it
will take a while, I would recommend going to www.bootdisk.com and
downloading the four startup disks as they are prepared automatically
with SmartDrive. Running winnt.exe from the CD does not use
SmartDrive and therefore takes a very long time to copy the files to
your hard drive. Once this is done (took about 30 minutes on my
Presario 7360), the regular Win2000 setup starts...

All in all, very easy process - just time consuming. If I had known
about the winnt.exe file in the other folder I would have several
machines running much better than they are.

"dave4hirenow3000" <dave4hirenow3000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<6b5171f721a0a657e4c6302b69a2b39a@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com>...
> Ok Qua, I did that, but it wont let me run the e:\setup from dos mode. Any
> other ideas?

"dave4hirenow3000" <dave4hirenow3000@yahoo.com> wrote in
com:

> i need to install win2k from a non bootable cdrom drive...
> i believe i have installed the cd driver..
> how do start win2k from the cd rom?
> i tried setup and cant do that from dos(im sure you already
> know), but i dont know what to do next. thx in advance

You need to boot from the specific W2K Pro setup boot diskettes,
which you can create by following the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197063

Or, if more convenient, download them from:

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/dwnlddisk.htm

http://www.stcscomputers.com/bootdisks.htm

http://www.topqualityfreeware.com/~jchojnacki/

.... Ben Myers