deleted lsass.exe

I've really bollocksed up; a friend of mine has the sasser worm and in error
I've deleted (actually, they're in the recycle bin) the lsass.exe and
lsasrv.exe programmes. When the PC is rebooted the Windows XP logo appears
and the blue blocks flick across the screen but then it all goes black ! The
mouse is still connected because the cursor moves at will.

Can someone please help me to get his PC running again ?
4 answers Last reply
More about deleted lsass

    horton916 wrote:

    > I've really bollocksed up; a friend of mine has the sasser worm and in error
    > I've deleted (actually, they're in the recycle bin) the lsass.exe and
    > lsasrv.exe programmes. When the PC is rebooted the Windows XP logo appears
    > and the blue blocks flick across the screen but then it all goes black ! The
    > mouse is still connected because the cursor moves at will.
    >
    > Can someone please help me to get his PC running again ?

    Do a repair install. All windows updates will need to be reinstalled
    afterwards.

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hey, you may just be in luck!.....if they are still in the
    recycle bin just restore them from there.....sounds too
    simple....but that would work, I'm almost positive....may
    require a reboot, not sure....luck and all

    "horton916" <horton916@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    : I've really bollocksed up; a friend of mine has the sasser
    worm and in error
    : I've deleted (actually, they're in the recycle bin) the
    lsass.exe and
    : lsasrv.exe programmes. When the PC is rebooted the
    Windows XP logo appears
    : and the blue blocks flick across the screen but then it
    all goes black ! The
    : mouse is still connected because the cursor moves at will.
    :
    : Can someone please help me to get his PC running again ?

    Hard to restore from the Recycle Bin when you cannot load Windows.

    The OP needs to expand lsass.exe and lsasrv.dll (not .exe) from the I386
    folder on the WinXP CD from the Recovery Console. If Horton needs assistance
    with this, he/she should ask for more specific steps.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

    > Hard to restore from the Recycle Bin when you cannot load Windows.
    >
    > The OP needs to expand lsass.exe and lsasrv.dll (not .exe) from the I386
    > folder on the WinXP CD from the Recovery Console. If Horton needs assistance
    > with this, he/she should ask for more specific steps.

    Will a [silent] replacement from:
    'C:\Windows\$hf_mig$\KB885835\SP2QFE\' or
    'C:\Windows\$hf_mig$\KB885835\SP2GDR\' or
    'C:\Windows\$hf_mig$\KB885835\SP1QFE\'
    happen automagically after that?

    (
    If not, then reupdate with WinXP Security Update ms04-044 (msKB 885835):

    LSASrv.dll 5.1.2600.1597 28-Oct-2004 01:29 681,984 SP1QFE

    LSASrv.dll 5.1.2600.2525 28-Oct-2004 01:21 721,920 SP2GDR
    LSASrv.dll 5.1.2600.2525 28-Oct-2004 01:28 721,920 SP2QFE
    )

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Lsass.Exe Microsoft Windows XP