windows xp pro won't return from hibernation

September 4, 2005 4:04:01 PM

I just upgraded my computer from windows xp home to windows xp pro, and ever
since then i can't hibernate my computer. . .it gets stuck at the black start
up screen when i try to come back from hibernation. i did get a new wireless
internet card since then, which i though might have been the problem, but i
uninstalled and it still was messed up. I also restored my computer back to
an earlier date to try to resolve this problem, but once again, no luck. Any
ideas?
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:33:55 AM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:04:01 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Dave favored us with...
> I just upgraded my computer from windows xp home to windows xp pro, and ever
> since then i can't hibernate my computer. . .it gets stuck at the black start
> up screen when i try to come back from hibernation. i did get a new wireless
> internet card since then, which i though might have been the problem, but i
> uninstalled and it still was messed up. I also restored my computer back to
> an earlier date to try to resolve this problem, but once again, no luck. Any
> ideas?

I know this is like asking "is it plugged in", but have you tried
tapping a few keys and moving the mouse after a few seconds of that
black screen?

I thought I had a similar problem a few months back, but it was just
that for some reason the Welcome screen didn't repaint itself until
it saw some mouse or keyboard input.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
September 5, 2005 2:33:56 AM

I dont think that's the problem. It freezes on the black screen where it has
the little progress bar when it is loading to start windows and the progress
bar gets all the way complete and then it freezes. . .oh, and it gives me and
error message when I just power it down and restart it manually that gives me
two opitons: 1. delete restoration data and continue with system reboot. 2.
Proceed with system restart. When I select option two, it always gives me a
blue screen error message that never goes away until i power it down
manually. That probably didnt help at all, but that's what it does.

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:04:01 -0700 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Dave favored us with...
> > I just upgraded my computer from windows xp home to windows xp pro, and ever
> > since then i can't hibernate my computer. . .it gets stuck at the black start
> > up screen when i try to come back from hibernation. i did get a new wireless
> > internet card since then, which i though might have been the problem, but i
> > uninstalled and it still was messed up. I also restored my computer back to
> > an earlier date to try to resolve this problem, but once again, no luck. Any
> > ideas?
>
> I know this is like asking "is it plugged in", but have you tried
> tapping a few keys and moving the mouse after a few seconds of that
> black screen?
>
> I thought I had a similar problem a few months back, but it was just
> that for some reason the Welcome screen didn't repaint itself until
> it saw some mouse or keyboard input.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
> days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:49:17 PM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:48:14 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Dave favored us with...
> I dont think that's the problem. It freezes on the black screen where it has
> the little progress bar when it is loading to start windows and the progress
> bar gets all the way complete and then it freezes. . .oh, and it gives me and
> error message when I just power it down and restart it manually that gives me
> two opitons: 1. delete restoration data and continue with system reboot. 2.
> Proceed with system restart. When I select option two, it always gives me a
> blue screen error message that never goes away until i power it down
> manually. That probably didnt help at all, but that's what it does.

Oh. That sounds a little different from what you said before -- maybe
I just didn't understand your earlier description.

If you've tried the usual things like booting into Safe Mode or doing
a repair install then I'm sorry to say I have no useful suggestions.

!