Sign in with
Your question

G2420HDBL - is BenQ a reliable brand?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 23, 2010 9:27:35 PM

Previous monitors have come with PCs I bought - mostly Dell over the last eight years or so.

I've just built myself a new PC and want to compliment it with a new widescreen monitor.

The BenQ G2420HDBL (LED backlit) seems to do well in customer reviews on the likes of Dabs and Ebuyer.

However, I'm nervous of the brand - tending to favour the recognisable Samsung and LG. So does BenQ stack up against these bigger brands?

As for the model itself, does anyone have a view on it?

Finally, I see the best price of £149.99 delivered at OYYY.co.uk... Again, I'm used to Dabs and Ebuyer. Are Oyyy any good?

So many questions, I'm sorry. Anyway, thanks for your help,

Alex.
a c 195 C Monitor
November 23, 2010 11:49:02 PM

Generally speaking BenQ is considered a Tier 2 brand name. The means the name is not widely known but products made by that brand name is generally good in terms of quality. That does not apply to every single product though. Even Tier 1 brands like Dell, Samsung, NEC, HP can produce a crappy product.

Asus is another example of a Tier 2 brand name when it comes to monitors.

Hanns-G is an example of a Tier 3 brand name. Everything they produce is either below average or crap in terms of quality.
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2010 12:46:13 AM

BenQ is actually a leading brand for monitors and projector. Just that their operations is not very big in the US. They are much more available in Europe and even Canada. They make VA panels too and not just TN like Asus and Acer.

Try a BenQ EW2420 instead. AM-VA panel, 3000:1 Static Contrast, LED backlit.
It is available here in Canada but I have had some trouble finding it in United States.
November 24, 2010 9:13:51 PM

Thanks for your help everyone.

After further analysis, I've taken the plunge with BenQ, but opted for an EW2420 as suggested above. For my use (amateur photography, general home PC use and light gaming, esp FSX), it looks like it will fit the bill very well.

I'd previously seen this model and read good reviews, but it has been hard to find a supplier with stock. Ebuyer.com restocked today and I grabbed one for £170.

Thanks again,

Alex.
!