FDISK Equivalent To Fix Master Boot Record on Volumes In W..

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 18, 2004 9:53:19 PM

In the old days (Windows 95/98) I could make a boot
floppy disk with utilities such as FDISK, SCANDISK, SYS,
etc., which would allow me to boot from the floppy and do
a number of volume repair functions.

The main example would be running FDISK /MBR to fix a
corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.

What is the equivalent in Windows XP??

Many Thanks
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:02:50 PM

"The_AntiArt" <The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote in message
> In the old days (Windows 95/98) I could make a boot
> floppy disk with utilities such as FDISK, SCANDISK, SYS,
> etc., which would allow me to boot from the floppy and do
> a number of volume repair functions.
>
> The main example would be running FDISK /MBR to fix a
> corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.
>
> What is the equivalent in Windows XP??
>
> Many Thanks

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 5:08:32 AM

Go to dos and initiate

"The_AntiArt" <The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote in message
> In the old days (Windows 95/98) I could make a boot
> floppy disk with utilities such as FDISK, SCANDISK, SYS,
> etc., which would allow me to boot from the floppy and do
> a number of volume repair functions.
>
> The main example would be running FDISK /MBR to fix a
> corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.
>
> What is the equivalent in Windows XP??
>
> Many Thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:01:23 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:53:19 -0400, The_AntiArt
<The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote:

Many Thanks to all.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 4:00:45 PM

"The_AntiArt" <The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote in message
> In the old days (Windows 95/98) I could make a boot
> floppy disk with utilities such as FDISK, SCANDISK, SYS,
> etc., which would allow me to boot from the floppy and do
> a number of volume repair functions.
>
> The main example would be running FDISK /MBR to fix a
> corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.
>
> What is the equivalent in Windows XP??

You will want to boot with the Dell Operating System CD (Windows XP CD)
and that will allow you to get to a "maintenance" prompt with ALMOST all the
utilities you need to fix the system.

moncho
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:37:37 PM

The_AntiArt wrote
> corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.
> What is the equivalent in Windows XP??

see the following KB articles on support.microsoft.com

311073, 308041, 300415
!