aces to have a huge benchmark of Xeon vs Opteron

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
For those of you paying attention. It’s up...

<A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000275" target="_new">http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000275</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I guess I'll be the first to give my useless comments.

The short
One word "butter"

The not so short but just as useless
Net burst keeps the Xeon on the table for rendering, but everywhere else the Opteron is just a party animal. Get up Xeon you’re acting drunk...

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Nice curiosity read, even if I won't be purchasing one in this life. I do like what I see out of Opteron, and that quartet system can be a monster at times. I hope they generate cash flow for AMD so that I can keep enjoying competetion on my destop purchases. :smile:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
It a good server there no question about that.Compresing the I/O traffic put the Xeon on the map.In Data base the result is not as bad for XEON.On 3D rendering and DIEP the xeon performe on part or better that Opteron even the 2.2 GHZ version.IO suggest some of you take DIEP with caution you can find Vicent Diepvienn on Aceshardware forum and realworldtech.

As SUN market is mainly at server apps and have a very large market share.Opteron might be the largest selling webserver fileserver Database server in 1 or 2 year.

I dont like french test

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Cool, good read. Glad to see more stuff like this... now if I could just find someone who needs a big mp system so I could bench a bunch of games on one....

Edit: one bitch though, at certain points when they're talking about the 848 you can't tell how many processors they're using... that makes me a bit nervous about the results since the xeon's weren't mp's they're dp's.

Edit2: That's the other thing too, why doesn't anyone ever compare it to Itanium? I'd love to see those benchies.

Shadus<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shadus on 12/05/03 12:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
To have a benchmark that it call fair in the eye of any communoty of non-professional the hardware base must be the same for platform.Also a lot of Itanium software have a big POG on them which change the performance a lot also what is the good OS to take WIN linux Unix.Benchmarking a 2 way Itanium on any software will prove it to be slower by a good margin in any normal benchmark use to few exception compare to any X86 cpu.

I dont like french test

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I'd say bench on linux, it has opts for both processor types.

I understand alot of the reasons (including cost) that you don't see the Itanium2's being benched, but it really would be nice to see what kinda differences you are looking at in the systems and how they perform and see it from a nonbiased standpoint.

Shadus

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"I'd say bench on linux, it has opts for both processor types."

There's something other than Linux? when did this come about? :)

"I understand alot of the reasons (including cost) that you don't see the Itanium2's being benched, but it really would be nice to see what kinda differences you are looking at in the systems and how they perform and see it from a nonbiased standpoint."

I'd love to see that too. These aren't real world app benches, but they are spec benches that include Itaniums, Xeons, and opterons, with 1 to 4 cpu configurations. It's hosted by a company that sells configurations of all the processors, so they would appear to have a degree of unbiasedness... But yeah, they aren't "real world" benches...

<A HREF="http://www.aspsys.com/hardware/specchart/" target="_new">http://www.aspsys.com/hardware/specchart/</A>

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I'd love to see that too. These aren't real world app benches, but they are spec benches that include Itaniums, Xeons, and opterons, with 1 to 4 cpu configurations. It's hosted by a company that sells configurations of all the processors, so they would appear to have a degree of unbiasedness... But yeah, they aren't "real world" benches...

That why there no Itanium benchmark from media

I dont like french test