sticker on heatsink

Edvardas

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
I bought an Intel P4 boxed. and the cooler has a blask sticker on the bottom where the die should contact the cooler. Do I have to remove it???

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Yes remove the black sticker it should be covering a small die shaped thermal compound that is also a type of sticker.
The reason they have changed from the old thermal paste is because it is highly toxic. The white thermal paste is generally a production compound and mostly used in a manufacturing enviroment.

You can still buy thermal paste but it mostly the silver type not white.
There was a rash of this thermal compound that came out of Russia a few years back and the stuff was found to be extremely toxic. If you have any of that goop lying around it says Made In Russia on the tube or small syringe then get rid of it.
Recycle centre would be the best place or take it to the local PC shop they will dispose of it properly.

Another thing to look out for is Crazy Glue it contains a compound called synochrylates and after the glue dries out it turns to a fine white powder this powder is extremely poisonous as well it will block and contaminate Fibre Optic lenses and will cause light loss in the connections.
Nortel has outlawed the product from the Optera main frame components as this powder was found to be the cause of system failures.
So if you have any optical type connections in your P.C keep Crazy Glue away from your P.C

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO! That "black sticker" is the thermal interface material!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG, you told him to remove the thermal pad from his CPU cooler!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

LOL!

I think Crashman now sees why we tell people to beware of SoD's advice. You can remove the black sticker, just make sure you apply thermal compound to the CPU before mounting the heatsink and powering up the computer. I always remove the compound that comes with retail CPUs... unless it happens to be the good stuff. (Xeons come with silver paste, for example)

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Wow, you must like doing harm to people's property...

Just a thought, maybe if you say the opposite of what you think you might get some credit/repsect/a-useful-post/be-right-for-once. Just a thought.

Damn Rambus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It probably wouldn't hurt the machine, but it wouldn't help either. Intel uses a piece of foil with black thermal compound on each side. If you remove the foil, enough of the compound sticks to the cooler that it should work OK anyway. But without the foil, the material is thin enough that it might not make perfect contact with the CPU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why waste your money on AS?

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Works good for me. I'm sure there a million other companies with the same exact product. I can say it dropped 3 degrees on a p4c system compared to the normal pad that intel puts on there.
But.. in general most likely any type of thermal paste made from a good conductor should be good.

Wouldn't it?

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata