Questions about CPU & motherboard Chipset

Indijones

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
1. What's the difference between P4 2.8CG & 2.8CG Box?
2. Which one is the fastest among 2.8CG & 2.8G?
3. What's the difference between i865G, i865P & i865PE chipsets?

Thanks in advance!

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
1&2 - I've never seen a G on any of the intel chips. There is however a C. C is 800mhz fsb varient of the P4 line. A 2.8c is a 2.8c is a 2.8c. There is a difference between retail box and oem, oem is just a chip and retail is chip and fan (or used to be, I've not bought retail in an age.)
3 - <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard.htm?iid=PCG+devspot&" target="_new">http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard.htm?iid=PCG+devspot&</A>

Shadus

OEM CPUs are usually cheaper... although most of the time the price difference is negligable. The main difference between an OEM processor and a retail box processor (other than a HSF) is the retail box proc has a three year manufacturer warranty. OEM CPUs typically only have a 90-day manufacturer warranty... the reseller is responsible for providing more warranty. In other words, before you buy OEM, make sure the store you're getting it from will take it back beyond it's 90 day warranty. You will also receive no support from Intel on an OEM CPU... much like Microsoft won't help you if you have an OEM copy of Windows.

I think when he said G... he meant GHz. :smile:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Boxed processors come with a 3 year warranty and a cooler (heatsink/fan). The others have NO warranty and no cooler. That is to say, the SELLER is responsible for the warranty on "oem" processors, and they often don't honor that.

I assume by G you mean GHz, gigahertz. Well, the 2.8C has an "800MHz" bus (actual clock of 200MHz), and the 2.8B has a "533MHz" bus (actual clock of 133MHz). I'll assume the one that doesn't say is a "B".

i865PE is the standard 800 bus chipset. i865P are rejects from the i865PE production sold cheaper by Intel, not garunteed by Intel to operate stably at 800 bus (garunteed by intel for 533 bus, often board manufacturers offer more). The i865G is the i865PE plus "Intel Extreme Graphics" built in. Most i865G boards also have an AGP slot should you choose to use a better solution.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ironmike

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
No typo, he must know the guy is from cajun country thus hes only makeing it so he can understand...garunteed...it has to be this because he is the great one....(the Mohamad Ali of the computer sect.)

The man of steel said that

Indijones

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
Thanks a LOT everyone for advice! Yesterday I bought Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000Pro2 motherboard with i865PE chipset, P4 2.6C Ghz processor, 256X2 DRAM to upgrade my computer from P3 733MHz donkey cart. The speed is really GREAT! Thanks again!