Your question

Athlon upgrade question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Chip
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2003 11:09:16 PM

Right now I have an AMD 1.4GHZ Athlon chip. I want to know if it is possible to upgrade this with my current motherboard or not. My mother board is an ASUS A7A266. I don't know much about computers so I'd have to have a shop in town replace the chip and the video card too. But what I need to know is if it can be done at all?

Also, right now my computer sounds like a waterfall because it's so damn loud. It's got at least 3 fans inside. I have no idea why such a slow processer needs so many fans. Is upgrading the chip only going to make the computer louder? Any advice you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

More about : athlon upgrade question

December 6, 2003 12:00:03 AM

You should be able to with no problems. Check the asus site to make sure, but a 2600+ Barton would do you nicely.

The 1.4 Athlon was a hot chip, so that's why it needs so much cooling. You could probably turn off one of the case fans if it really bothered you, but definitely leave that cpu fan going.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
December 6, 2003 12:02:26 AM

Yep... looks like you can support any of the 266 MHz. FSB Athlons. Here is the Asus CPU finder site...

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

As for noise, you should buy one of AMD's retail CPU's with their own HSF which is very quiet. As for your case fans, you could get one of those add on speed controllers that will let you slow them down.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!
Related resources
December 6, 2003 12:05:52 AM

You should be able to use Athlon XP 2400+ with BIOS update.

Quote:
Also, right now my computer sounds like a waterfall because it's so damn loud. It's got at least 3 fans inside. I have no idea why such a slow processer needs so many fans.

Athlon 1.4 GHz is the hottest AMD cpu ever. It sucks ~74W (max). Athlon XP 2400+ sucks ~68W (max). It shouldn't make your computer louder. AMD retail HSFs are fairly silent.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 6, 2003 12:11:05 AM

Some heatsink fans run at close to 5000 rpm. I would get a zalman "fan mate 1" or similar product, and reduce your rpms to 3200-3500, if you don't overclock. Some of the better heatsinks come with an adjuster, but the fan mate 1 is only $5-7. You just plug your heatsink fan into the adjuster, and plug the adjuster into the cpu fan header on the mobo. Install when the system is turned off.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2003 3:25:12 AM

With the latest BIOS you should be able to run an Athlon XP2400+. These boards were a bit problematic, so you might have to work a few bugs out afterwards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 6, 2003 10:23:19 PM

Is the board a 266 or 266a revision. I have an msi kt266 and it will only take up to a palomino 2000. The kt266a version of my board would take upto an xp 2600. Double check at the asus website to make sure.
!