W98 Print Server (HP LJ) cannot serve WinXP

Has anyone tried to install a network printer on a winXP system where the
server uses W98??

I get printer driver incompatibilities. Did I miss a step somewhere??

HP LJ4+ and 4050T on server

SERVER(!!) using Windows 98. My, that's a little unusual.

The LJ4+ and 4050T are both connected to the "server" through parallel ports, or
do they have JetDirect cards? If the former, JetDirect cards for the LJ4+ are
dirt cheap and well worth the investment. The 4050T uses pricier JetDirect
cards.

Windows XP has built-in drivers for both printers, but it probably balks when
you try to install a shared printer on a Windows 98 system. Is that what's
happening?

Install drivers for both printers (one at a time) as local printers, do NOT
print a test page, then change the printer port settings to refer to the device
names on the Windows 98 computer. This ought to work... Ben Myers

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:33:58 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
Myers) wrote:

>SERVER(!!) using Windows 98. My, that's a little unusual.
>
>The LJ4+ and 4050T are both connected to the "server" through parallel ports, or
>do they have JetDirect cards? If the former, JetDirect cards for the LJ4+ are
>dirt cheap and well worth the investment. The 4050T uses pricier JetDirect
>cards.
>
>Windows XP has built-in drivers for both printers, but it probably balks when
>you try to install a shared printer on a Windows 98 system. Is that what's
>happening?
>
>Install drivers for both printers (one at a time) as local printers, do NOT
>print a test page, then change the printer port settings to refer to the device
>names on the Windows 98 computer. This ought to work... Ben Myers
>
>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:07:28 -0400, Salvatore <healer@NoSpamaccesshub.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Has anyone tried to install a network printer on a winXP system where the
>>server uses W98??
>>
>>I get printer driver incompatibilities. Did I miss a step somewhere??
>>
>>HP LJ4+ and 4050T on server

Thanks for your reply.

Have no need for anything special for a print server. 98 does fine for
the little duty required. Older system has ISA slot for extra parallel
port.

Both printers have their own parallel port. Both work fine locally and
through the network from any Win98 Machine. May move everything to XP
after watching sp2 for a while.

Yes, the problem that arises is on WinXP where upon attempting to install
the network printer, the install balks reporting driver incompatibilities.
Even getting around the hitch yields an inoperable printer.

I will try your method when the xp system revisits my location.

Sal

I have a client with a light duty HP PSC500 printer-scanner-copier, which is
attached to an older Dell running Windows 95B and used by other computers for
color printing. I've set up the client's other computers (a mixture of Windows
XP, 2000, NT, and 98) following the procedure I described in my earlier
response. They're running all those operating systems because they do not have
the bucks to invest in replacement computers all at once.

The trick is to get the drivers installed on a computer as required by its
operating system. Fooling the Add Printer "Wizard" by setting up a phantom
local printer is the key to the whole process. Once the local printer with its
device drivers is installed, its port assignment can be changed to refer to a
networked device shared by the computer to which it is attached.

.... Ben Myers