Hard Drive Interface Follow Up

Thanks to everyone who chimned in on my question about EIDE and ATA
100 hard drives. There was some question at to whether my system
would recognize the hard drive I was interested in buying from a buddy
of mine. The hard drive in question was a 200 Gig Seagate model. I
have a Dell Dimension 8200 (2.53 Ghz, 512 RDRAM, WinXP SP1) with an
existing 80 Gig Seagate hard drive. After some search (Googled for
about half a day!) as to the ability of my current system to recognize
anything beyond 127 Gigs I read several reports where people were
having success doing just that.

Inspired by their success, and the fact that my buddy told me that if
the new drive was not recognized by my system as being 200 Gig's, he'd
refund my money, I figured I had nothing to loose :) First thing I
did was to download and install Intel's Application Accelerator
(http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/IAA/). I then connected the
new drive and when booting up went into the system's BIOS and told it
to auto recognize the new drive. After booting into Windows I ran
Partition Magic 7.0. After formatting and creating 3 partitions and
rebooting my system, Windows showed all but 10 Gigs (which I think
this is normal due to the way bytes are calculated), that being, 190
Gigs.

Anyway, just wanted to share with everyone what I found out and how I
accomplished this installation.

Mike

Thanks for reporting back. I admit I was wrong on this one :)

Good to know.

Tom
"Mike Smith" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to everyone who chimned in on my question about EIDE and ATA
> 100 hard drives. There was some question at to whether my system
> would recognize the hard drive I was interested in buying from a buddy
> of mine. The hard drive in question was a 200 Gig Seagate model. I
> have a Dell Dimension 8200 (2.53 Ghz, 512 RDRAM, WinXP SP1) with an
> existing 80 Gig Seagate hard drive. After some search (Googled for
> about half a day!) as to the ability of my current system to recognize
> anything beyond 127 Gigs I read several reports where people were
> having success doing just that.
>
> Inspired by their success, and the fact that my buddy told me that if
> the new drive was not recognized by my system as being 200 Gig's, he'd
> refund my money, I figured I had nothing to loose :) First thing I
> did was to download and install Intel's Application Accelerator
> (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/IAA/). I then connected the
> new drive and when booting up went into the system's BIOS and told it
> to auto recognize the new drive. After booting into Windows I ran
> Partition Magic 7.0. After formatting and creating 3 partitions and
> rebooting my system, Windows showed all but 10 Gigs (which I think
> this is normal due to the way bytes are calculated), that being, 190
> Gigs.
>
> Anyway, just wanted to share with everyone what I found out and how I
> accomplished this installation.
>
> Mike

way to go. you had nothing to "loose"!