FDISK Equivalent To Fix Master Boot Record on Volumes In W..

In the old days (Windows 95/98) I could make a boot
floppy disk with utilities such as FDISK, SCANDISK, SYS,
etc., which would allow me to boot from the floppy and do
a number of volume repair functions.

The main example would be running FDISK /MBR to fix a
corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.

What is the equivalent in Windows XP??

Many Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about fdisk equivalent master boot record volumes

    "The_AntiArt" <The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote in message
    > In the old days (Windows 95/98) I could make a boot
    > floppy disk with utilities such as FDISK, SCANDISK, SYS,
    > etc., which would allow me to boot from the floppy and do
    > a number of volume repair functions.
    >
    > The main example would be running FDISK /MBR to fix a
    > corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.
    >
    > What is the equivalent in Windows XP??
    >
    > Many Thanks

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Go to dos and initiate

    "The_AntiArt" <The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote in message
    > In the old days (Windows 95/98) I could make a boot
    > floppy disk with utilities such as FDISK, SCANDISK, SYS,
    > etc., which would allow me to boot from the floppy and do
    > a number of volume repair functions.
    >
    > The main example would be running FDISK /MBR to fix a
    > corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.
    >
    > What is the equivalent in Windows XP??
    >
    > Many Thanks

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:53:19 -0400, The_AntiArt
    <The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote:

    Many Thanks to all.

    "The_AntiArt" <The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote in message
    > In the old days (Windows 95/98) I could make a boot
    > floppy disk with utilities such as FDISK, SCANDISK, SYS,
    > etc., which would allow me to boot from the floppy and do
    > a number of volume repair functions.
    >
    > The main example would be running FDISK /MBR to fix a
    > corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.
    >
    > What is the equivalent in Windows XP??

    You will want to boot with the Dell Operating System CD (Windows XP CD)
    and that will allow you to get to a "maintenance" prompt with ALMOST all the
    utilities you need to fix the system.

    moncho

    The_AntiArt wrote
    > corrupted master boot record on a hard drive volume.
    > What is the equivalent in Windows XP??

    see the following KB articles on support.microsoft.com

    311073, 308041, 300415

Dell Fdisk Floppy Disk Boot Computers