Broadband Speed

September 5, 2005 1:00:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there anyway this can be checked?

This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?

Thanks.

More about : broadband speed

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:00:01 AM

Mahesh Patel wrote:

> I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there anyway this can be checked?
>
> This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?
>
> Thanks.

dslreports.com - Speed test
http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=2

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:00:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You can also run NetStatLive from www.analogx.com

"Mahesh Patel" <anon@global.com> wrote in message

| I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part
of C&W in the UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per
second download. Is there anyway this can be checked?

| This company is the only one offering such a high speed
while its rivals are offering only 2 mb per second for the
same price. Surely there must be a catch somewhere and if
so how can this be checked?

| Thanks.

Related resources
September 5, 2005 1:52:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Mahesh Patel" <anon@global.com> wrote in message

> I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the
> UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there
> anyway this can be checked?
>
> This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals
> are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must
> be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?
>
> Thanks.

Hi
Speeds of 8mb can only be achieved by cable
A max of 2mb From landine
Go here for a test
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
Chas
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:52:13 AM

"Chas" <charles@prattindustriestheobvious.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o Xf8IKZsFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Mahesh Patel" <anon@global.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the
>> UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there
>> anyway this can be checked?
>>
>> This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals
>> are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must
>> be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Hi
> Speeds of 8mb can only be achieved by cable
> A max of 2mb From landine
> Go here for a test
> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
> Chas

Funny; I have 5MBps DSl (landline). Didn't know I was getting something
that does not exist.

FWIW, a broadband Cable provider can "claim" whatever they want. What they
actually deliver is quite different. Be aware that you are sharing the
"*MBps" with everyone on your "node", so in the evening you speeds will be
reduced due to the large number of users sharing "the pipe". This does not
occur with DSL.

DSL is quite capable of greater speeds than cable, provided you FIOS to the
home. Cable has a theoretical 8MBps, but due to broadcat overhead and
multiplexing, real world limit is just under 6MBps with cable.

In my case I have fibre to the curb, thus the 5MBps limitation. It costs
less than cable, and I get the bandwidth I am paying for all the time,
unlike cable.

YMMV.

Bobby

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:29:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Mahesh Patel wrote:

> I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there anyway this can be checked?
>
> This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:53:06 PM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:59:03 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
<no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:

> Be aware that you are sharing the
>"*MBps" with everyone on your "node", so in the evening you speeds will be
>reduced due to the large number of users sharing "the pipe". This does not
>occur with DSL.

This is just another of those myths of broadband that DSL providers
use to try to convince cable internet users that the DSL service is
better.

This alleged "slow down" has never occurred on my cable internet
hookup no matter what time of day I am using it.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:35:14 PM

In news:vcmoh1562e35l6kqgs12410n60o6pjo26a@4ax.com,
Rctfreek <Rctfreek> typed:

> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:59:03 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
> <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Be aware that you are sharing the
>> "*MBps" with everyone on your "node", so in the evening you
>> speeds
>> will be reduced due to the large number of users sharing "the
>> pipe".
>> This does not occur with DSL.
>

> This is just another of those myths of broadband that DSL
> providers
> use to try to convince cable internet users that the DSL
> service is
> better.
>
> This alleged "slow down" has never occurred on my cable
> internet
> hookup no matter what time of day I am using it.

If that's your experience, I'm glad to hear it, but you're
apparently more fortunate than most. I know many cable
subscribers who have experienced it. I'm a DSL user myself and
can't personally attest to it, but it clearly occurs, at least in
some locations and at some times.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:06:32 PM

In article <vcmoh1562e35l6kqgs12410n60o6pjo26a@4ax.com>, Rctfreek
says...
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:59:03 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
> <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Be aware that you are sharing the
> >"*MBps" with everyone on your "node", so in the evening you speeds will be
> >reduced due to the large number of users sharing "the pipe". This does not
> >occur with DSL.
>

> This is just another of those myths of broadband that DSL providers
> use to try to convince cable internet users that the DSL service is
> better.
>
> This alleged "slow down" has never occurred on my cable internet
> hookup no matter what time of day I am using it.

Yea, DSL is shared to - at the network back end, so, like with many DSL
providers, they over-sell and you don't get the performance the
"suggest" that you might get.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote

> Yea, DSL is shared to - at the network back end, so, like with many DSL
> providers, they over-sell and you don't get the performance the
> "suggest" that you might get.

At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the WPA
and WGA hoops.

Alias
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:14:17 PM

In article <uMLY7xisFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
maskedandanonymous.org says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote
> >
> > Yea, DSL is shared to - at the network back end, so, like with many DSL
> > providers, they over-sell and you don't get the performance the
> > "suggest" that you might get.
>
> At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the WPA
> and WGA hoops.

Wrong, you have a WGA/WPA type situation with SBC DSL - you have to
Install their software in order to validate before they will let you
have open internet access with their services. We just did 11 different
SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed
in order to Authenticate with SBC and enable the modem to be used for
out of SBC access.

I've also seen this happen in another ISP that provides Cable service
(can't remember the ISP name, but I could get it if you need the
reference).

What about all the Hotels that require you to get a Key before they will
let you use their Hot-Spot access - seems like, under your ideas, that
they are assuming customers are thieves too.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
September 5, 2005 9:43:49 PM

> In article <uMLY7xisFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> maskedandanonymous.org says...
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote
>> >
>> > Yea, DSL is shared to - at the network back end, so, like with many DSL
>> > providers, they over-sell and you don't get the performance the
>> > "suggest" that you might get.
>>
>> At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the
>> WPA
>> and WGA hoops.
>
> Wrong, you have a WGA/WPA type situation with SBC DSL - you have to
> Install their software in order to validate before they will let you
> have open internet access with their services. We just did 11 different
> SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed
> in order to Authenticate with SBC and enable the modem to be used for
> out of SBC access.

I have cable and installed no software to get it going other than XP. I have
friends with ADSL and same story.

> I've also seen this happen in another ISP that provides Cable service
> (can't remember the ISP name, but I could get it if you need the
> reference).

Perhaps it's a JesusLand trip, assuming everyone is a thief.

> What about all the Hotels that require you to get a Key before they will
> let you use their Hot-Spot access - seems like, under your ideas, that
> they are assuming customers are thieves too.

I would suspect they are trying to prevent non registered hotel patrons from
accessing their WiFi. That's called security, not activation.

Alias
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:43:50 PM

In article <enzScCjsFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
maskedandanonymous.org says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <uMLY7xisFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> > maskedandanonymous.org says...
> >>
> >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote

> >> At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the
> >> WPA
> >> and WGA hoops.
> >
> > Wrong, you have a WGA/WPA type situation with SBC DSL - you have to
> > Install their software in order to validate before they will let you
> > have open internet access with their services. We just did 11 different
> > SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed
> > in order to Authenticate with SBC and enable the modem to be used for
> > out of SBC access.
>
> I have cable and installed no software to get it going other than XP. I have
> friends with ADSL and same story.

I didn't say it impacted every one - just the last 6 months of SBC DSL
we've installed and one Broad-Band provider.

> > I've also seen this happen in another ISP that provides Cable service
> > (can't remember the ISP name, but I could get it if you need the
> > reference).
>
> Perhaps it's a JesusLand trip, assuming everyone is a thief.
>
> > What about all the Hotels that require you to get a Key before they will
> > let you use their Hot-Spot access - seems like, under your ideas, that
> > they are assuming customers are thieves too.
>
> I would suspect they are trying to prevent non registered hotel patrons from
> accessing their WiFi. That's called security, not activation.

I don't see how that's different that trying to prevent unauthorized
people from running/using Windows software? In either case the provider
assumes that I'm not suppose to use their service by default.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
September 5, 2005 9:55:01 PM

> In article <enzScCjsFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> maskedandanonymous.org says...
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> > In article <uMLY7xisFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
>> > maskedandanonymous.org says...

>> > Wrong, you have a WGA/WPA type situation with SBC DSL - you have to
>> > Install their software in order to validate before they will let you
>> > have open internet access with their services. We just did 11 different
>> > SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed
>> > in order to Authenticate with SBC and enable the modem to be used for
>> > out of SBC access.
>>
>> I have cable and installed no software to get it going other than XP. I
>> have
>> friends with ADSL and same story.
>
> I didn't say it impacted every one - just the last 6 months of SBC DSL
> we've installed and one Broad-Band provider.

I should have rephrased that. In Spain, no Internet provider requires
activation. Tell the idiots at SBC that they can turn it over at their
central office and authentication isn't necessary.

>> > I've also seen this happen in another ISP that provides Cable service
>> > (can't remember the ISP name, but I could get it if you need the
>> > reference).
>>
>> Perhaps it's a JesusLand trip, assuming everyone is a thief.

Hello?

>> > What about all the Hotels that require you to get a Key before they
>> > will
>> > let you use their Hot-Spot access - seems like, under your ideas, that
>> > they are assuming customers are thieves too.
>>
>> I would suspect they are trying to prevent non registered hotel patrons
>> from
>> accessing their WiFi. That's called security, not activation.
>
> I don't see how that's different that trying to prevent unauthorized
> people from running/using Windows software? In either case the provider
> assumes that I'm not suppose to use their service by default.

I never claimed you were capable of thinking logically.

Alias
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:55:02 PM

In article <eMbHtIjsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
maskedandanonymous.org says...
> I should have rephrased that. In Spain, no Internet provider requires
> activation. Tell the idiots at SBC that they can turn it over at their
> central office and authentication isn't necessary.

I would agree, many of the DSL providers only require a user/password
and everything works out of the box. I don't know why SBC started doing
this, but it's a pain.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
September 5, 2005 11:13:48 PM

> In article <eMbHtIjsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> maskedandanonymous.org says...
>> I should have rephrased that. In Spain, no Internet provider requires
>> activation. Tell the idiots at SBC that they can turn it over at their
>> central office and authentication isn't necessary.
>
> I would agree, many of the DSL providers only require a user/password
> and everything works out of the box. I don't know why SBC started doing
> this, but it's a pain.

So that their name appears on OE and IE?

Alias
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:13:49 PM

In article <er6Eu0jsFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
maskedandanonymous.org says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <eMbHtIjsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> > maskedandanonymous.org says...
> >> I should have rephrased that. In Spain, no Internet provider requires
> >> activation. Tell the idiots at SBC that they can turn it over at their
> >> central office and authentication isn't necessary.
> >
> > I would agree, many of the DSL providers only require a user/password
> > and everything works out of the box. I don't know why SBC started doing
> > this, but it's a pain.
>
> So that their name appears on OE and IE?

No, you only need the software to "activate" the DSL modem so that it
will provide proper outbound access. Until you activate it, you can only
reach their service via their software.

Once you set it up, unless you know enough to ask for it to be
configured for BRIDGE MODE you get a hacked private IP with a funky DNS
setting. It is like having a NAT with all ports forwarded inbound, but
it won't always do DNS properly if you install a router.....

Once it's done, you can do anything, but it's getting it setup that is
the PITA.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
September 6, 2005 12:03:03 AM

> In article <er6Eu0jsFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> maskedandanonymous.org says...
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> > In article <eMbHtIjsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
>> > maskedandanonymous.org says...
>> >
>> > I would agree, many of the DSL providers only require a user/password
>> > and everything works out of the box. I don't know why SBC started doing
>> > this, but it's a pain.
>>
>> So that their name appears on OE and IE?
>
> No, you only need the software to "activate" the DSL modem so that it
> will provide proper outbound access. Until you activate it, you can only
> reach their service via their software.
>
> Once you set it up, unless you know enough to ask for it to be
> configured for BRIDGE MODE you get a hacked private IP with a funky DNS
> setting. It is like having a NAT with all ports forwarded inbound, but
> it won't always do DNS properly if you install a router.....
>
> Once it's done, you can do anything, but it's getting it setup that is
> the PITA.

You're giving me a headache just thinking about it.

Alias
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:03:04 AM

In article <OyYcPQksFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
maskedandanonymous.org says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <er6Eu0jsFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> > maskedandanonymous.org says...
> >>
> >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

> >> So that their name appears on OE and IE?
> >
> > No, you only need the software to "activate" the DSL modem so that it
> > will provide proper outbound access. Until you activate it, you can only
> > reach their service via their software.
> >
> > Once you set it up, unless you know enough to ask for it to be
> > configured for BRIDGE MODE you get a hacked private IP with a funky DNS
> > setting. It is like having a NAT with all ports forwarded inbound, but
> > it won't always do DNS properly if you install a router.....
> >
> > Once it's done, you can do anything, but it's getting it setup that is
> > the PITA.
>
> You're giving me a headache just thinking about it.

Yea, it was a real pain when they started that. I won't use SBC if we
get a chance. There are many simple DSL ISP's that just require a
user/password and the connection work - public IP, no port blocking,
etc... Makes setting up a inbound network easy and painless. SBC just
makes it hard for some unknown reason.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
March 8, 2010 10:27:50 AM

Hi cool !!
In order to check your Broadband speed click on to this site http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/
I did my internet speed test in this site & got nice solution ..
My internet speed test is quite fine ..
This site provide internet speed test at cheap cost & they are very much good in providing services ...
!