Broadband Speed

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there anyway this can be checked?

This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?

Thanks.
18 answers Last reply
More about broadband speed
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Mahesh Patel wrote:

    > I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there anyway this can be checked?
    >
    > This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?
    >
    > Thanks.

    dslreports.com - Speed test
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=2

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You can also run NetStatLive from www.analogx.com

    "Mahesh Patel" <anon@global.com> wrote in message

    | I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part
    of C&W in the UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per
    second download. Is there anyway this can be checked?

    | This company is the only one offering such a high speed
    while its rivals are offering only 2 mb per second for the
    same price. Surely there must be a catch somewhere and if
    so how can this be checked?

    | Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Mahesh Patel" <anon@global.com> wrote in message

    > I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the
    > UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there
    > anyway this can be checked?
    >
    > This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals
    > are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must
    > be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi
    Speeds of 8mb can only be achieved by cable
    A max of 2mb From landine
    Go here for a test
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
    Chas
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Chas" <charles@prattindustriestheobvious.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Mahesh Patel" <anon@global.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the
    >> UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there
    >> anyway this can be checked?
    >>
    >> This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals
    >> are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must
    >> be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Hi
    > Speeds of 8mb can only be achieved by cable
    > A max of 2mb From landine
    > Go here for a test
    > http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
    > Chas

    Funny; I have 5MBps DSl (landline). Didn't know I was getting something
    that does not exist.

    FWIW, a broadband Cable provider can "claim" whatever they want. What they
    actually deliver is quite different. Be aware that you are sharing the
    "*MBps" with everyone on your "node", so in the evening you speeds will be
    reduced due to the large number of users sharing "the pipe". This does not
    occur with DSL.

    DSL is quite capable of greater speeds than cable, provided you FIOS to the
    home. Cable has a theoretical 8MBps, but due to broadcat overhead and
    multiplexing, real world limit is just under 6MBps with cable.

    In my case I have fibre to the curb, thus the 5MBps limitation. It costs
    less than cable, and I get the bandwidth I am paying for all the time,
    unlike cable.

    YMMV.

    Bobby

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Mahesh Patel wrote:

    > I have taken out a subscription to Bulldog broadband (part of C&W in the UK) which claims to supply [upto] 8 MB per second download. Is there anyway this can be checked?
    >
    > This company is the only one offering such a high speed while its rivals are offering only 2 mb per second for the same price. Surely there must be a catch somewhere and if so how can this be checked?
    >
    > Thanks.

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:59:03 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:

    > Be aware that you are sharing the
    >"*MBps" with everyone on your "node", so in the evening you speeds will be
    >reduced due to the large number of users sharing "the pipe". This does not
    >occur with DSL.

    This is just another of those myths of broadband that DSL providers
    use to try to convince cable internet users that the DSL service is
    better.

    This alleged "slow down" has never occurred on my cable internet
    hookup no matter what time of day I am using it.

    In news:vcmoh1562e35l6kqgs12410n60o6pjo26a@4ax.com,
    Rctfreek <Rctfreek> typed:

    > On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:59:03 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    > <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Be aware that you are sharing the
    >> "*MBps" with everyone on your "node", so in the evening you
    >> speeds
    >> will be reduced due to the large number of users sharing "the
    >> pipe".
    >> This does not occur with DSL.
    >

    > This is just another of those myths of broadband that DSL
    > providers
    > use to try to convince cable internet users that the DSL
    > service is
    > better.
    >
    > This alleged "slow down" has never occurred on my cable
    > internet
    > hookup no matter what time of day I am using it.

    If that's your experience, I'm glad to hear it, but you're
    apparently more fortunate than most. I know many cable
    subscribers who have experienced it. I'm a DSL user myself and
    can't personally attest to it, but it clearly occurs, at least in
    some locations and at some times.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In article <vcmoh1562e35l6kqgs12410n60o6pjo26a@4ax.com>, Rctfreek
    says...
    > On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:59:03 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    > <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Be aware that you are sharing the
    > >"*MBps" with everyone on your "node", so in the evening you speeds will be
    > >reduced due to the large number of users sharing "the pipe". This does not
    > >occur with DSL.
    >

    > This is just another of those myths of broadband that DSL providers
    > use to try to convince cable internet users that the DSL service is
    > better.
    >
    > This alleged "slow down" has never occurred on my cable internet
    > hookup no matter what time of day I am using it.

    Yea, DSL is shared to - at the network back end, so, like with many DSL
    providers, they over-sell and you don't get the performance the
    "suggest" that you might get.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote

    > Yea, DSL is shared to - at the network back end, so, like with many DSL
    > providers, they over-sell and you don't get the performance the
    > "suggest" that you might get.

    At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the WPA
    and WGA hoops.

    Alias

    In article <uMLY7xisFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    maskedandanonymous.org says...

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote
    > >
    > > Yea, DSL is shared to - at the network back end, so, like with many DSL
    > > providers, they over-sell and you don't get the performance the
    > > "suggest" that you might get.
    >
    > At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the WPA
    > and WGA hoops.

    Wrong, you have a WGA/WPA type situation with SBC DSL - you have to
    Install their software in order to validate before they will let you
    have open internet access with their services. We just did 11 different
    SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed
    in order to Authenticate with SBC and enable the modem to be used for
    out of SBC access.

    I've also seen this happen in another ISP that provides Cable service
    (can't remember the ISP name, but I could get it if you need the
    reference).

    What about all the Hotels that require you to get a Key before they will
    let you use their Hot-Spot access - seems like, under your ideas, that
    they are assuming customers are thieves too.

    --

    > In article <uMLY7xisFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    > maskedandanonymous.org says...
    >>
    >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote
    >> >
    >> > Yea, DSL is shared to - at the network back end, so, like with many DSL
    >> > providers, they over-sell and you don't get the performance the
    >> > "suggest" that you might get.
    >>
    >> At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the
    >> WPA
    >> and WGA hoops.
    >
    > Wrong, you have a WGA/WPA type situation with SBC DSL - you have to
    > Install their software in order to validate before they will let you
    > have open internet access with their services. We just did 11 different
    > SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed
    > in order to Authenticate with SBC and enable the modem to be used for
    > out of SBC access.

    I have cable and installed no software to get it going other than XP. I have
    friends with ADSL and same story.

    > I've also seen this happen in another ISP that provides Cable service
    > (can't remember the ISP name, but I could get it if you need the
    > reference).

    Perhaps it's a JesusLand trip, assuming everyone is a thief.

    > What about all the Hotels that require you to get a Key before they will
    > let you use their Hot-Spot access - seems like, under your ideas, that
    > they are assuming customers are thieves too.

    I would suspect they are trying to prevent non registered hotel patrons from
    accessing their WiFi. That's called security, not activation.

    Alias

    In article <enzScCjsFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    maskedandanonymous.org says...

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <uMLY7xisFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    > > maskedandanonymous.org says...
    > >>
    > >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote

    > >> At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the
    > >> WPA
    > >> and WGA hoops.
    > >
    > > Wrong, you have a WGA/WPA type situation with SBC DSL - you have to
    > > Install their software in order to validate before they will let you
    > > have open internet access with their services. We just did 11 different
    > > SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed
    > > in order to Authenticate with SBC and enable the modem to be used for
    > > out of SBC access.
    >
    > I have cable and installed no software to get it going other than XP. I have
    > friends with ADSL and same story.

    I didn't say it impacted every one - just the last 6 months of SBC DSL
    we've installed and one Broad-Band provider.

    > > I've also seen this happen in another ISP that provides Cable service
    > > (can't remember the ISP name, but I could get it if you need the
    > > reference).
    >
    > Perhaps it's a JesusLand trip, assuming everyone is a thief.
    >
    > > What about all the Hotels that require you to get a Key before they will
    > > let you use their Hot-Spot access - seems like, under your ideas, that
    > > they are assuming customers are thieves too.
    >
    > I would suspect they are trying to prevent non registered hotel patrons from
    > accessing their WiFi. That's called security, not activation.

    I don't see how that's different that trying to prevent unauthorized
    people from running/using Windows software? In either case the provider
    assumes that I'm not suppose to use their service by default.

    --

    > In article <enzScCjsFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    > maskedandanonymous.org says...
    >>
    >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    >> > In article <uMLY7xisFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    >> > maskedandanonymous.org says...

    >> > Wrong, you have a WGA/WPA type situation with SBC DSL - you have to
    >> > Install their software in order to validate before they will let you
    >> > have open internet access with their services. We just did 11 different
    >> > SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed
    >> > in order to Authenticate with SBC and enable the modem to be used for
    >> > out of SBC access.
    >>
    >> I have cable and installed no software to get it going other than XP. I
    >> have
    >> friends with ADSL and same story.
    >
    > I didn't say it impacted every one - just the last 6 months of SBC DSL
    > we've installed and one Broad-Band provider.

    I should have rephrased that. In Spain, no Internet provider requires
    activation. Tell the idiots at SBC that they can turn it over at their
    central office and authentication isn't necessary.

    >> > I've also seen this happen in another ISP that provides Cable service
    >> > (can't remember the ISP name, but I could get it if you need the
    >> > reference).
    >>
    >> Perhaps it's a JesusLand trip, assuming everyone is a thief.

    Hello?

    >> > What about all the Hotels that require you to get a Key before they
    >> > will
    >> > let you use their Hot-Spot access - seems like, under your ideas, that
    >> > they are assuming customers are thieves too.
    >>
    >> I would suspect they are trying to prevent non registered hotel patrons
    >> from
    >> accessing their WiFi. That's called security, not activation.
    >
    > I don't see how that's different that trying to prevent unauthorized
    > people from running/using Windows software? In either case the provider
    > assumes that I'm not suppose to use their service by default.

    I never claimed you were capable of thinking logically.

    Alias

    In article <eMbHtIjsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    maskedandanonymous.org says...
    > I should have rephrased that. In Spain, no Internet provider requires
    > activation. Tell the idiots at SBC that they can turn it over at their
    > central office and authentication isn't necessary.

    I would agree, many of the DSL providers only require a user/password
    and everything works out of the box. I don't know why SBC started doing
    this, but it's a pain.

    --

    > In article <eMbHtIjsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    > maskedandanonymous.org says...
    >> I should have rephrased that. In Spain, no Internet provider requires
    >> activation. Tell the idiots at SBC that they can turn it over at their
    >> central office and authentication isn't necessary.
    >
    > I would agree, many of the DSL providers only require a user/password
    > and everything works out of the box. I don't know why SBC started doing
    > this, but it's a pain.

    So that their name appears on OE and IE?

    Alias

    In article <er6Eu0jsFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    maskedandanonymous.org says...

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <eMbHtIjsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    > > maskedandanonymous.org says...
    > >> I should have rephrased that. In Spain, no Internet provider requires
    > >> activation. Tell the idiots at SBC that they can turn it over at their
    > >> central office and authentication isn't necessary.
    > >
    > > I would agree, many of the DSL providers only require a user/password
    > > and everything works out of the box. I don't know why SBC started doing
    > > this, but it's a pain.
    >
    > So that their name appears on OE and IE?

    No, you only need the software to "activate" the DSL modem so that it
    will provide proper outbound access. Until you activate it, you can only
    reach their service via their software.

    Once you set it up, unless you know enough to ask for it to be
    configured for BRIDGE MODE you get a hacked private IP with a funky DNS
    setting. It is like having a NAT with all ports forwarded inbound, but
    it won't always do DNS properly if you install a router.....

    Once it's done, you can do anything, but it's getting it setup that is
    the PITA.

    --

    > In article <er6Eu0jsFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    > maskedandanonymous.org says...
    >>
    >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    >> > In article <eMbHtIjsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    >> > maskedandanonymous.org says...
    >> >
    >> > I would agree, many of the DSL providers only require a user/password
    >> > and everything works out of the box. I don't know why SBC started doing
    >> > this, but it's a pain.
    >>
    >> So that their name appears on OE and IE?
    >
    > No, you only need the software to "activate" the DSL modem so that it
    > will provide proper outbound access. Until you activate it, you can only
    > reach their service via their software.
    >
    > Once you set it up, unless you know enough to ask for it to be
    > configured for BRIDGE MODE you get a hacked private IP with a funky DNS
    > setting. It is like having a NAT with all ports forwarded inbound, but
    > it won't always do DNS properly if you install a router.....
    >
    > Once it's done, you can do anything, but it's getting it setup that is
    > the PITA.

    You're giving me a headache just thinking about it.

    Alias

    In article <OyYcPQksFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    maskedandanonymous.org says...

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <er6Eu0jsFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
    > > maskedandanonymous.org says...
    > >>
    > >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

    > >> So that their name appears on OE and IE?
    > >
    > > No, you only need the software to "activate" the DSL modem so that it
    > > will provide proper outbound access. Until you activate it, you can only
    > > reach their service via their software.
    > >
    > > Once you set it up, unless you know enough to ask for it to be
    > > configured for BRIDGE MODE you get a hacked private IP with a funky DNS
    > > setting. It is like having a NAT with all ports forwarded inbound, but
    > > it won't always do DNS properly if you install a router.....
    > >
    > > Once it's done, you can do anything, but it's getting it setup that is
    > > the PITA.
    >
    > You're giving me a headache just thinking about it.

    Yea, it was a real pain when they started that. I won't use SBC if we
    get a chance. There are many simple DSL ISP's that just require a
    user/password and the connection work - public IP, no port blocking,
    etc... Makes setting up a inbound network easy and painless. SBC just
    makes it hard for some unknown reason.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me