Weird Athlon boot problem (cpu speed error)

atek3

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2003
Hi I bought a shuttle Spacewalker AN35N-Ultra mobo, 512 mb pc3200 ram made by ocz, an athlon 2600+ barton core 333 fsb, and a radeon 9700 pro, from new egg. I put together my box, and after some finagling I got it to boot, the wierd thing though is that my award bios reports the CPU as an athlon XP at 1150 mhz, whats the deal? bad chip, or wrong settings, or what?

(also for some reason my computer won't boot w/ the 3.5 inch drive hooked up, it says 'floppy disk fail(40) and halts on boot. I tried reversing the FDD1 cable on both ends, and the power connector is a standard 4 pin right? Oh well.)

thanks,
atek3

PS i got a mup.sys error reboot problem when win xp was loading, so I 'repaired my win xp' but infortunatly the setup program crashes'

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You may have a defective floppy. As for the 1150 MHz I'd bet the farm that you've got the bios set to 100 MHz fsb and not the 166 I assume it's supposed to be. Either way, it's almost certainly a bios setting problem. Go into the bios and change it.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

atek3

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2003
thanks, fixing the FSB moved it up to 2600+.

however, still having floppy probs, annoying because it worked before i replaced all the internals.

atek3

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are many ways you can put on an unkeyed floppy cable. Also, many floppy drives aren't notched for the external key, making it impossible to put them on the right way without modifying something (usually such drives have a spot on the interface card that you can break out).

Pin 1 on a floppy is oposite Pin1 on the rest of your drives. Usually it's located normally on the motherboard however. Red stripe of cable to pin 1. "A" drive connects just past the "twist" in the cable. Your floppy drive light should flash and turn off at boot if it's cabled correctly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Pin 1 on a floppy is oposite Pin1 on the rest of your drives.

Not always, Crash. :smile:

I've seen floppy drives with Pin 1 toward the power (like IDE devices) or away from the power. It is annoying, but floppy drives can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG no, that's not how it's done. The Floppy can have power on EITHER side of the drive. As you face the rear of the drive, IDE drives have pin1 on the right, floppies have pin1 on the left.

Now, this is almost always true. I've even seen IDE drives that didn't follow that rule, but they were so rare as to not be worth mentioning!

So if the floppy has pin1 on the left as you face the rear, but the power is on the left, pin1 faces power. If power is on the right, pin1 faces away from power. Either way, pin1 is on the left for the floppy, and on the right for IDE, as you face the rear of the drives.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>