Update Corp Version

Sorry is this has been gone over before, but I purchased and installed
about 30 "corporate" versions of XP and now when I try to do an
update, MS tells me that I can't/number invalid BUT that it's a
corporate version that was probably used to install a large number...
yadda, yadda, yadda in essence telling me I'm legit (I am) BUT not
letting me update.

Did I miss something along the way?

I've been told that this is a pirated version - the ones that have
told me that haven't read or visited MS's site.

Am I going to have to "upgrade" to XP Pro? Which I also own as I don't
work for the company anymore?
16 answers Last reply
More about update corp version

    The version you have installed is not valid since the license
    belonged to the company you worked for and not you.
    What you need to do is purchase a "Full Version" of
    "Windows XP Professional" and perform a "Repair Install".
    You'll need to purchase a new copy for each computer.

    Example:

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102153

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > The version you have installed is not valid since the license
    > belonged to the company you worked for and not you.
    > What you need to do is purchase a "Full Version" of
    > "Windows XP Professional" and perform a "Repair Install".
    > You'll need to purchase a new copy for each computer.

    You sure do have a one-track mind. Let's read the OP's
    question in another perspective. Let us assume that he
    is a business and has, indeed, bought a volume license
    for 30 computers. They can be bought, you know, from
    CDW, Insight, etc., and are totally legitimate. In fact,
    even Microsoft was advising all those wishing to do multiple
    installations to buy the 5-unit, volume license packs (for a
    paltry $10 discount off retail equivalent price per license.)

    Let's also assume that he isn't smart enough to be an MCSE
    in networking and NT/2000/XP. As a MVP, someone identified
    to be capable of promoting Microsoft in **best** light, and
    with your prejudices that everyone is guilty of theft, piracy,
    etc., until proven otherwise are set aside, how would you
    advise this writer?

    If all you know is to quote KB articles and Microsoft URL
    addresses by rhyme and verse, without putting any thought
    into the reasons for the questions or what's going in the
    real world with with WU, WGA, etc., then turn in your MVP.
    Remember, MVP is a given credential and not really earned.
    IOW, be a part of the solution.

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:04:56 -0700, info@gmpc.Pull-my-finger.com
    wrote:

    >Sorry is this has been gone over before, but I purchased and installed
    >about 30 "corporate" versions of XP and now when I try to do an
    >update, MS tells me that I can't/number invalid BUT that it's a
    >corporate version that was probably used to install a large number...
    >yadda, yadda, yadda in essence telling me I'm legit (I am) BUT not
    >letting me update.
    >
    >Did I miss something along the way?
    >

    >I've been told that this is a pirated version - the ones that have
    >told me that haven't read or visited MS's site.
    >
    >Am I going to have to "upgrade" to XP Pro? Which I also own as I don't
    >work for the company anymore?

    I am a little confused here.

    Don't you mean a volume license version not a corporate versions?
    Corporate version were for the past operating systems. Since you
    system did activate. Your system should be legal. You might try
    using sus service tool. Sometimes that can do better then the wga
    tool.

    If you don't work for the company anymore why do you need to worry
    about updating 30 computers?

    Just because it says you are using a illegal versions does not mean
    you have an illegal version. (Carey will say you do)

    I don't know if the key fix would work for you situation you might
    want to try it first.

    http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/key.html

    Carey will say that won't work. It may or may not.

    Greg Ro

    Microsoft is pretty good at picking up the install keys from the pirated
    software. Where did you purchase your 30 "corporate" installs from (BTW,
    there is no such animal as Windows XP corporate. That is the underworld talk
    for pirated.). If you didn't obtain a valid "volume license" from Microsoft,
    you didn't get the real thing and your money was wasted.

    Yes, you will have to purchase Windows XP professional (full install - if
    you don't have any qualifying software for the upgrade version). And the
    illegal "corporate" version does not count as qualifying software, as many
    have found out.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    <info@gmpc.Pull-my-finger.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry is this has been gone over before, but I purchased and installed
    > about 30 "corporate" versions of XP and now when I try to do an
    > update, MS tells me that I can't/number invalid BUT that it's a
    > corporate version that was probably used to install a large number...
    > yadda, yadda, yadda in essence telling me I'm legit (I am) BUT not
    > letting me update.
    >
    > Did I miss something along the way?
    >

    > I've been told that this is a pirated version - the ones that have
    > told me that haven't read or visited MS's site.
    >
    > Am I going to have to "upgrade" to XP Pro? Which I also own as I don't
    > work for the company anymore?

    It's entirely evident you are part of the problem
    and not part of the solution. Please move on
    and troll elseware....

    If you read between the lines as some people can with experience that comes to this question(which is posted often) you will then know why Carey gave that answer. And it was the right answer to give from an MVP or anybody that can see between those lines posted by the OP

    --
    Peter

    "Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in message news:OXlD4HasFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> The version you have installed is not valid since the license
    >> belonged to the company you worked for and not you.
    >> What you need to do is purchase a "Full Version" of
    >> "Windows XP Professional" and perform a "Repair Install".
    >> You'll need to purchase a new copy for each computer.
    >
    > You sure do have a one-track mind. Let's read the OP's
    > question in another perspective. Let us assume that he
    > is a business and has, indeed, bought a volume license
    > for 30 computers. They can be bought, you know, from
    > CDW, Insight, etc., and are totally legitimate. In fact,
    > even Microsoft was advising all those wishing to do multiple
    > installations to buy the 5-unit, volume license packs (for a
    > paltry $10 discount off retail equivalent price per license.)
    >
    > Let's also assume that he isn't smart enough to be an MCSE
    > in networking and NT/2000/XP. As a MVP, someone identified
    > to be capable of promoting Microsoft in **best** light, and
    > with your prejudices that everyone is guilty of theft, piracy,
    > etc., until proven otherwise are set aside, how would you
    > advise this writer?
    >
    > If all you know is to quote KB articles and Microsoft URL
    > addresses by rhyme and verse, without putting any thought
    > into the reasons for the questions or what's going in the
    > real world with with WU, WGA, etc., then turn in your MVP.
    > Remember, MVP is a given credential and not really earned.
    > IOW, be a part of the solution.

    >Microsoft is pretty good at picking up the install keys from the pirated
    >software. Where did you purchase your 30 "corporate" installs from (BTW,
    >there is no such animal as Windows XP corporate. That is the underworld talk
    >for pirated.). If you didn't obtain a valid "volume license" from Microsoft,
    >you didn't get the real thing and your money was wasted.

    Check the Miscrosoft site.

    >Yes, you will have to purchase Windows XP professional (full install - if
    >you don't have any qualifying software for the upgrade version). And the
    >illegal "corporate" version does not count as qualifying software, as many
    >have found out.

    info@gmpc.Pull-my-finger.com wrote:
    > Sorry is this has been gone over before, but I purchased and installed
    > about 30 "corporate" versions of XP and now when I try to do an
    > update, MS tells me that I can't/number invalid BUT that it's a
    > corporate version that was probably used to install a large number...
    > yadda, yadda, yadda in essence telling me I'm legit (I am) BUT not
    > letting me update.
    >
    > Did I miss something along the way?

    Yes, you missed the fact that there is no such thing as WinXP
    "Corporate Edition." That is a term applied exclusively to pirated
    (iow, stolen) copies of the Volume Licensed WinXP Pro by the "warez"
    aficionados.

    > I've been told that this is a pirated version - the ones that have
    > told me that haven't read or visited MS's site.

    I'm sorry, but the meaning of the above sentence escapes me. Are you
    trying to claim that there is such a thing? If so, you're the one who
    hasn't looked at Microsoft's web sites.

    > Am I going to have to "upgrade" to XP Pro? Which I also own as I don't
    > work for the company anymore?

    If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
    following:

    The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

    You need to purchase and a _legitimate_ volume license and use the
    method here to change the Product Key:

    HOW TO Change the Volume Licensing Product Key on a Windows XP SP1-Based
    Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328874

    You could also purchase and use 30 retail full licenses of WinXP Pro to
    perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation on each
    computer, using the new CDs and Product Keys.

    You should also report whomever sold you this license to your local
    law enforcement agencies; you've been defrauded.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:53:38 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >If you read between the lines as some people can with
    >experience that comes to this question(which is posted often) you will then
    >know why Carey gave that answer. And it was the right answer to give from an
    >MVP or anybody that can see between those lines posted by the OP

    Peter I would not trust Carey.

    Carey had no right to call Mistoffolees a troll.

    The only reason Carey called this person a troll is the don't agree
    with him/her. I am surprised Carey has not called me a troll because
    I have very rarely agreed with him/her. Most of the time I disagree
    with him/her.

    Greg Ro

    Not this time . Also read what Bruce posted here. It is very evident.

    --
    Peter

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:55:00 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Not this time . Also read what Bruce posted here. It is very evident.

    That your opinion not mine. I will stick to what I posted before in
    this thread. I would not trust Carey.

    Your are assuming the copy was bought incorrectly. It maybe legit
    version(S) detected as illegal version. Don't say that can not
    happen. It does,

    What even worse Wga is detecting some pirated version as legit.

    Greg Ro

    Greg

    If the OP had bought volume licenses, the reference would have been to
    'volume license' and NOT 'corporate', which is the term for pirated copies
    of XP Pro..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

    > Greg
    >
    > If the OP had bought volume licenses, the reference would have been to
    > 'volume license' and NOT 'corporate', which is the term for pirated copies
    > of XP Pro..

    I really do not care what Carey calls me. I have supported
    Microsoft since the mid-1980's and I have moved many users
    from Unix to MS-DOS and on to Windows, from 2.0 through XP.
    I can comfortably retire on the Microsoft shares that I have
    been acquiring since the stock went public in the 1980's. I
    just hope that controversy like this does not cheapen it.

    For all the years that I have worked with computers, since
    1970's, we have our own jargon which gets perfused into the
    community. And I know of many "volume" purchasers who still
    call their versions of Windows "corporate". Purchasers from
    the centers I deal with still ask for "corporate" discounts
    and we know that the right wording should be "volume". And
    even when I place orders through the distribution affiliates,
    some of their sales staff even call "volume licenses" as
    "corporate".

    It's time to cut some slack for the OP's, help them out in
    the best way at resolving their problems and get out of this
    and not get involved into any controversy. There isn't any.

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:55:38 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >If the OP had bought volume licenses, the reference would have been to
    >'volume license' and NOT 'corporate', which is the term for pirated copies
    >of XP Pro..

    Microsoft website said op the had a corporate version. Microsoft does
    detect some legit version as a pirated computer.

    People using legal version of previous operating system call it a
    corporate version and may mean the volume license version.

    Greg Ro

    >Worthless post....

    Really sad how useless you are. I've forgotten more then you know.

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:46:39 -0700, Donald L McDaniel
    <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

    snip

    Had enough of you Donald you got no sense of either humour or
    proportion. Go exchange posts with pcbutts that will keep you amused.

    kerplonk!

    Jonah

    >What YOU call "Corp version" is ACTUALLY called "Volume License" by
    >Microsoft, NOT "Corp version", which is a common designation for one
    >of the earliest cracked versions of XP.
    >
    >If you DOWNLOADED your OS, you have a cracked version, unless you are
    >a member of MSDN or an official Microsoft beta tester. ALL
    >unauthorized downloads of XP's installation files are PIRATED
    >versions, not official Microsoft releases (which are obtained by
    >purchasing a PHYSICAL CD or DVD.)
    >
    >Donald L McDaniel
    >Please reply to the original thread.
    >If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    >from my email address before sending.

Microsoft Windows XP Product