Sign in with
Your question

PC Won't Power Up

Last response: in CPUs
December 7, 2003 5:34:57 PM

Hello, All -
I am wondering if someone can help me with an issue I am having with one of my desktops. It is a cheap white box with a 1 GHz T-Bird and mostly generic components. The issue I am having is that it won't power up. When I turn it on the CPU fan will spin and then shut down. I have to then uplug the power supply from the MB to attempt turning it on again. I have removed all components and memory and have now tried two different power supplies and fans. The processor has some black on the edges but does not look toasted. The original power supply does smell like it burnt it self out. Any suggestions on what to check next or what could have gong wrong?? At this point I have to assume it is the MB or the processor...

More about : power

December 7, 2003 7:55:14 PM

Some mobos won't boot if they don't think a CPU fan is plugged in. Are you sure you've plugged the HSF into a header labelled CPU_FAN on the board?

Did it just suddenly fail, or is a system you've just built?

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
December 7, 2003 11:37:35 PM

It was a bare bones system when I bought it (mobo, cpu, fan & ps) and it has been running for ~1 year. The machine will start and run for about 1 to 2 seconds and then shut itself down. I am guessing the mobo has a fuse and it is tripping so that the cpu does not get fried??? Thanks for your quick reply ChipDeath!!
Related resources
December 8, 2003 12:03:36 AM

You removed the memory? It needs ram in order to POST

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
December 8, 2003 12:39:36 AM

silverpig - the machine is shutting down completly almost as if a fuse has been tripped. With no memory I would think it would at least try to boot and give me some beeps so that I could at least check the codes?? no???
December 8, 2003 12:54:43 AM

I'm pretty sure you need RAM for it to boot/POST...

Damn Rambus.
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2003 3:19:27 AM

It should start without RAM, and either sit there doing nothing with the fans running, or beep a memory error.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 8, 2003 4:14:55 AM

True, but can't you just put the memory in anyways? At least that way you'll KNOW for sure.

If not, then try using a different PSU, swap out the mobo/whatever... basically just use process of elimination if you can.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
December 8, 2003 4:35:48 AM

Sounds like a short. But then again if the cpu had some black on it.. and the PSU smells burnt.. then maybe the psu went kamikazee.

Make sure there is no metal touching the bottom of the motherboard. Or anything making any kind of bridge between connections on the mobo.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata
December 8, 2003 2:49:14 PM

My old 1GHz Athlon on my IBM motherboard won't do sh!t without RAM...maybe it varies by board.

I think I'm going to throw up.
!