Eight Ball 2 Ball Reset

Accomplishing my annual attempt at figuring out why my 2 ball drops on the
2X-5X reset, I have reviewed the schematics for the solenoid expander board
and I see it shows a #44 bulb/socket and also a diode showing from one of
the socket lugs to GND on the lamp which sits next to the solenoid expander
board. I have a 555 socket/light and no diode on the fixture itself. Is this
ok? Maybe a closeup picture from someone that has a properly operating 2/10
ball reset. Thanks

Steve

>Accomplishing my annual attempt at >figuring out why my 2 ball drops on the
>2X-5X reset

Just trying to understand...when the games resets the 2X-5X targets it
also drops the 2-ball target?

The lamp for my Sol Exp doesn't have a diode at the socket either.

>>Accomplishing my annual attempt at >figuring out why my 2 ball drops on the
>>2X-5X reset

>Just trying to understand...when the games resets the 2X-5X targets it
>also drops the 2-ball target?

OK, if this is the case, it looks like power is getting supplied to
both solenoids all the time. The solenoid expander is supposed to
toggle that voltage between solenoid pairs. To see if the S.E. is
toggling, enter Solenoid Test and fire the 7-Bank reset. Does the
8-Ball saucer fire as well? Now fire the Outhole solenoid, does the 1/9
target get dropped? If no, then the S.E. would appear to be working.
Check your manual for wire colors and pinouts and make sure they're all
in the right spot. Check the wires going from the 2/10 drop solenoid
and make sure it goes where it's supposed to. Check the backside of the
connector on the S.E. board and make sure there's not a blob of solder
between pins 4, 5, and 7. Lastly, check the diodes on the 2/10 drop
solenoid and 4-bank reset solenoid.

Let us know what you turn up.

Doesn't the Sol Expander light light up with the GI? I seem to recall
that the lamp is not really a controlled lamp but used as a load.

>Doesn't the Sol Expander light light up with the GI? I seem to recall
>that the lamp is not really a controlled lamp but used as a load.

No, then it would never toggle. It is on a single SCR lamp driver
circuit.

Hi there,

Just got done dealing with this problem myself. Here's the scoop....

All 7 coils that work via the solenoid expander board MUST have 2 properly
working diodes as indicated by the schematic. Also, the coil with the diode
problem isn't necessarily the coil you are having problems with. EXAMPLE, I
was having problem with the 2-drop going down with the 4-bank reset, as well
as the outhole firing with the saucer. However the coils that needed the
second diodes were the 2 coils on the 7-bank reset and the outhole, the
coils on the 2-drop and 4-bank were fine.

If your saucer, outhole, 1-drop and 7-bank reset seem to work ok, then your
expander board is working and no need to look there.

If you have more questions, drop me a note.

-Jeff

"Chappie" <schappel@iland.net> wrote in message
> Accomplishing my annual attempt at figuring out why my 2 ball drops on the
> 2X-5X reset, I have reviewed the schematics for the solenoid expander
> board and I see it shows a #44 bulb/socket and also a diode showing from
> one of the socket lugs to GND on the lamp which sits next to the solenoid
> expander board. I have a 555 socket/light and no diode on the fixture
> itself. Is this ok? Maybe a closeup picture from someone that has a
> properly operating 2/10 ball reset. Thanks
>
> Steve

It is only when the 2X-5X targets reset that the 2 ball drops. If the 2 ball
is up and I don't hit the 2X drop target when the ball kicks out the 2 ball
does not drop. So the outhole is not causing it, just the resetting of the
2X-5X bank makes it drop. The wires appear to be wired like the schematics
point out. I have been down the diode path I think on the last two annual
attempts. Is there anything on the circuit board that can cause this? I
believe I have replaced the Q14 transistor during one attempt so I think
that is ok. Diodes on the 4 target bank switches?? Bridge??? Thanks

Steve