NASCAR PIN in MO ? You betcha - high res pics too!

Last response: in Video Games
July 31, 2005 6:04:47 AM

Detailed Nascar Pinball Pictures.
These were taken with permission from Stern, (we may have taken a few MORE
pictures with a teeny bit more detail than we initially said, but really,
it's OK....... we liked it! )

Great Game, fun, play appeal, decent rules, very few bugs (we played it for
10+ hours) (free play to boot!) some quirky things in the rules, but no
show stoppers......

1) No html skills were used in posting this page
2) It's a HUGE page with a lot of HIGH res pictures (deal with it, sorry)
3) Yes it's a Stern Nascar
4) No it's not mine (yet)
5) Yes, we burned roms for it Friday morning - ones we installed were.081 (I
think)
6) No review, but feel free to ask questions about it.
7) It's a Tripod free page, so they may freak about a lot of bandwith on
these, I'll look for alternate posting sites if I get around to it.

Not, the link, But first, you can buy these from me as well - not yet
because this one is a test piece with PRODUCTION playfield and art, just
proto roms..... Questions, pinball@kc.rr.com

http://kc-pinball.tripod.com/main.html
Thanks and you're welcome, Bernie KC-Pinball
(Oh, I'll answer questions, but not tonight, I'm getting drunk shortly after
I post this!.......)
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:04:48 AM

Damn Bernie, forget NASCAR, I would have been all over that claw game!
Thanks for the pics, some really great shots. Can you comment on the
race track effect and how did it work?

Charlie L.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:04:48 AM

Those siderails are interesting.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Detailed Nascar Pinball Pictures.
> These were taken with permission from Stern, (we may have taken a few MORE
> pictures with a teeny bit more detail than we initially said, but really,
> it's OK....... we liked it! )
>
> Great Game, fun, play appeal, decent rules, very few bugs (we played it
> for 10+ hours) (free play to boot!) some quirky things in the rules, but
> no show stoppers......
>
> 1) No html skills were used in posting this page
> 2) It's a HUGE page with a lot of HIGH res pictures (deal with it, sorry)
> 3) Yes it's a Stern Nascar
> 4) No it's not mine (yet)
> 5) Yes, we burned roms for it Friday morning - ones we installed were.081
> (I think)
> 6) No review, but feel free to ask questions about it.
> 7) It's a Tripod free page, so they may freak about a lot of bandwith on
> these, I'll look for alternate posting sites if I get around to it.
>
> Not, the link, But first, you can buy these from me as well - not yet
> because this one is a test piece with PRODUCTION playfield and art, just
> proto roms..... Questions, pinball@kc.rr.com
>
> http://kc-pinball.tripod.com/main.html
> Thanks and you're welcome, Bernie KC-Pinball
> (Oh, I'll answer questions, but not tonight, I'm getting drunk shortly
> after I post this!.......)

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:09:01 AM

looking at my spelling, I might have been drunk WHILE I posted this....
sorry, bad grammar is free.....
Enjoy! Bernie KC-Pinball

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Detailed Nascar Pinball Pictures.
> These were taken with permission from Stern, (we may have taken a few MORE
> pictures with a teeny bit more detail than we initially said, but really,
> it's OK....... we liked it! )
>
> Great Game, fun, play appeal, decent rules, very few bugs (we played it
> for 10+ hours) (free play to boot!) some quirky things in the rules, but
> no show stoppers......
>
> 1) No html skills were used in posting this page
> 2) It's a HUGE page with a lot of HIGH res pictures (deal with it, sorry)
> 3) Yes it's a Stern Nascar
> 4) No it's not mine (yet)
> 5) Yes, we burned roms for it Friday morning - ones we installed were.081
> (I think)
> 6) No review, but feel free to ask questions about it.
> 7) It's a Tripod free page, so they may freak about a lot of bandwith on
> these, I'll look for alternate posting sites if I get around to it.
>
> Not, the link, But first, you can buy these from me as well - not yet
> because this one is a test piece with PRODUCTION playfield and art, just
> proto roms..... Questions, pinball@kc.rr.com
>
> http://kc-pinball.tripod.com/main.html
> Thanks and you're welcome, Bernie KC-Pinball
> (Oh, I'll answer questions, but not tonight, I'm getting drunk shortly
> after I post this!.......)

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:36:26 AM

The "Stern Speedway" as they call the loop around the playfield is a neat
effect. When you launch the ball, it does a lap before dropping into play.
When you get a multiball (it also has the add a ball multiball), You will
have 2 balls locked on the PF, ball 3 auto launches and does 10 laps (verbal
countdown) as you play the other 2 balls. When you hear "ONE", it's coming
onto the PF. Well done, balls can drop in it from time to time, but they
only do a 1/2 loop and dump right back into play. It's distracting at
first, but after a few games, you are just fascinated by the 2 balls you are
trying to keep in play and the 3rd one looping below the flippers. What was
un-expected about the "speedway" is that the balls don't zip around like
getaway, then kind of cruise solwer than you could think, but at a speed
that - well, is like a scale model nascar track. Well done - wish I would
have thought of it.
I know this makes the game a bit narrower and a bit shorter as to the
"playfield square inches", but I like it. Your mileage may vary, but It
will be the hit of the gameroom for a while.

The Test Car is the integral portion of the game, hit it to activate it, it
lifts up and you have to get the ball in the scoop. Bump N Run is a great
mode for this, you bash the car, it pops up and you get like 400K points,
but it pops up and you have what seems to be 2 seconds to drop it into the
scoop for even more points. It also has a mode that by putting the ball in
the scoop (they call it the garage) it increases the value of all of the
jackpot shots, so put it in the garage 5 or 6 times, get jackpots worth a
mil+ and MAKE the jackpot shot. Easier said than done.

I like it, but I also like popeye, so make your own decision, but this game
looked great, I love the more traditional playfield art - stern does seem to
have very transparent inserts, so they light up super bright, There seems to
be alittle less cheese in this game (figurines etc), and that may be why it
seems more old school. It's a good universal theme (at least in MY
universe), it will go well in just about any location, and the chicks that
were there with us liked the game ant they were "not pinball players"....

Also a tough game to score big on - the default high score is 100M, and the
best any of us chuckers could pull of was in the 45-48 mil range.
"Charlie L." <nflis4me@aol.com> wrote in message
> Damn Bernie, forget NASCAR, I would have been all over that claw game!
> Thanks for the pics, some really great shots. Can you comment on the
> race track effect and how did it work?
>
> Charlie L.

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:44:45 AM

Zipping now, will send in the AM.... There are 2X the pics in the zip
file... more under the PF, some looking down the PF at the flippers. There
are a lot of general pics out there, so I shot more of the detail areas.
Just select the best ones and stick them out there... once you do, I'll
take my page down.... Thanks..
Bernie KC-Pinball
"Rictor" <rictor99@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Send me the files in a .zip and I'll be happy to host the page for you
> on pinballblog.com.
>
> http://www.pinballblog.com
> http://www.gameroomblog.com

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:44:46 AM

thanks for the pics and some description sounds cool, looks like a newton
ball without the rod, just held in by that fat metal rolled bracket. Very
good pics, can't wait you lucky dogs.

Trin
> Zipping now, will send in the AM.... There are 2X the pics in the zip
> file... more under the PF, some looking down the PF at the flippers.
> There are a lot of general pics out there, so I shot more of the detail
> areas.
> Just select the best ones and stick them out there... once you do, I'll
> take my page down.... Thanks..
> Bernie KC-Pinball
> "Rictor" <rictor99@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Send me the files in a .zip and I'll be happy to host the page for you
>> on pinballblog.com.
>>
>> http://www.pinballblog.com
>> http://www.gameroomblog.com

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 11:13:10 AM

>Already starting to wear on the test game in IL. I've >nicknamed the track
>"The Wearinator". :)  I think this is the first game >that I would say that
>it's _REQUIRED_ to be re-clearcoated (or, at the >very least, mylared!) even
>for _home_ use.

I will go on record now and say that this will be the dirtiest-running
game ever, usurping Getaway's top spot. That much steel-on-steel is
going to generate a LOT of black dust. Looks fun, though!
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 11:19:44 AM

cchu...@comcast.net schreef:

> >Already starting to wear on the test game in IL. I've >nicknamed the track
> >"The Wearinator". :)  I think this is the first game >that I would say that
> >it's _REQUIRED_ to be re-clearcoated (or, at the >very least, mylared!) even
> >for _home_ use.
>
> I will go on record now and say that this will be the dirtiest-running
> game ever, usurping Getaway's top spot. That much steel-on-steel is
> going to generate a LOT of black dust. Looks fun, though!

they 'STERN' should be using some 1mm lexan as underlying coat or yes
re' clearcoating it perhaps.on the speedtrack to prevent wear on the
playfield. if it's allready start to wear over there,. then it is
worser then i could imagine. since the testgame is only served for lets
say a couple of weeks?! a month? i hope stern has a forthseeing eye on
this upcoming issue. and makes some inprovements on it, to prevent
playfield damage.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:55:24 PM

What location is the test game in IL? I'd like to go play it.

Kitch
July 31, 2005 3:02:29 PM

Manic wrote:
> Wow notice the HUGE metal cab protectors by the flipper
> buttons... I guess I *should* be happy Stern is doing this ...but
> man they are ugly. I guess upgrading the ink or the art was
> out of the question but now I think even the clear mylar rings
> look better than these (and I don't like those either ;-)

IMO, this is the best thing Stern could have done, perhaps they could
have been a little smaller but I think the overall idea is a good one.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:40:52 PM

> The "Stern Speedway" as they call the loop around the playfield is a neat
> effect. When you launch the ball, it does a lap before dropping into play.

Is there anyway to bypass this effect? I mean, it sounds cool, but I've
got the feeling that after five games I'm going to be saying "Please
just LET ME PLAY!", the same way I do with opening DMD animations.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:56:36 PM

"Manic" <manicmusicREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Another question is how long before the constantly revolving
> ball wears a permanent path around the PF? Maybe the slower
> speed of this (as you described) will help hold this off for
> a while?

Already starting to wear on the test game in IL. I've nicknamed the track
"The Wearinator". :)  I think this is the first game that I would say that
it's _REQUIRED_ to be re-clearcoated (or, at the very least, mylared!) even
for _home_ use.

I'm hoping that they have an adjustment to turn off the automatic loop on
launch; after your first three games it's just like, "ugh... ENOUGH
already!!"
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:56:37 PM

Sounds like the Hurricane "skill" shot....

--
Fred
TX

"TheKorn" <TheKorn@TheKorn.Net> wrote

> I'm hoping that they have an adjustment to turn off the automatic loop on
> launch; after your first three games it's just like, "ugh... ENOUGH
> already!!"

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:06:37 PM

no, it only takes a second or 2 during launch - kind of like launching into
pop bumpers....
"Boyd Bottorff" <bbottorff@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> The "Stern Speedway" as they call the loop around the playfield is a neat
>> effect. When you launch the ball, it does a lap before dropping into
>> play.
>
> Is there anyway to bypass this effect? I mean, it sounds cool, but I've
> got the feeling that after five games I'm going to be saying "Please
> just LET ME PLAY!", the same way I do with opening DMD animations.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:13:38 PM

This model (the one in MO) was wear free, BUT it had less than 400 plays on
it - . I can't imagine there being too much differnece in the playfields
(Korn's tester and this one)... So that is disturbing. I'd hate to have
these out on route and them get worn like that. Maybe owner installed mylar
in that area would be an option.... I know Stern Reads this stuff, and
I'll toss a note up that way as well tomorrow....

Since I won't get to THIS piece ever again, I'll leave the longevity portion
to the Korn.

Bernie KC-Pinball

"TheKorn" <TheKorn@TheKorn.Net> wrote in message
> "Manic" <manicmusicREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Another question is how long before the constantly revolving
>> ball wears a permanent path around the PF? Maybe the slower
>> speed of this (as you described) will help hold this off for
>> a while?
>
> Already starting to wear on the test game in IL. I've nicknamed the track
> "The Wearinator". :)  I think this is the first game that I would say
> that
> it's _REQUIRED_ to be re-clearcoated (or, at the very least, mylared!)
> even
> for _home_ use.
>
> I'm hoping that they have an adjustment to turn off the automatic loop on
> launch; after your first three games it's just like, "ugh... ENOUGH
> already!!"

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:02:16 PM

Thanks for posting such great photos. Warning! Sugercoating off. THAT
IS THE UGLIEST PINBALL MACHINE OF ALL TIME. And i'm not just saying
that because the theme is so incredibly lame and is geared towards
rednecks. The artwork is HORRIFIC!! Terrible colors, aweful fonts,
every color of the rainbow mixed together. Worst of all is the cheap
Beavis and Butthead artwork quality. I mean this thing makes Ripleys
BION look like a masterpiece. The start button? Watch out it will shock
you - lame! Nice target decals - 1980's jet ski artwork? Such a
convincing looking tower too. If we don't have it sign w/ checkered
flag looks like it should be sticking out of a pineapple. Playfiled is
boring, generic, simplistic and cheap looking. The back plastic of the
teal, hot pink and yellow semi is SO COOL - NOT! The cabinet and
backglass are pretty weak as well but my favorite thing is the huge
cabinet wear protectors in case bigfoot drops by for a few games. And
last but certainly not least is the ultra cool looking test car!! In
stunning primer gray (as not to confuse the player that it is a "test"
car not a shiny colorfully painted "race" car) but in case you need
help identifying it as a "test" car it cleary states it ON the CAR and
if you still need help there is a BIG SIGN that says it to - with
arrows. Top round things up, the rest of the game is covered with top
notch ink jet quality decals and plastics. I hope this is a player
because it is certainly NOT a looker.

PinballShark review over.

Rednecks and inbreds flame away, i have my fire retardant NASCAR under
skivies on.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:34:17 PM

> This model (the one in MO) was wear free, BUT it had less than 400
> plays on it - . I can't imagine there being too much differnece in
> the playfields (Korn's tester and this one)... So that is disturbing.
> I'd hate to have these out on route and them get worn like that.
> Maybe owner installed mylar in that area would be an option.... I
> know Stern Reads this stuff, and I'll toss a note up that way as well
> tomorrow....

Where it seems ultra-critical is in the UL portion of the track where the
ball goes over the T-nuts. Right under that section on the test machine is
where something baaaad is starting to go on. If nothing else, mylar the
area directly underneath the t-nuts for 4 or 5 inches IMHO.

And, obviously, around both sets of magnet boosters, although it's really
hard to see if anything is going on at the UR one.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:26:16 PM

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Detailed Nascar Pinball Pictures.
> These were taken with permission from Stern, (we may have taken a few MORE
> pictures with a teeny bit more detail than we initially said, but really,
> it's OK....... we liked it! )

So who's going to be the first to take some video of this machine? I've love
to see how a few of the things work. If only it were close to me, I could do
some HD footage!

- Daniel
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:19:24 AM

Thanks for the pics. Does anyone know what happened to the cabinet
colors on this machine compared to the pics on the Stern website and
the flyers? In those pics the cabinet is a really cool blue and black
checkered pattern and in these pics it is an ugly white and black.

--
Pins - M*M - M*B - A*FM - R*FM - ST*TNG - L*OTR - R*F

Vids - D*nkey Kong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C - C*V - W*H20
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:30:29 AM

I don't think Nascar will be the ugliest pinball machine of all time.
That would be Sopranos :)

Runners-up for ugliest game of all time:
Transporter
Genesis
Paddock (Williams)

Josh
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:37:23 AM

Sure thing...I will post the link here after I get the files.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:11:33 AM

I zipped the pics, but it was a 21Mb file, so I'll have to cut out some
of them... You should have them tonight.

Bernie KCP

Rictor wrote:
> Sure thing...I will post the link here after I get the files.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:34:25 AM

Just break them down into a few zip files if they are too big.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:59:46 PM

Woahhhh Cornholio.
Knock Nascar all you want, just leave Beavis and Butthead out of it!!!
!