Best install method for Laserjet 4500 n

Hello,

We have an HP Laserjet 4500 n here in the office that is currently
shared off a Windows 2000 workstation. I was wondering what might be
the best way to configure it so that it can continue to function as a
network printer. It currently has its on LAN ip assigned to it but
I'm confused why it apparently needs to be shared off a Windows
workstation. Can it function as its own server, ie with a Netbios
name / workgroup? Just looking for some general advice since someone
decided to chuck the documentation...

-Cliff

Cliff,

Any HP LaserJet equipped with a JetDirect card can be set up to operate
autonomously, independently of any computer in the network. I just did this
recently for a client whose previous reseller (or maybe someone else?) has set
up the printer shared from a computer that was not always in use.

There may be other ways to do it, but I suggest downloading and installing HP's
Install Network Printer Wizard on at least one of the computers. From there,
you can set up the printer for shared independent use. Make sure you use a
fixed IP address, if you are not doing so already.

The printer will work just fine with today's usual TCP/IP stack. No other
network software needed... Ben Myers

On 14 Sep 2004 07:16:36 -0700, cliff.meyers@gmail.com (Cliff Meyers) wrote:

>Hello,
>

>We have an HP Laserjet 4500 n here in the office that is currently
>shared off a Windows 2000 workstation. I was wondering what might be
>the best way to configure it so that it can continue to function as a
>network printer. It currently has its on LAN ip assigned to it but
>I'm confused why it apparently needs to be shared off a Windows
>workstation. Can it function as its own server, ie with a Netbios
>name / workgroup? Just looking for some general advice since someone
>decided to chuck the documentation...
>

>-Cliff

Ben,

That sounds great. I'm assuming it has the JetDirect card since a
port identified as "jetdirect" (tcp/9100) shows up when I run NMAP
against the HP printer's IP. I'll locate the piece of software you
mentioned and give it a try. Thanks for your help.

-Cliff

Cliff Meyers <cliff.meyers@gmail.com> wrote:

> That sounds great. I'm assuming it has the JetDirect card since a
> port identified as "jetdirect" (tcp/9100) shows up when I run NMAP
> against the HP printer's IP. I'll locate the piece of software you
> mentioned and give it a try. Thanks for your help.

(Please don't top-post, as it makes replying difficult.)

With 2000 or XP, all you need to do is find the IP address of the
printer; printing a test page will show it.

Add a new printer and choose "create port", "Standard TCP/IP Port"
rather than letting the system try to autodetect it. Enter the
printer's IP address, and that's it.

Sometimes when the printer's current IP address is outside the local network
domain AND the printer itself does not have the capability to modify network
settings (e.g. 2100 and 2200 series LaserJets or any printer with an external
JetDirect like the newer 1300N), the HP utility is very useful. It enables you
to detect the JetDirect by specifying its MAC address. Also you can give it an
explicit IP address, when known and in the domain, and it sets up the printer
for you. The HP Install Network Printer Wizard is a little easier to use. But,
yes, the Win 2000 or Win XP standard Add Printer mechanism can frequently
accomplish the same end result... Ben Myers

Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message news:<slrnckhjtc.ifd.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>...

> With 2000 or XP, all you need to do is find the IP address of the
> printer; printing a test page will show it.
>
> Add a new printer and choose "create port", "Standard TCP/IP Port"
> rather than letting the system try to autodetect it. Enter the
> printer's IP address, and that's it.

That ended up working just great for me. The Install Network Printer
wizard looks like a good way to remotely to change some options with
the printer so you don't have to deal with the cumbersome menus on the
front of the unit itself. I changed the IP address and then installed
it very quickly on each machine using the TCP/IP port. Thanks guys!
I really appreciate the help.

I bet the 4500n works a lot better now... Ben Myers

On 16 Sep 2004 07:52:50 -0700, cliff.meyers@gmail.com (Cliff Meyers) wrote:

>Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message news:<slrnckhjtc.ifd.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>...
>>
>> With 2000 or XP, all you need to do is find the IP address of the
>> printer; printing a test page will show it.
>>
>> Add a new printer and choose "create port", "Standard TCP/IP Port"
>> rather than letting the system try to autodetect it. Enter the
>> printer's IP address, and that's it.
>
>That ended up working just great for me. The Install Network Printer
>wizard looks like a good way to remotely to change some options with
>the printer so you don't have to deal with the cumbersome menus on the
>front of the unit itself. I changed the IP address and then installed
>it very quickly on each machine using the TCP/IP port. Thanks guys!
>I really appreciate the help.

TRENDING THREADS