XP Pro installed, BSoD on boot-up, starting from CD hangs.

I recently upgraded Windows XP from Home to Pro.

The installation completed mostly without incident (see below*), but when I
rebooted after the setup, I get to the Windows XP Professional startup screen
with the windows logo and progress bar, and then immediately a Blue Screen of
Death with the following error code:
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF896163c, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

The next time it booted, it gave me the option to start in Safe mode,
networked mode, command-prompt mode, 'last good configuration' mode, or
normal mode.

All of these halt at startup with the same error code.

So, I tried to boot from the installation CD to rerun the setup, or repair
the installation, or what have you. But, I can't seem to boot from the CD.
When I try, it says, 'Press any key to boot from CD...'; then when I press a
key, it says 'Scanning hardware configuration...' (paraphrased), then the
screen goes black, no text, and my hard drive starts working like crazy. I've
left it like this for 12 hours at a time and nothing changes.

I've found no way to boot into Windows XP, and no way to repair the
installation with the CD, as it never even gives me a menu.

I know my partition isn't corrupted -- right now I'm booted onto Linux
(thank god, or I'd be without a computer entirely), and my windows partition
is mounted and reads fine.

If I can't resolve this, I guess I'm going to just back all my important
files up and then give the whole hard drive to Linux, which isn't my first
choice in solutions.

*There was one error during the installation, saying it couldn't find the
driver for my flash card reader, but that's not really concerning.
5 answers Last reply
More about installed bsod boot starting hangs

    Oh, and another thing. I wanted to contact Microsoft support about this, but
    in order to do that without paying the outrageous $35 fee, I have to have my
    product identification number, which I can't get because I can't boot...seems
    like circular requirements (I can only get support if I don't have a problem).

    Is there any way I can find this number out using either my CD key, or
    manually searching the registry through Linux?

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:00:02 -0700, "erydo"
    <erydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I recently upgraded Windows XP from Home to Pro.
    >
    >The installation completed mostly without incident (see below*), but when I
    >rebooted after the setup, I get to the Windows XP Professional startup screen
    >with the windows logo and progress bar, and then immediately a Blue Screen of
    >Death with the following error code:
    >STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF896163c, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
    >
    >The next time it booted, it gave me the option to start in Safe mode,
    >networked mode, command-prompt mode, 'last good configuration' mode, or
    >normal mode.
    >
    >All of these halt at startup with the same error code.
    >
    >So, I tried to boot from the installation CD to rerun the setup, or repair
    >the installation, or what have you. But, I can't seem to boot from the CD.
    >When I try, it says, 'Press any key to boot from CD...'; then when I press a
    >key, it says 'Scanning hardware configuration...' (paraphrased), then the
    >screen goes black, no text, and my hard drive starts working like crazy. I've
    >left it like this for 12 hours at a time and nothing changes.
    >
    >I've found no way to boot into Windows XP, and no way to repair the
    >installation with the CD, as it never even gives me a menu.
    >
    >I know my partition isn't corrupted -- right now I'm booted onto Linux
    >(thank god, or I'd be without a computer entirely), and my windows partition
    >is mounted and reads fine.
    >
    >If I can't resolve this, I guess I'm going to just back all my important
    >files up and then give the whole hard drive to Linux, which isn't my first
    >choice in solutions.
    >
    >*There was one error during the installation, saying it couldn't find the
    >driver for my flash card reader, but that's not really concerning.

    Looks to me like you have a corrupted / confused boot sector wihch
    does not have a video driver configured for XP startup, especially if
    safe mode won't work. I would guess the Linux installation is the root
    cause of the problem - ie its drivers - windows has either no video
    driver configured for start up or it has a linux driver which it
    cannot use. Therfore it bangs out with a boot sector error message and
    running off the CD wont work because there is no valid video driver.

    This knowlege base article seems to cover your problem.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122926#kb2

    I had a similar linux / windows conflict based disaster a few years
    back, got out of it eventually by using a drive image restore.

    I think you will end up having to wipe and re-install the lot, but
    hopefully somebody here will know a way out.

    JonaH

    Thanks for the reply, but I highly doubt that a video driver is the root of
    the problem, otherwise I'd be able to get at least into command prompt mode;
    niether should the linux partition interfere in any way -- as far as Windows
    is concerned, it's just a partition that it can't read and doesn't care
    about...linux drivers conflicting with windows ones is not plausible.

    The default fallback video drivers included with windows obviously work,
    because I've been able to get into safe mode before in home edition, and I
    was able to run the pro install (which is graphical) just fine.

    I've read that technical article you've posted before; however, it doesn't
    give me any sort of viable solution to the problem. I can't reinstall
    windows, because for some reason booting from the CD isn't working properly,
    and I can't fix the problem because I can't get to a command prompt, other
    than through linux.

    Any other help would be most welcome.

    "erydo" <erydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I recently upgraded Windows XP from Home to Pro.
    >
    >The installation completed mostly without incident (see below*), but when I
    >rebooted after the setup, I get to the Windows XP Professional startup screen
    >with the windows logo and progress bar, and then immediately a Blue Screen of
    >Death with the following error code:
    >STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF896163c, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
    >
    >The next time it booted, it gave me the option to start in Safe mode,
    >networked mode, command-prompt mode, 'last good configuration' mode, or
    >normal mode.
    >
    >All of these halt at startup with the same error code.

    A Stop 0x0000007B means INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

    The following is from
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_xlxv.asp

    ******
    "The second parameter is very important because it can indicate
    whether the 0x7B Stop message was caused by file system issues or
    problems with storage hardware and drivers. Values of 0xC000034 or
    0xC000000E typically indicate:

    Disks or storage controllers that are failing, defective, or
    improperly configured.
    Storage-related drivers or programs (tape management software, for
    example) that are not fully compatible with Windows XP Professional."
    ******

    I suggest that you go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site and
    download their free diagnostic utility and run that to check out the
    drive.

    Also see MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for STOP errors at
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm and click on the "7B:
    Inaccessible Boot..." link in the left side column for additional
    information and articles regarding this error.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:27:01 -0700, "erydo"
    <erydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply, but I highly doubt that a video driver is the root of
    >the problem, otherwise I'd be able to get at least into command prompt mode;
    >niether should the linux partition interfere in any way -- as far as Windows
    >is concerned, it's just a partition that it can't read and doesn't care
    >about...linux drivers conflicting with windows ones is not plausible.
    >
    >The default fallback video drivers included with windows obviously work,
    >because I've been able to get into safe mode before in home edition, and I
    >was able to run the pro install (which is graphical) just fine.
    >
    >I've read that technical article you've posted before; however, it doesn't
    >give me any sort of viable solution to the problem. I can't reinstall
    >windows, because for some reason booting from the CD isn't working properly,
    >and I can't fix the problem because I can't get to a command prompt, other
    >than through linux.
    >
    >Any other help would be most welcome.

    Sorry Erydo I got the impression you were getting video problems
    during boot up - the error you quoted is a boot sector error code.

    Jonah

Blue Screen CD-Rom Windows XP