Sign in with
Your question

CPU fan speed

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2003 9:38:11 PM

I just build a system on a MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R motherboard with P4 3Ghz and 800Mhz system bus
Everything seems to be ok
but when I play a game the cpu is running on 5800rpm and the cpu temperature is 58 degrees Celsius

I think 5800 rpm is too much and too loud of corse
is this normal or something is wrong in my pc
my system bus is set to 200 Mhz

More about : cpu fan speed

December 6, 2003 10:00:12 PM

Where did you get that reading from?

Is the heatsink/fan installed correctly?
Made sure it clamped down on it all the way?

Is your cpu vcore higher than 1.7?
Do you have any other case fans to help ciculate air in the case?

I used that same board and I also get the same fan rpm's..
curious. The smart fan connector though is used up by the mobo's fan. The other two fan slots are just dummy fan slots. They just go.

But.. if you understand what the performance mode actually does let me know.
If i put it on turbo.. and have a fsb of 220 it's lower scores than if i put it on a slower setting being "fast"... and put the fsb to 215. Weird stuff.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata
December 7, 2003 1:22:09 AM

No I never tried the turbo mode I don't think I need it
my CPU is retail box with original heat sink and fan

there is only one CPU fan plug on the motherboard
I have an case fan which is powered from the power supply
these is one more fan on the mobo North Bridge fan which is not sinning the NB reads 65 degrees celsius more than the CPU
Related resources
December 7, 2003 2:09:21 AM

Heck my 2.4C OCed to 3.0 hits 64C - 65C gaming.
December 7, 2003 2:30:21 AM

I read the data from the MSI Core Center the software that is supplied with the mobo
what are the RPM's when playing game
you can read them right after you exit the game
let me know
December 7, 2003 4:31:33 AM

:/  sorry i can't help.
Crashman might know something.

I hope he knows what the hell that turbo mode does on that board.. cuz the manual doesn't say crap about it.
And now i'm kinda scared that the temp reading on the mobo is messed up.
When i go into bios and let it go till it doesn't rise anymore it usually stops at 44. That's right after halo and ut2003 and 3dmark.
It's only oc'd 13x220 so.. i didn't think it would go much higher.
Or maybe I got a freak really cool pentium.. in that case i'm going to buy it off my friend and oc it till it pops.
:) 

also.. like i said i'm getting about the same readings for fan rpm. The NB fan goes to like 6k.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Johanthegnarler on 12/07/03 01:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 9, 2003 3:26:02 PM

your fan speed has nothing to do with your system being "bad" that is not an unusual fan speed, nothing wrong at all, however if you dont like the noise, buy a quieter one, 58c isnt all that hot.....but make sure you have some thermal paste like arctic silver 5 or similar between the heatsink and cpu die, that junk they pre apply to the bottom of the heatsink at the factory is not good stuff....when i removed it and applied thermal paste, my temp dropped 11c, not bad i think....was running 49c now runs 38c under load.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
December 15, 2003 11:07:24 PM

thanks
I ordered some artic silver 5 thermal paste and I got a new NB fan from MSI the NB fan speed reads 5800 RPM??
any of you have the same motherboar?
December 15, 2003 11:17:34 PM

my freind has an 865 chipset msi board (forget the exact model) however i have to say that fuzy logic software is crap, close it, download and install motherboard monitor and i am sure you will get more accurate readings. I cannot stress enough to have only one hardware monitor running at a time or else the readings get really screwed up.

BTW fuzy logic was readding his temps as 50-70c!

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
December 17, 2003 4:58:09 AM

I don't have the exact same M/B as you but I do have an MSI board. Its the Neo2-LS board and I've noticed the same problem with the temp sensor. I basically don't trust the reading from MSI's core centre as it read between 4 to 5 degrees higher than Motherboard monitor (for me at least). I bought the Vantac Aeroflow cooler and she appears to be doing a pretty good job, 55 degrees idle, 57 degrees under load, this is w/o any overclocking.
!