Sign in with
Your question

Computer hard freezes frequently!

Last response: in Windows 7
November 17, 2012 9:56:27 AM

Hello, I have been having a problem with my computer for awhile now. It pretty much started ever since I upgraded my PC, I installed the new components and bam half a hour later it hard freezes and ended up killing one of my hard drives. Since then I have had my computer hard freeze while playing something resource demanding or just randomly while doing nothing.

I managed to fix the issue by removing the damaged hard drive and everything worked fine. A month or so later I installed windows 8 and then the problem started reoccuring, thinking that it was just win8 problem I went back to windows 7 but the problem is still occuring!

I tried running memtest for 7 hours and it didn't find anything wrong with my hard drive, I bought a new PSU because I thought the one I was using was bad quality and broken, I have tried installing new drivers. I seriously don't know what to do anymore. I tried googling the issue and following some steps what were on there, but no luck.

My specs.
Gigabyte ga-z77-ds3h
4gb ddr3 1333MHz ram
GTX 560ti
Intel i5 3450
Windows 7 64 bit ultimate.
November 17, 2012 11:25:42 AM

Memtest is not a hard drive diagnostic tool -- it is for memory.

Anyway since you´ve not errors running Memtest, and you´ve got a brand new PSU, then your motherboard might have gone, unfortunately.

Just for make sure, what is your new PSU brand and wattage?
m
l
November 17, 2012 11:32:33 AM

Oh, I have no idea what the hell I was thinking while i was posting :heink:  . Yeah I know it is a memory test tool.

My PSU is Corsair 650W
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2012 11:36:30 AM

Sounds like a motherboard issue.
m
l
November 17, 2012 11:46:44 AM

Well any way that I can be sure ? Motherboards are expensive and it's kind of tough to replace one.
m
l
November 17, 2012 11:51:12 AM

Try removing all extra cards/devices (u.g. audio if present) and anything that is plugged into external ports. Go into the BIOS and load defaults then full reinstall windows (allow it to format 1st).

But as jemm said, it could be a defective motherboard.

...and re-check all motherboard connections and seatings - carefully.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2012 12:05:19 PM

The hard drive that you are currently using as system drive. How do you know, it doesn't have bad sectors?
m
l
November 17, 2012 1:30:28 PM

Have you updated the motherboard drivers from Gigabyte's web site?
m
l
November 17, 2012 5:16:58 PM

szaboaz said:
The hard drive that you are currently using as system drive. How do you know, it doesn't have bad sectors?

I just scanned my hard drive using the windows error checking thingy, no errors. The hard drive is not causing the problem.

zdbc13 said:
Have you updated the motherboard drivers from Gigabyte's web site?

I have considered it, but flashing my bios is kind of dangerous and I don't know what revision my motherboard is.

Also when going to the event logs, it gives me this

Spoiler
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

nevermind, fixed that error but it still keeps on freezing.
m
l
November 19, 2012 11:06:12 PM

I meant the meant the chipset, audio, usb, lan, and sata drivers (and bios too if that would help). You could contact Gigabyte and find out if their new bios' would help you out.

Another good troubleshooting technique is to do a fresh install. That will fix numerous problems that crop up over time...
m
l
November 21, 2012 11:18:48 AM

I still haven't had time to open up the computer, going to do so + update my bios today. But well I just got my first blue screen of death today.

Any possiblities that it might be related to the problem ? Could trace the thing back and maybe find out what is causing this freezing.
m
l
November 21, 2012 12:07:12 PM

blue screen is another possible indication of driver problems. Send us the dump.
m
l
November 21, 2012 12:30:53 PM

The thing is, I can't find the dump. There is no "minidump" folder in my windows folder.

And I have it enabled to save dumps.
m
l
November 21, 2012 7:45:44 PM

Updated BIOS, managed to play assassins creed brotherhood for around 1 hour

I think that's it, I would prefer if the thread was kept open though, in case something happens again.
m
l
November 24, 2012 12:10:27 PM

That's great. Did you ever check your motherboard drivers? It's important to keep them up to data.
m
l
!